Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: February Visit?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am 

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I have been on here and I have missed it!

I have a question. How is Myrtle Beach in February? We were thinking of going for a few days during our February break but wasn't sure if it's a good idea or not? Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: February Visit?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a link to the average air and water temps for all 12 months in Myrtle Beach.

http://www.funbeaches.com/average-water ... ature.html

January and February are our coldest months. Some businesses may be closed, but certainly not all. Of course all waterparks are closed. Family Kingdom will be closed but all the live entertainment shows are open (check websites for abbreviated schedules.) Several mini golf courses will close but some are open all year long. Most restaurants are are open. The beach is cold. Tanger Outlets will be having good sales.

If you'll give me an idea of what you like to do, I can be more specific.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:50 pm 

We don't really care about the waterparks too much. Where we stay has an indoor one that's open all year. We like the skywheel, mini golf, and to walk the beach (even if it is in a winter coat :lol: ) We also like to walk the "strip" and go in all the little shops and things.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm 
Site Admin

If you don't mind the cold, you're good to go! :cool: I think the SkyWheel is open year round, but call ahead and check when you get here. Boardwalk, downtown area, and restaurants will be open. Some stores will probably be closed at Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot. You will be surprised to find how uncrowded it is in Feb.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:28 am 

I think we'll do it. We live in upstate NY so where we live it's in the 20's, even single digits in February. So to be able to walk the beach in February would be amazing! Would you visit in February? We usually go in August so this this will be a change for us.......(no worries though, we are still going in August!) 2 trips to Myrtle in 1year :hello: :cheerleader: :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 am 
Site Admin

You should be ok with our winter. You are used to cold winters! Several years ago we were in Manhattan during the Christmas Season. Even though I had purchased fur-lined boots for the occasion and took my warmest coat (which I had purchased in Boston a few years earlier because I froze there too) I STILL felt like a walking icicle!

Since we've been living here since 1997 (and in Virginia before that) our blood has thinned to the point I really hate having to be in cold weather. So to answer your question, I don't like being in Myrtle Beach in Jan. or Feb. and usually we'll head for warmer beaches for at least week. But yo you....this IS a warmer beach! :clown:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:48 am 

Hello from another New Yorker!! Not sure where in NY you are but we are in Putnam County!

New York winters are brutal! I can only imagine even 40 degrees would seem like a heatwave to us in February. I have been in March many many times and I love it. The ocean no matter what time of the year is "mentally" warming throw in a couple of palm trees, a southern cooked meal and it's heaven!!

I truly think you'll be fine! We would go in February in a heartbeat but my husband works for the town so vacation is frowned upon through the winter months due to snow plowing...
My only concern would be driving if it's snowy from here to VA. but you'll know ahead what the exact storms are expected!

All I ask is PLEASE post a trip report or at least let us know how you enjoyed it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:12 am 

We have been going down to Myrtle Beach in February for 14 plus years now. Its hit or miss as far as temp. I wear shorts and a tee shirts 95% of the time with a sweatshirt/hoodie for a coat. Everything is open except for a few restaurants(no waiting inline to get a table) and the outdoor water parks. It's nice to get away from the cold, snow and freezing rain for awhile to get a glimpse at Spring. You can get some freezing rain and snow in Myrtle but the nice thing is, its gone the next day!

Steinerk2

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:17 pm 

This is just one of the many reasons that I love this site! You are all so helpful and kind. Thanks so much!

We live in Fulton County. I have heard of Putnam County. Not exactly sure where that is though. New York is brutal in the winter for sure. My husband and I both work in the school district so we have a week vacay in February. We thought February would be a good time to get some warmth and an ocean view. It would be a good time for a break from NY.

That's another good point..no lines! I think we will go for it. It wont hurt to try I guess right? Our resort has their pool and indoor waterpark open all year so that is good as well.

Thanks sooooo much!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:38 pm 

We will be "Snow Birds" for the month of February ourselves. We are renting a condo, in Seawatch. Last year we were in SC Jan/Feb 2 weeks Myrtle Beach 1 Week Hilton Head and back to MB for a week. It was some what cool and windy but it was fine, we missed the 30 inch Blizzard which is why we went. Wanted to avoid some snow storms here in Jersey. Love MB anytime of the year. Will be back for 3 weeks at Seawatch in May/June. Sorry we never bought a place years ago too many roots to uproot now. Enjoy your visit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Thanks to all our message board members who jumped in to help answer this question. Y'all are fantastic! :love1:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:06 pm 

Couldn't agree more! Such great people and such a huge help! We have decided to go for it. Myrtle in Feb. it is! :nanner: Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote Emmy: "if it's snowy from here to VA....

From the Old Dominion to the Palmetto State you're officially in the South....y'all! :sunny:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:46 pm 

We will be there again for Jan., Feb. & March and wouldn't wish to be anywhere else!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks, Christine! :cool: