Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:44 pm 

Abuelo's Mexican Food Embassy. They have the best Marqaritas and they also have this cheese dip they give you with nachos that is killer. The service we received was the best. The food is really good. iIt located at the Coastal Grand Mall.. My Husband and I visited there last Friday. I highly recommend this place. The prices are really reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:23 am 

Here is another vote for Abuelo's. We went there last fall partly because we like to try new restaurants and partly because one of our party had been to an Abuelo's in Dallas. this man loves to eat, so it sounded like a good enough endorsement to give it a try.

First of all, the place is beautiful inside, which may or may not be of concern to you as a serious eater, but I like a place that makes me feel good about walking in for the first time. Unlike a place like Burro Loco, which is designed to resemble a Mexican cantina, Abuelo's presents a very upscale image. Nothing wrong with Burro Loco; don't misunderstand me, but very different atmospheres.

Now, as far as the main attraction--the food--You get huge portions. The plates are about a foot across and they fill them will very good Mexican and Tex/Mex types of entrees. The prices were reasonable and the beer was cold. All in all, I recommend this restaurant.

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
Jim Valvano 1946-1993

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:57 pm 

Abuelo's is a restaurant worth visiting because of the beautiful decor and great food (reasonably priced). We shopped all day at the Coastal Grand Mall then visited Abuelo's Restaurant. My husband had the best tasting steak and our waiter (David) was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the various dishes. Will definitely go back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:03 pm 

We also LOVED this place. I was initially intimidated when we first went in because it is SO nice/pretty inside. The margaritas were great, and the food was SO good!! We will absolutely be making this an every year stop!!

Post subject: Abuelo's Mexican
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:12 am 

We just got back from our trip to Myrtle Beach. We had lunch at Abuelo's. Great place. My husband and I both had the stuffed chicken breast medallions which is a crusted chicken fillet with chorizo's inside. They give you a choice of rice or their own potato side called pappas. It was 8.99 for lunch.l I noticed that Seniors' meals are served all day. I have to find out how old is "senior". Everyplace has a different age.

They also have a call ahead plan. Youi call them and tell them day/time you plan on dining at Abuelo's and they will add our name to their Call Ahead Plus list. Supposedly when you arrive, you will be seated within 15 minutes of your call ahead time. We'll see if it works.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

We've been meaning to get to this restaurant since it opened. Tonight we headed off to BAB to take advantage of Liberty Steakhouse "buy one get one" January special. We arrived at 6 PM and were told it would be over an hour before we could be seated. We decided it would be a good night to try

Abuelo's
www.abuelos.com
Just as everyone has said, the décor is wonderful. The menu is extensive, price is reasonable, and service was good.

I ordered the Steak Banderillas. A skewer of seasoned steak and fresh vegetables, wood-grilled and basted with ancho chile marinade. Served with spicy pinto beans and something that looked like mashed potatoes with a lot of cheese. I don't do mashed potatoes, even with cheese, so I gave these to Wally and he pronounced them good. My entrée: $12.99

Wally had the Sizzling Fajitas, a combination of chicken and steak. It came with the usual guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheeses, pico de gallo and four tortillas. I tasted both the chicken and steak, plus I got most of the onions and all the red peppers (But if you'll recall - he got all my mashed potatoes.) Wally's entrée: $11.99

They bring nachos and dip to table when you are seated. Appetizer prices range from $5.99 to $8.99. There is a children's menu consisting of 8 menu choices, fries or beans or rice and a glass of milk or a soft drink, all for $4.99. Salad prices are from $5.99 - $8.49.

Platters and Combinations average $10.00 and House Specialties run from $10.99 - $16.99. Desserts include Margarita Pie with Tequila Sauce $4.99, Dulce De Leche Cheesecake $4.99, Dessert Nachos $4.99, Tres Leches Cake $4.99 and Traditional Flan $3.99.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

We didn't get a card when we ate there! :cry:
So...I went to their web site, clicked on E-Mail Club, filled out the information and received a confirmation telling me to watch my mail box! :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:20 pm 

Abuelo's ROCKS! Thee best mexican food, I've had. Ever! Hoping they make their way up North sooner rather than later! I ordered the Grande and my plate was 1/2 as big as the table!

Post subject: Bad meals
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:44 am 

Hate to be the one dissenter but my daughter,wife and I all ate there a week or so ago and no one cared for their meal.Great decor but the quality of food was lacking.Very over fried and not tasty.Maybe we caught a chef in training or something.Will never return.

Tony

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:12 pm 

For the past few years, we have visited Abuelo's when we are on vacation. This year, we were there on the first day of our vacation August 9, 2011. My thoughts on this year's visit are as follows:

After we arrived, we only waited for a few minutes before we were seated. Our server, Chris, was a blonde haired surfer dude, who had recently moved to MB with his girl friend who was working at a local hospital. Chris was very efficient and pleasant. When asked, he said that he was from the Philly area. He said that he really enjoyed MB so far. Our meals came very quickly. We got an assortment of Mexican meals. They were fresh and hot. Once again, Abuelo’s met our expectations. We graded the meal an A-/B+ overall and would surely come again.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:22 pm 

I just have to say that even though this is a chain and located at a mall, this is one of our favorite restaurants in all of Myrtle Beach. Since we love both Abuelos and Fiesta Del Burro Loco equally, we always eat Mexican twice for dinner during our beach week each year!

One thing that impressed me so much was last summer, we went with a party of five to Abuelos and for some reason, one person's meal did not come out with the others. In fact, it wasn't served until we were almost done the meal. The manager came out, apologizing perfusely to us, and when we got the bill-they had comped the ENTIRE thing...for all five us us! I was so shocked that I said "You didn't have to do that..." and they said "Of course we did! We fell short of our goal of a perfect meal experience so we are paying for all of you". I have been to places that may have given a free dessert, free meal for the person who was not served, etc...but never have I had that level of service/compensation when something has gone wrong before...

The food is always amazing and the wait is never too long...I just wish there was an Abuelos where I live!