Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nacho Hippo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Nacho Hippo is a fun place to eat. This new restaurant in The Market Common replaced another Diving Dining restaurant, Roy & Sid's, when it opened Dec, 15.

I had lunch there today with three friends. It has a family-friendly atmosphere with colorful lights, benches, tables and a bar. Prices and portions are reasonable, and the food was good. Between the four of us we enjoyed tacos, quesadillas, salads and taco creations. The average price for all of us averaged about $10. per person including beverages, but without dessert.

I think this will be a great place for families with kids visiting the beach this year.

We have not been there at night, but Wally and I have driven by several times on our way in or out of Market Common, and it seems to be pretty busy, and more of a bar scene than a family restaurant. Every Friday and Saturday they offer live entertainment, and all day, every day, they have $3. Fresh Squeezed House Margaritas, $2 Bud Light Lime, and $3. well brands. There is also a bank of frozen concoction machines and Mexican beers.

Here's their website:

http://www.nachohippo.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

Post subject: Re: Nacho Hippo
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:41 am 

Thanks Patrish - this place gets my vote for "coolest name"..... :nanner: Looking forward to trying !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:55 am 

Too bad Roy & Sid's is gone. I loved the place, but it never seemed to do much business.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

We miss Roy & Sid's, too, and I'm really sorry they didn't succeed.

Wally and I tried the "Make Your Own Nachos" this week at Nacho Hippo, and they were delicious!

The 'Naked Nachos' consist of chips, cheeseblend, queso sauce, lettuce and pico for $4.95.

Then you add your own choices:
Ancho sauce, salsa verde, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, pepperjack or queso fresco - each 69¢
Mango Salsa, Black Beans, fire roasted veggies, fresh corn, fresh jalapeno or olives - each 95¢
Taco Beef Steak, Chili, Shredded Pork, Chorizo, shredded Chicken, Goat Cheeze - each $1.95

Our total bill was about $9. and it was a HUGE plate. I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:53 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
My little bunch ate there yesterday after we went to the movies...ummmm thats 50.00 (before tip!~) that I will never get back.
We rated it a 3 out of 10. The grilled corn was good but needs more lime and the guacamole was too....but that's it. The cheese dip was tasteless, the chips were stale, my drink had a strange aftertaste...uggghhh.
We also had four different tacos that we each tasted...rock lobster, love you long time orange chicken, gringo, and chozio one...I am a pretty adventurous eater but nothing really worked for me. Either too many flavors or no flavors at all. They did not give us a children's menu but I order a plain quesadilla for John Blue and he said it was "fine"....I tried the rice on his plate and it was overcooked.
Its a cute fun looking place and our service was very good although a little too familiar( I don't like people to sit with me while taking my order unless I know them)
Of course I have to go back and try it again before I write a review for work but I am not looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm 

Mike and I had an early dinner, using the B1G1 Taco coupon from The Official Myrtle Beach Area Visitors Guide.

I ordered the Baja Fish Taco and Mike had the Carolina Kid which was pulled pork, cole slaw, etc. We both ordered the platters which includes salad and rice, but they did allow me to sub black beans for the rice.

Everything was fresh and very good. I loved the Cilantro Lime dressing for the salad! I ordered the fish blackened and while it was spicy, it was not off the chart hot spicy. Our service was very good. Our bill with two Cokes was $16.00. Not bad for dinner! We will will definately be back.

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Site Admin

As Jan mentioned, the offer is good through the end of 2012.

http://www.visitmyrtlebeach.com/Save/nacho_hippo.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:51 pm 

Patrish, thanks for posting this review of Nacho hippo. It sure does look interesting. Gona check it out next time we are in myrtle beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:58 pm 

Went to the Market Commons location like last year. Corey and I got the “Day after nachos” – we really like them (contains lots of stuff!!) definitely enough for 2 people, maybe even 3. Nolan got one of his favorites – a cheese quesadilla. He really liked his. The service is generally always good there. The only complaint is that they kept bringing glasses of beverages and not taking the old ones so our table got a little full after a while.

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:48 pm 
Forum Support

AC06162007 wrote:
The only complaint is that they kept bringing glasses of beverages and not taking the old ones so our table got a little full after a while.

The plastic cups?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:10 pm 

haha yes plastic cups, not glasses :lol:

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am 

First visit at Nacho Hippo, and loved it!

The drink list is impressive, if you like tequila, this is a nice place to visit! I had a Paradise Island Margarita that was delish!

Also had the B1G1 taco coupon (Thanks Patrish!), and I got the Orange chili chicken taco, and the pulled pork one. Both were excellent. I also got a corn-on-the-cob with cheese and lime, which was meh at best. But I'd be back for more tacos!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:57 am 

This place sounds so good, but last time I looked there were NO gluten free options.. So sad =[

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:09 am 

My wife and I have been here a couple times and they have a gluten free menu on request. My wife gave this place high marks because it is hard for her to eat out. I cannot recall what was on it as I ordered off the regular menu. I want to say she had chicken fajitas with corn wraps. The chips are corn but not glutten free as they share a fryer with other items. They were very accommodating both times we visited by giving her corn wraps to eat our guacamole dip with which is very good.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:29 am 
Forum Support

CptTrips wrote:
My wife and I have been here a couple times and they have a gluten free menu on request. My wife gave this place high marks because it is hard for her to eat out. I cannot recall what was on it as I ordered off the regular menu. I want to say she had chicken fajitas with corn wraps. The chips are corn but not glutten free as they share a fryer with other items. They were very accommodating both times we visited by giving her corn wraps to eat our guacamole dip with which is very good.

Thanks for the info. I copied it to the Special Dietary Requirements forum.