Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

The holiday season is fast approaching! Let's share some of our family favorites!

I'll kick this off with a recipe I brought with me when I moved from Roanoke, VA to Myrtle Beach 11 years ago. Whenever served, it's always a big hit!

The Hotel Roanoke has graced Roanoke's landscape since 1882 when it became the centerpiece of the Norfolk and Western Railroad's plan to develop Big Lick into a major town.

The hotel is now nationally renowned for hosting spectacular events. The nostalgic Regency Room offers some of the valley's most delicious cuisines, including the hotel's Signature Soup

Hotel Roanoke's Peanut Soup

1 small onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 Tablespoons flour
8 cups (2 quarts) chicken broth
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/3 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ground peanuts

Melt butter in sauce pan and add onion and celery. Saute about 5 minutes until tender, but do not brown. Add flour and mix well. Stir in chicken broth and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat and strain mixture into a second saucepan. Add peanut butter, celery salt, salt, and lemon juice. Cook just enough to heat throughly, stirring to blend well. Ladle into soup bowls and sprinkle with ground peanuts.

Serves 10

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

What a GREAT idea Patrish!!! This is a great thread to keep us all going through the holidays. I have a bunch of quick and easy candy treats I'll post. Just need to gather them. I will return :cheerleader:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:41 pm 

I'm back and ready to share... These are super easy and fun. If you need more recipes for quick and easy treats I have plenty :wink:

Candy Cane Bark Hearts
18 small candy canes (their a little over 2 inches)
Vanilla flavored candy melts or almond bark
crushed candy canes

Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Lay the small candy canes in groups of two with ends touching to make a heart. Microwave candy melts or bark until smooth. Spoon into centers of hearts and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Let cool 30 minutes or put in fridge to speed it up. Makes cute heart shaped peppermint bark.

Chocolate Covered Oreo Cookie Lollipops

Stick a lollipop stick through a double-stuffed Oreo. Dip in melted chocolate and decorate with sprinkles for the holiday. Let harden (sometimes we make these on Valentine’s day and use pink or white chocolate/candy wafers, and sprinkle with hearts... You can do any color chocolate and so many different holiday sprinkles.. St. Patricks, etc) Place in clear lollipop bag and tie with a ribbon.

Cracker Candy
Saltine crackers
1/2 lb butter
3/4 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups chocolate chips
ground nuts (about 1 cup)

Preheat oven to 400. Line a cookie sheet covered with parchment with saltine crackers. In a medium sauce pan, melt 1/2 lb. of butter. Add 3/4 cup sugar; bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Boil for three minutes. Drizzle over crackers. Bake for five minutes. Sprinkle 2 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips over the crackers when they come out, allow to melt a little, and spread. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and refrigerate. When hard, crack into pieces.

Oreo Truffles
1 package Oreo cookies
1 package cream cheese (room temperature)
chocolate for dipping

Chop Oreos in a food processor until nothing but crumbs remain. Put crumbs in a large bowl and mix thoroughly with cream cheese until doughlike. Roll into balls about 1 inch in diameter and chill.
After chilling, dip the Oreo balls in melted chocolate and let dry on waxed paper. An optional decoration would be to drizzle white chocolate across the top or dip the Oreo balls in white chocolate and drizzle with dark chocolate.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:08 pm 

Blueberry Pie

Ingredients
Pie Dough for double crust pie
4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries.
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tbs Flour
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
dash salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1-2 Tbs Lemon Juice
1 Tbs butter

I cheated and use Pillsbury Pie Crusts in the store by the cookie doughs and biscuts in a can.
I used frozen from my own Blueberry bushes I picked this summer.
I only had a lime on hand so I used Lime Zest and Juice.

Directions
1. Combine blueberries(still frozen do not thaw if using frozen), sugar, flour, spices and zest in a large bowl
2. Line a 9" pie pan with one pie dough
3. Pour Blueberry mixture into pie pan
4. Sprinkle with Lemon juice and dot with butter.

Lattice Directions

1. Take your other pie dough and make sure its rolled out and smooth and dust surface where you are cutting the pie dough with some flour first.
2. Take a knife or Pizza Cutter and make 11 or 12 strips (I had one left over)
put the end strips on two opposite ends of the pie and lay 4 strips along the inside of the pie leaving space between them.
3. Take one strip at a time and start on the inside this time and lay the strip over the first end piece the under the next strip and over again on the next strip and so on.
4. Do this for the other strips but doing the opposite under and over for this strip and the other strip on the other side of the middle strip.
5. Do the last two strips again like the first inside strip and if done correctly should look like my photo and will be a finished Lattice Crust.
6. You can glaze the dough if you want with a egg wash or milk, but I forgot to do that.

Oatmeal Pie
Servings: 16

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1 cup flaked coconut
1 1/2 cups dark corn syrup
1 1/2 cups white sugar

1/2 cup butter, melted
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 3/4 cups evaporated milk
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
Directions:
1. Mix eggs, corn syrup, and sugar. Add milk, melted butter, coconut, and oatmeal. Pour into two 9-inch pie shells.
2. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until brown.

Oct 4-11 2008 Bay Watch Resort
September 26 - October 3 2009 Breakers Resort
September 25 - October 2 2010 Bay Watch Resort
September 3 -10 2011 Myrtle Beach Resort
January 12 - May ? 2014 A rented apartment on 33 ave. N, Myrtle Beach

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:49 pm 

Thanks Lauren. I am going to make both of these pies. Pies are my favorite dessert to make.

Kathy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:17 pm 

I can't wait to make your pie recipes. I also love to bake pies and I have never heard of oatmeal pie. Is it a Southern recipe? Christine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

All these recipes look GREAT! Thanks for posting.

Let's see some more!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:13 am 

If you have vegetarian relatives...this is really yummo. I think I got it from watching the food network (I, know, big surprise!)

Butternut Squash Lasagna

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup water
3 amaretti cookies, crumbled (I didn't use these, didn't have them) I used an almond biscotti instead, worked fine.
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
Pinch nutmeg
1/2 cup (lightly packed) fresh basil leaves
12 no-boil lasagna noodles *** can use spinach lasagna, if you want to
2 1/2 cups shredded whole-milk mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan

Directions:
SQUASH:
Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the squash and toss to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour the water into the skillet and then cover and simmer over medium heat until the squash is tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. (I confess I couldn't resist eating this, the sauteed squash was delish!) Cool slightly and then transfer the squash to a food processor** Add the amaretti cookies and blend until smooth. Season the squash puree, to taste, with more salt and pepper.

WHITE SAUCE:
Melt the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Whisk in the nutmeg. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the sauce to a blender**. Add the basil and blend until smooth. Return the basil sauce to the sauce in the pan and stir to blend. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.

Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.

ASSEMBLY:
Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce over the prepared baking dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the squash puree over the noodles. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle 1/2 cup of sauce over the noodles. Repeat layering 3 more times.

Tightly cover the baking dish with foil and bake the lasagna for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the lasagna. Continue baking uncovered until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 minutes longer. Let the lasagna stand for 15 minutes before serving.

**just be careful when blending the hot liquids/food!

Here's another recipe if you like Cranberry Salad, but want to make it fast/easy or have only a few in your family who like it. My mother always made the kind where you grind the cranberries, squeeze and orange over them with the sugar and let them sit over night in the fridge...yadda, yadda, but this is MUCH easier --

Fast, Easy Cranberry Salad

1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
1 small can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
3/4 c. chopped celery
1 small apple, peeled, chopped
1 small can crushed pineapple

**This recipe is very user friendly with regard to doubling or tripling it!
Mix together and put in fridge to reset. Very refreshing and full of antioxidants! :lol:

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:28 pm 

Sounds yummo indeed! I also love the food network. Christine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, YUM! Thanks, y'all for contributing. My favorite recipes are those given to me by friends. If they come in e-mail, or on the web, I print them out and save them in a "homemade" 3-hold punch folder (like we used to use in school.) Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. I have gained 10 pound just reading the recipes. :clown:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:10 am 

patrish wrote:
Oh, YUM! Thanks, y'all for contributing. My favorite recipes are those given to me by friends. If they come in e-mail, or on the web, I print them out and save them in a "homemade" 3-hold punch folder (like we used to use in school.) Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread. I have gained 10 pound just reading the recipes. :clown:

I do EXACTLY the same thing...I've upgraded to a 3inch 3 ring binder cause I have so many! LOL

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994