Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cast and the beach
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:34 pm 

Hey everyone! We are impatiently waiting for our vacation in two weeks!!!
I've got a question though.....my daughter had a calcaneal ostiotomy done to her foot almost three weeks ago now(I was against it due to vacation but she was adamant) and I asked that she be placed into a waterproof cast next week when they do the cast change... She is non weight bearing so the playing in the ocean will not be happening. My question is has anyone come across having a cast and the beach and how do you keep the sand out? I've looked at the nice cast covers, but when I contacted the company they have advised against it because of herr latex precaution allergy. I am hoping there is another option verses taping a trash bag to get leg every day.
We're looking at renting a beach wagon for the week to haul her out to the sand and take our walks.

- I was really against having it done when we did, but she was adamant to have it completed before school. She spent almost three months out last spring with a back surgery and does not want to go through being behind at school again under all costs. She is still weak from her back surgery and is using a walker as crutches per pt requirements and she refuses to go to school like that..... To be 16 lol

Thanks!
Tiffany

Post subject: Re: Cast and the beach
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:09 pm 

Did you try searching for Non-Latex cast covers?? I'm sure in day and age they would have to have them??? A cast cover would be your best choice as they are made to keep it dry. You could try heavy plastic and tape, but the tape on the skin may be an issue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:34 pm 

I found one non latex one but I am worried about it not lasting and it has to be ordered from Amazon. We have the thin flimsy ones that you get from Walgreens that she is currently using to shower with. ..
We're only needing to keep the sand out of the cast and I'd prefer to not have to tape her leg up if at all possible because I would think it will eventually break out or start pulling the skin a fair amount.
So excited for vacation but logistics are starting to stress me out lol

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:23 am 

Best of luck to you all, I wish I had better things to share. My husband had a cast on his hand one year while we were at the beach. To put it lightly, he was miserable. No matter what we did, the sand found a way to get into that cast. He was not a happy camper. I can't imagine trying to keep it out of a leg cast. Bring lots and lots of baby powder would be my only advice. Since she is non weight bearing I'm guessing there is no way they would agree to a boot for the week? Something she could remove and clean out would be so much easier. Hoping someone else on here has better advice than I do!!! Prayers for a safe and fun trip for you all!!

Melissa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:53 pm 
Forum Support

What about using a city beach wheelchair?

http://www.cityofmyrtlebeach.com/handicapped.html

Might not be the most comfortable but how about getting some of that rope cotton (is that what they call it?)? Stuff that into the holes?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:04 pm 

Do they make a plastic/Velcro strap cast that would fit tight enough? If anything go plastic for beach trip and then new cast when you return.
Probably different deal keeping a joint from moving vs a straight bone in line. It was just a thought.

Youngest son broke an arm playing soccer. First two weeks he broke two plaster casts riding his bike. Doc said heck with it and put him in a plastic one. He'd swim all day and then at night after shower he'd remove it to let it dry before bed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:23 am 

I have baby powder on my packing list!!
We rented a beach wagon to drag her out to the beach she doesn't weigh very much so we thought that would work pretty well and. I have a waterproof blanket that we can set out to help keep her clean. We will be able to wash her cast out as she is getting a waterproof insides for it. There won't be any ocean swimming for her this year.
Wish us luck that we don't need a cast change when we get home :). She originally was going to be in a walking boot for the trip but needs the stretch on her tendons and ligaments that they can get in the fiberglass cast.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:46 pm 

Last sumemr we had a little one with us in a cast. Walgreens sold a thing to go over it to water proof it. They looked here at home and did not find any, but they did when they looekd at the beach.