Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: August 2018
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:44 pm 

I'm back! Our last vacation to Myrtle Beach, in fact, our last vacation anywhere, was August of 2015. We're well passed due for this trip and are excited to return. Our daughter will be 4 months shy of three years old at the time of our holiday (as the Brits call it) and we're leary on how the drive and overall experience will go. We've invited my wife's younger sister to sort of nanny for us. We're staying 5 nights at the Chelsea condominiums on the Caribbean Resort property starting the 12th of said month. Cheers, folks.

Post subject: Re: August 2018
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:06 pm 

Welcome back, Phroggy. How can that baby be almost 3!!! :angel7:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, phroggy. Welcome back. Glad you made it through the "terrible twos" and that you'll be vacationing with an awesome 3-yr. old who will absolutely LOVE the beach!

I know this because we introduced our grandson to the beach when he was 2. He proceeded to eat buckets of sand, then pooped sandy crap for a week. However by the time he was 3 he was more refined and enjoyed building sand castles and playing in the waves.

This will be a new experience for you, and I think you'll have a fantastic vacation. :drinkin:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 pm 

Welcome back Phroggy. Everyone must be getting MB fever right now.

My advice being an experience father traveling to MB with quite a few kids over the years is to leave out in the wee hours of the morning. If you can, you really need to time the arrival around lunch time. Not only will you be avoiding most of the beach traffic, you will also be close enough to check-in that it won't be a pain in the rear trying to kill time waiting on the room. If all goes as planned you should get quite a few hours into the trip before you have to start making unnecessary stops in order to calm the dear child or even the Mrs. To me the less bathroom and meltdown stops the better the drive. I have three teenagers and a little one, and the teenagers have been so accustomed to being able to sleep for the most of the way down that they still would never agree to "day" drive the whole trip.

I've also tried driving all night with early a.m. arrival. Makes for too long of a wait time for the room.

Tried splitting it up into two days. The kid ends up sleeping the whole evening down and is wired up with the hotel room and extra sleep and bounces off the hotel walls. If they don't sleep on the way to the first stop that means that I have them awake for the whole 8 hours of driving over the two days.

Also stayed in Columbia one year thinking we would have a smooth trip in. Got out of the hotel a little later than expected and hit some major traffic jams on I-20. It actually took us longer to get from Columbia SC to the beach than it usually does from Kentucky to MB.

Have fun deciding what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm 

Thanks for the replies and advice. We're making it a two day arrival by leaving Saturday morning and driving as far as we can before we lose our minds. Hopefully we can make it to at last Asheboro, NC. I don't really care how long it takes to get that far. Drive for 2 hours, stop for an hour, repeat. It is what it is.