Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:34 am 

My family and I will be spending 5 nights at Myrtle Beach beginning August 17th, then we'll be travelling to the OuterBanks (Jarvisburg) to visit his brother for a few days before returning to Ohio. We're trying to figure out the fastest way to get to the OBX from MB. I would like to take the "scenic" way, hubby not so much. I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 pm 

We went from the OBX to MB last October. We just followed 17 and the GPS lead us right there. It's a nice drive. If you have time, check out New Bern, there is a really neat downtown area - it's where Pepsi (and my fave, Mt. Dew!) was born; neat art galleries, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:47 pm 
Forum Support

Grave Digger Monster Truck is in Popular Branch, NC. It's nothing spectacular, but still neat. They have a store, garage, old monster trucks in the yard, a monster truck ride for $5, playground, and a little cafe.

Wright Brothers is awesome in Kill Devil Hills. I'm not a big museum person, but still enjoyed the park. It was neat just seeing the actual place and hearing about the history of the area.

Its hard to take a scenic route. You go aways on the road and have to come back to the main highway. You go back in and have to come back out. The roads only take you so far and end. So you need to pick a couple spots and just go in and then back out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Here's a good google map showing the OuterBanks:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8 ... 7baab92c7c
Each of the designated stops on the map offer different options for restaurants or things to do and see
You will easily see what Melissa mentioned about going out and coming back.

I have taken the ferry, which was a great way to get there. Just thinking about it makes me want to go again (when the weather is warm, that is!!)
http://www.outerbanks.org/outerbanks-ferry-schedules/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:57 am 
Site Admin

The ferry to Ocracoke Island is something that's neat to do once, but be aware of their schedule! We just missed the ferry and had to wait two hours for the next one. The trip to Ocracoke takes two hours and then you may have to wait in line for the Cape Hatteras ferry. So, this is definitely not the fastest, but it is an experience :cheerleader: