Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suntan Lotion
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:30 pm 

Here is an easy way to save a few bucks on lotion this summer. CVS has a great special going on, 6/23 thru 6/29. Coppertone suntan lotions, various styles and sizes are on special for 2 for $19.98. There was a $5.00 off 2 Coppertone lotions in this Sundays coupon section of the paper. Plus CVS gives you a coupon for $8.00 extra rewards to use on anything in the store. You do have do use your CVS card. That makes the net cost for two bottles of Coppertone $6.98 or $3.49 each. I know a lot of words to explain a relatively small savings but in this economy every little bit helps. I am not sure it is even proper to post something related to a particular brand or store but here goes.

Post subject: Re: Suntan Lotion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:59 am 

Thanks for the info! I'm all about saving money and my fiance' is at times, an extreme coupon person... which is why we have 30 lbs of bacon in our freezer right now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:02 am 

Quote:
we have 30 lbs of bacon in our freezer

We'll be right over..... sounds like a Myrtle Manor moment :nanner:

Thanks for the tips on the Coppertone !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:23 pm 

I'm going to stick with my belief, it is high dose spf that causes skin cancer and other abnormalities and not the sun. It is the chemicals in the sunscreen that your absorbing that causes problems.

Natural sunscreens using zinc or titanium are an exception.

Why do you think Australia has banned all spf's over 30?

I have been in the sun all my life without any use of sunscreen, the last few years I have used a #4 on my forehead only.

Remember, GMO foods, antibiotics and growth hormones in our food source, and much more, that our Government says is safe.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:40 pm 

Gary, I'm not doubting what you're saying, but I wear sunscreen so I'm not in PAIN later that night!
Angela

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm 

Angela your comment back made me smile

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:33 pm 

Gary, I respect your right not to wear a sunscreen higher than a 4 SPF.

However.....

For those of us who have auto-immune diseases such as Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome (both of which I have) and cannot be out in the sun between the hours of 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, it is a necessity to wear a sunscreen that not only blocks the sun, but also filters out the ultraviolet rays that are NOT blocked when sitting in the shade. The UV rays trigger flares which can be devastating. On the advice of both my Rheumatologist and my Primary Care Physician, I must wear a minimum SPF of 55 whenever I am out in the sun and stay out of the sun during the above stated hours. Just sitting in the shade doesn't work as the UV rays aren't blocked UNLESS you are under a 100% UV blocking umbrella/shelter. (Even then, don't sit near water as the rays reflect off the water & bounce back under the umbrella so you still get them.... don't ask.... just know I found out the hard way). No offense intended, but I respect the advice of my doctors over your advice.

While I do respect your right to voice your opinion about sunscreen usage, I felt that your blanket statement without knowing what circumstances others may be dealing with to be both offensive and irresponsible. I normally do not share my medical problems on this board, but your statement upset me so that I felt I must speak out. I am sorry if I offend you in return, but felt both sides needed to be represented.

I'll climb down from my soapbox now and apologize to any members this may have upset or offended. Patrish, if this is out of line, please delete and accept my apology.

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:51 pm 

Hi Karen, I certainly did not mean to offend anyone with my statement about sunscreen. Figured I may even help someone long term. And I will leave it at that.

Gary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:41 pm 

I can't seem to find any merit to Gary's comment being either offensive or irresponsible. Perhaps kish73 is just having a bad day. Yeah, we'll go with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 pm 

Sorry everyone, I never even thought that suntan lotion could be such a controversial subject. Just trying to pass on a good deal. Karen you are one of my favorite people on the board and I know you are traveling a difficult road with your health. Sure would have never knowingly started a topic that would have offended you. Let's all think happy beach thoughts.
Judy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:50 am 

phroggy wrote:
I can't seem to find any merit to Gary's comment being either offensive or irresponsible. Perhaps kish73 is just having a bad day. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Me either.
I never use anthing over SPF 8 and thats only the first couple days . I remember fondly the days of just using baby oil with some iodine in it. Dont Know if you can even buy iodine these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 am 

Karen, I too have an autoimmune disease, though not one affected by the sun, thank goodness. (When my Rheumatologist ruled out Lupus I was glad due to the whole “stay out of the sun” thing). And I understand Sjogrens too. I feel for you. I hope you’re doing everything to keep as healthy as possible and your spirits high. But, with my diagnosis, I have started wiping out all chemicals from my life. I try to avoid putting chemicals in my body, on my body and in my environment. There are just too many and a lot of them do cause their own health problems. Also, I have super sensitive skin, which happens to be allergic to most sun blocks. With that being said, sun block is the one chemical that I doubt I’ll every stop putting on my body. I don’t use it at my pool at home – I just sit in the shade, but when I’m at the beach, like you said, there is no escaping that glaring sun, whether you’re sitting under an umbrella or not.

Wishing good health and sunburn-free good skin to all of you!!
Angela

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:47 pm 

phroggy wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps kish73 is just having a bad day. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Yes, phroggy, I was having a bad day yesterday. But I still stand by my statements.

I did not mention that I've had 3 family members who have had to fight skin cancer as well. What was the common denominator that they all had? None of them ever used sunscreen. This is another reason that I feel so strongly about sunscreen. But everyone must follow their own heart and do what they think is right. As for my family, we'll continue to use it. That's the last I'll speak on the subject.

Judy, you have nothing to apologize for! You were simply passing on a great deal!!! Thanks for the info!!! And thank you for the kind words! They are appreciated more than you know! (And you're one of my favorite people on the board as well! :cheerleader: )

Angela, so sorry that you, too, have to suffer with an auto-immune disease. Sometimes it's just not an easy journey, huh? Thanks for the kind words & positive thoughts! Yes, I am following my doctors orders and doing all that I can to stay as healthy as I can.

As Judy said, "think happy beach thoughts!!!" :sunny:

Karen in Upstate SC