Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:25 am 
Site Admin

]Dear Friends,

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach message board! Please read and follow these guidelines before you begin to post.

1. Be respectful to all members when posting.
Flaming or personal attacks to instigate "flame bait", verbal abuse or mocking of members in forum posts are not tolerated. Such posts will be deleted on sight and moderated accordingly. If you are a long standing member, act like one. Lead by example and assist other newer members rather then attacking them. Members that reply to posts simply to instigate argument will be warned. Should you ignore this warning you will be banned.

2. No Advertising:
Soliciting members through Private Messages, Adding a Business Sig to your profile that shows up each time you post, Help Wanted ads and Business Announcements are not allowed.
If your advertising post appears on the board, it will be edited or deleted. Depending on the offense, your membership may be deleted too. Public service information, charity benefits, and other non-profit programs may or may not be exempt from this rule. Ask me (patrish) or Ron (Ichiban) BEFORE posting. If you are a business owner, do NOT use this forum as if it's a bulletin board to attract new business. Our members may recommend businesses they like, but as the owner or as an associate of a company, you may NOT post about your own business. I hope I am making myself clear. If you have ANY questions, it is best to ask before you post.

3. Members are encouraged to contact me if they receive Private Messages that contain advertising or are offensive to them in any way.
The poster will be contacted, and depending on the offense, will be warned or banned. Your name or username will not be mentioned in the PM they receive.

4. POSTING YOUR PHOTOS ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD:
Under the General Information heading you'll see the subject titled "Linking your photos on the message board." You'll find helpful information, and your questions should be directed to that string.
To post your image(s):
Click the IMG box which is just below the Subject line and before the message box. Insert the link to your photo between the two image links that appear IMG and /IMG.

5. Do not link an ICQ number in your profile (use PMs or e-mail instead)
Spambots are often programmed to contain an ICQ number, and in order help keep the forum safe, registrations containing ICQ numbers will be deleted.

6. Do not link a website or any advertising to your sig.
Sigs are only for information you want to share with the group, such as where you've stayed on previously Myrtle Beach vacations, your real name, where you live, your favorite hobby, etc. Please keep this to a few short lines. If your sig is considered too long by the Administrators, it may be shortened .

7. Do not try to keep your status hidden
Ron and I discovered early on that spammers were using the "hidden" status to loiter on the board and attempt to do damage. If you log on as "hidden" your account will be changed to visible. Anyone who continues to use the "hidden" status after being warned may be banned.

8. If you join, please post something!
If you join this board but do not post, it will be assumed that your membership is fraudulent or that you may be a spammer, and your membership will be removed.

9. POSTING HUGE AVATARS:
Big images destroy the formatting of the board and make it difficult to read. The maximum size for an avatar is 140 pixels x 140 pixels, screened at 72 DPI. Feel free to mail me your image you can't seem to convert to the proper size. I don't mind doing this for you,

We have a Topic about loading avatars and photos here: http://www.funbeaches.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6048
If you need help sizing a photo:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

10.b]If you use an invalid e-mail address during the sign-up process it will be bounced back to me. If that happens, I will delete your account. [/b]
You must use an authentic e-mail address to become a member of this board.

11. If your account has been deleted
If your account has been deleted and you don't know why, you may try to re-register. If you have problems, send an e-mail to me: pblackstock@gmail.com
Tell me your username, your real name and the error message you are receiving.

12. LOOK BEFORE YOU POST
If you don't see a subject that fits your question, please post it under "Got Questions - Can't Find a Category?" You can help by taking a few seconds to look at various forums, then choose the best place for your post.

13. Do not start another topic with the same name.
If the restaurant, show, etc. you want to post about has already been discussed (use the Search feature to find out) add your comments to the existing string. It is extremely time-consuming and sometimes impossible, to remove these messages and place them where they belong. Your post may be frozen or removed.

14. PRO OR ANTI - QUESTIONABLE POSTS:
As message board forums grow, there is a high likelihood that someone will join who has only one agenda: to promote their business or give negative reviews to other businesses like theirs that have been suggested by board members. Some people have become quite adept at making their post seem sincere. For instance, awhile back, Ron (our Administrator Ichiban) and I noticed someone posting about golf packages. The first post asked if anyone had heard of (insert name) Golf Packages. (We never heard of it.) The poster, on the other hand, had heard only rave reviews about this company. The next post told us that he had booked a golf package with this company and assured us that it was the best deal ever. The post after THAT recommended this same golf package to all message board members. Ron and I discovered that he had posted duplicate information on TripAdvisor!

You, our message board members, need to be alert to the fact that this can and will happen here. When you see a post that makes you wonder, look at the poster's profile. How many posts has this person entered? Are they all about the same subject? Checking to see how many posts someone has made and how long they have been a member can go a long way in determining the credibility of the poster. Please direct any post to the attention of myself or one of the Moderators if you think this is happening on our board.

15. HAS YOUR QUESTION ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED?
Do a search before you ask. If you don't receive an answer to your question, chances are that it has been answered (probably multiple times) in earlier postings.

16. POST YOUR MESSAGE ONLY ONCE:
Please do not cross-post your message to different categories or forums on this board. When you do, it is confusing to the other members and causes duplicate answers. The people who read any of these groups tend to read all of them.

17. POST ON THE BOARD:
Ask your question(s) on the message board. Please do not send your questions to me or to the Moderators. The message board is a volunteer organization, and we do not have the time to answer questions both on the board, from our PMs, or private e-mail accounts. By posting on the board you will have the benefit of multiple answers, a wider knowledge base, and a quicker reply.

18. CALL YOUR HOTEL:
If your questions relates directly to the hotel where you will be staying, call them and ask. This is the very best way to get an accurate answer. This pertains to such questions as "How long is the lazy river?" "Do they provide coffee makers?" "Is there an iron in my room?" "Will I have Wi-Fi in the rooms?"

19. REACHING OTHER MEMBERS:
If you need to contact me, the Moderators, or any message board member, feel free to use Private Message. This is an excellent feature of this board, it's easy to use, and you don't have to give out your personal e-mail address. To use the private message feature, click on "You have no new messages" at the top of the board. Members names are available by checking the Membership list. Remember that all usernames are case-sensitive.

20. EDIT AND DELETE:
All members can edit and delete their own posts as long as there are no other posts after it. If you need to change a post to which others have already replied, please contact me (patrish) or Ron (Ichiban) by PM and we will make the changes for you.

21. EDIT AND DELETE BY ADMINISTRATORS AND MODERATORS:
If your post is edited or deleted and you have a question about why it happened, feel free to send a PM to me (patrish) and ask.
1.) The most common reason is clean-up. We have many posts that become outdated such as annual events, weather-related information, etc.
2.) Posts will be deleted when they are off-topic or do not apply to the question.
2.) "Me too" posts do not pass the test of time.
3.) Rudeness will cause editing or deletion. Do not insult others. Just because you think one restaurant or show is the best does not mean everyone else is stupid or needs to be enlightened. Remember the Golden Rule.
4.) Accounts are deleted if the user has not posted in over a year. You need to re-register if you want to start posting again.
If your posting number goes down, check the reasons above.

22. DO NOT ASK THAT ANSWERS BE DIRECTED TO YOUR E-MAIL, AND DO NOT ASK PEOPLE TO E-MAIL THEIR QUESTIONS TO YOU.
We have a group effort here. When someone posts a question, everyone can benefit from the replies. This is a public forum. Do not ask people to e-mail you directly for an answer.

If you want to chat with a member, please use either the PM (private message) or chat room option:
http://funbeaches.com/chat-room.html

23. LOOK AT YOUR SUBJECT:
I have edited some posts, not to change the message, but to add a subject. If you change subjects in a string of posts, please add a new or additional subject to your post. That will help the search feature to find the correct information.

24. b]MEMBERSHIP REMOVAL/BANNING:[/b]
If your membership is removed it is usually because:
1. Your post contained advertising
2. You joined the board but did not post.
3. The content of your post is not appropriate for this message board.
4. Members complained about PMs from you.
5. You came here to cause trouble. If banning you is easier than dealing with the problems you are causing, you will be banned immediately and without warning.

25. USE A SUBJECT IN YOUR POST THAT RELATES TO THE QUESTION:
If you want to know about a particular hotel, be sure to use it in your subject. A good subject will get more readership than "I have a bunch of questions."

26.QUOTING FROM THE PREVIOUS POST:
Please quote only the part of someone's message to which you want to respond. A sentence or two is quite sufficient. Not only is this good forum etiquette, it takes up less room. Most of us have already read the previous post and we don't want to scroll very far to see what you have to say.

27. DON'T HIJACK SOMEONE'S THREAD:
A little wandering is not a huge problem, but one should generally stick to the topic started by the original poster. If you wish to discuss something else, please start a new thread and post a link if required. (See EDIT AND DELETE information above.)

28. BECOMING A MODERATOR*
* Note: At this time we are not accepting Moderators.
Only people who have been a member of this board for a minimum of one calendar year are eligible to become Moderators. You may submit your application by PM (private message) to either Ron (Ichiban) or me (patrish). A Moderator's job is to keep their forum running smoothly. Even though they don't get paid for their time, they need to show up for work on a regular basis. If others have to pick up their slack, it will create more work and may mean the dismissal of a Moderator. One of the most important aspects of being a Moderator is the ability to recognize and delete posts that do not stand the test of time. (See EDIT AND DELETE above.) Clutter is one of the biggest issues on the board, and Moderators are expected to do their part, no matter how boring the chore may be. Editing is also a part of the Moderator's job. Not all forums require Moderators, so if you are denied a request, rest assured that it is not personal.

29. SAVING MESSAGES:
If you see a message that you want to keep, please copy and paste it in your own word processor on your own computer. It may get deleted from this board due to the reasons listed above, or there could be a glitch in the server causing messages to be lost forever. It's also a good idea to write your Trip Report in a word application, then copy/paste it to the board.

MANY THANKS!
A great big THANK YOU to all you loyal members! I know that many of you go out of your way to help others, sometimes not getting any thanks in return. This board would not exist if it weren't for you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]