Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:27 pm 

We all have our traditions over the years.

My family, and our fall golf group, have the same first night tradition. The first night we must have dinner at the original Capt Benjamins on restaurant row. Although not one of my favourites, I mustn't mess with traditions, nor have any other suggestions been permitted to be spoken!

What are some other first day "must do" or the trips karma will be thrown into utter disarray traditions you have?

TJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:29 pm 

We usually always get to the beach about 11 am, so we have a few hours to burn. Our tradition has been to go to River City Cafe for lunch before we check into our hotel! I so look forward to it!

And it seems like the last year or two, I always end up at BATB the first night as well!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:06 pm 

What we do that depends on the time we get there - usually around 3ish. We'll unpack and head down to the pool. But one thing we have always done every trip is order in UCP that first night and eat it on the balcony. That's our tradition :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

We arrive around 3 to check in. Once we get to the condo, we always carry our stuff in, before a "must do" first walk on the beach. There is nothing like that first touch of sand under your feet. The other must do is a trip to Boulineaus. It may be a little higher than other stores, but tradition trumps pricing every time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am 

We usually arrive between 5:30 and 7 pm its the same routine every time unlock trailer throw on the power wife and kids begin to unload car and walk dogs while I turn on the water. Wife gets the suitcases unpacked I get the air and the fridge going and unpack the cooler and then it off next door to Harry The Hats for dinner and a few cold ones.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 pm 

We usually try to time our arrival right around lunch time. Used to be lunch at Margaritaville, but after years of average overpriced food, we are starting to look elsewhere. Still will likely choose somewhere at batb. It allows us to eat, look around at some of the shops, and basically kill time while waiting to get into condo. We also usually try to make a quick stop at piggly wiggly just before check in time to pick up some essentials. Wal Mart is officially a no go on the a Saturday summer check in.
We really dont have anything that happens outside of those things. Dinner that night usually varies from year to year. Great topic by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:42 pm 

Saturday night at the Myrtle Beach Speadway for us.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:58 am 

Sorry MC, but you will need to find a new tradition for Sat. night, the races are now on Thur. as Sat was not bringing in the crowd. Also there is no admission for the races any longer, but you do pay $15 to park, and yes you can still bring your cooler with up to 6 drinks.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 am 

Gary is right. We went to the speedway on our trip a few weeks ago and had a great time. Good size crowd, and well worth $15. Brought a cooler, but also bought some refreshments.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:07 pm 

Pacinos!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:48 pm 

We don't have a tradition. If we drive straight thru 13 hrs we get there around 5 pm and are too exhausted to move. We unload the vehicle and usually argue :mad: about how much we should carry in 1 trip before dropping it as I like to take the most I can in 1 trip (with 2 people Carrying) Then I go and check out the view, grab a drink and sit on the balcony while husband after driving sometimes lays on the couch. We then decide if we should get some groceries tonight or early in the am. I dread that part but its usually to Walmart that evening with a quick stop to a fast food place. I know, a chain BUT we're just too tired.

THIS YEAR, we leave home on a Friday, drive so far stay overnight and on Saturday get to the beach about noon. Will eat somewhere for lunch, a nice restaurant, then check in. Go out for groceries then usually just go with our chairs down to the beach, not to swim but just to sit and relax.

I know, boring.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:07 pm 

We are right in the middle of the "should we stay, or drive straight through" distance to the beach. Its between 7 and 7.5 hours to the beach and it seems like everytime I decide to split the drive into two days I want to kick myself in the :bootyshake: . Although it makes for an earlier start for the vacation, its not worth the $70 to split it up. I have family that usually stay in Spartanburg or Columbia and we always end up beating them to the beach anyway. I guess we will continue the tradition of driving straight through until we at least get too old to make it in one day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

After driving 9-10 hrs. the last thing we want to do when we get to the beach is to go grocery shopping. I fix things to have for dinner and take things for breakfast, lunch and dinner the next day. All we want to do is get the car unpacked and go to the beach and dip our toes into the sand. Same for the next day. Rest and relax on the beach. No worries about having to go to the grocery store. I need my time in the sun and surf.

Will be there the middle of September. Cannot wait. :wav:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:35 pm 

We try to get a flight landing around lunch time. Get the car and drive to the hotel to get checked in. Then immediately grab something quick to eat. Then go grocery/toiletry shopping and grab a few beach essentials. Then we normally hot the beach for a bit and maybe the pool if there is time. Then by now it's dinner time which means ANGELO'S STEAK AND PASTA for dinner (always first night)!! Steaks with their garlic bleu cheese butter is the best. My favorite dinner at the beach! Then we normally go bumming for a bit (broadway at the beach usually), have some balcony time then hot the hay!

I can almost feel the first day excitement right now :mrgreen:

Patricia Grand: 2007 (Honeymoon), 2008, 2009 & 2010
No 2011 MB visit - Son Nolan born 4/20/11!
Meridian Plaza: 2012
Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13!
Bluewater Resort: 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

AC06162007 said

Caravelle: Spring 2013 - Daughter Morgan born 8/7/13

Ash,
Congratulations to you and Cory on the birth of your daughter Morgan! :angel13:

Karen in Upstate SC