Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:44 pm 

Salad greens, tomato, onion, nuked fajita chicken strips, shredded cheese and some salad crunchies......You have a $12 Applebee's Feista Chicken salad for a couple dollars. Very little clean up.

Night before while watching TV.....Cut up veggies and meat(s)......Next day when back to house. Run everything onto skewers for some quick kabobs on he grill. Little clean up.....

Yeah I know...It's a no no for the Eyetalions on the board.......Stuaffers lasagna........I know it's not homemade but hey....You're on vacation. In the oven with some Texas Toast. Toss some salad. By the time everybody is cleaned up dinner is on table and clean up is a walk to trash can.......

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm 

Back in the early 90s when Jason was little, I was office manager for a real estate company owned by a husband & wife. This was when real estate was really, really bad (believe it or not, it was worse than the recent debacle!). In lieu of an annual raise, they would let us stay in their beach house on the 3rd row in Garden City Beach. We LOVED it. But in order to have more money to do things, we would eat in about half the time. I’d do the homemade spaghetti thing, too, along with picking up or having a pizza delivered. Sometimes we’d do steaks on the grill, throw some potatoes into the oven to bake & make a toss salad. Easy peasy! Yes, we did the crock-pot thing, too. And as Alan said we even stooped to the Stouffer’s lasagna dinner & after a long day on the beach, it really hit the spot with the simple salad & garlic bread. :shock:

Fast forward to present day… we eat out more than in. Like Deanna, I cook every day so I’d like some time off for good behavior, too! :sunny: We always order Ultimate California pizza on our first night & have leftovers for lunch and/or supper during the week. We order one of their house salads & dressing & it’s enough for at least two meals with the pizza. If we are out & about at lunchtime, we’ll eat out & bring the leftovers home to eat on those nights when we just don’t feel like going out & having to fight that parking garage when we get home. This is especially nice when eaten out on the balcony!!! :nanner: We are fortunate enough that we are within walking distance to a River City Café so you know we utilize them! :hysterical: But being out as far as y’all are, I’d probably opt out of eating out every night for a nice quiet night in at least once or twice. The peel & eat shrimp along with cheese & crackers, etc. sounds heavenly! I say “Go for it!” :cheerleader:

I'd vote for Patrish's idea any day of the week!!! :rastanana:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:16 pm 

Karen,

When we were little we ate in alot at the beach. Back in the day :roll: eating out was just not the in thing to do like it is today. It amazing me how much some of my friends and family eat out. It is literally like every evening meal. Not only is it a waste of money it is most likely very unhealthy. Throughout the year we do eat out, but rarely no more than once a week. Eating out at the beach is a treat for me and I look forward to it all year :nanner: :nanner:

Emmy, to finally answer your question one of my favorite meals at the beach growing up was when my dad made his famous fajitas. What a nice memory. Sure wish I had one now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 pm 

I totally agree with the concept of "It's a vacation, I don't want to cook" as I too cook almost every evening...all the way down to making my own bread :geek: .

We eat out about once a week or so here in NY. That's about it for us. This is our third trip down this year and honestly I am so tired of rushing around after the beach :cheerleader: that eating cheese, crackers, roasted peppers, and Triscuit's sounds pretty darn good...lol!!

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I am hoping we can at least do one if not two nights in..but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm 

If it's a matter of cutting your day short on the beach you have some very casual options right there within walking distance. Hang on the beach til 4 or so. Walk over to Basil's , Boulineua's deli or even up to the pier to Boardwalk Café. No need to clean up. Swimsuits more than welcome.
After dinner back to your beach chairs for another hour or so before driving home for the evening..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:42 pm 

We like the BBQ deli chickens. You can pick up some deli salad to go with it and the next day use the left over chicken for sandwiches or add to a Caeser salad.

Also we love California Dreaming but the meal is so huge. My friend said she tells the waitress to pack up the bun and salad to take home when she orders. That way she can enjoy the meal and have the bun and salad the next day for lunch. Going to try this next trip.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:27 pm 

OOPS! :shock: I need to clarify the "we eat out more than we eat in" statement. I mean that while we are at the beach we eat out more than we eat in. Here at home, it's almost always eat in... we are so far out in the boonies, it is a chore to go into town JUST to eat out. If we are in town & it's suppertime, then we'll opt to eat out! That's why we eat out more in MB!!! :lol:

Karen in Upstate SC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm 
Forum Support

Patrish- Where did you find that table? I would love to buy one to take to the beach and especially the race track.

Emmy- You could also do Applebees carside 2-go. They have a 2 for $20 menu. When we go we get 2 Fiesta Lime Chickens and the bonless wings. Amazing value for $20!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure that table came from Wal-Mart. But you have to remember the Wal-Marts here stock at lot more beachy stuff than those not near the coast.

But it shouldn't be hard to find online with a search of "folding table with cup holders"

http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/folding ... older.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:18 am 

I fix things to eat at home before we leave for the beach, pack them in the cooler and we have our dinner already for the first night. I made a menu up of things that I can fix in 30 mins. or less. I would rather do that then have to shower, dress, go out and eat and then come back and go to the beach. This way we can eat out on the balcony, quick clean up after dinner and back to the beach.

I would rather do this and have more money to spend doing something fun. But we will go out a couple of times while we are there.

Hope everybody has as much fun at the beach as we do. 33 :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: :wav: more days images/smilies/wav.gifand we're on the road

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:03 am 

I hear the lot of you about not wanting to get changed and head out at night. What we do is really based on weather -- there is usually 2 or 3 perfect beach days, and then a day or two of cooler/rainy weather. If it's nice and sunny when we get up, we'll suit up and head down to the pools/beach for the day. Then by time it's dinnertime, we're ready to get out of the sun and head back up to shower/change and go out to dinner. If it isn't sunny or if rain is expected, we'll get dressed up and head out to have a good lunch out, then back to the condo to change and spend the rest of the day at the beach/pools. So some days we have a big lunch, and then just walk over to the River City for a sandwich for supper...or we'll have leftover pizza in the morning and then head out for a nice dinner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

It's rare for us to eat dinner in, though this next trip I hope to use the grills that are available for us to use. On days we plan to be on the beach, I'll fix toasted breakfast sandwiches, eggs and toast or oatmeal sometimes. If it's not a good beach day or we plan to sight-see, we will eat breakfast out and then snack around for dinner. We are not "3 squares a day" people. I have an extra crock pot at home that I haven't used, so I think it may take a one way trip to NBM. The people who own the condo where we stay, don't have one and it would make a nice addition to the kitchen (and free up some space at home).

For two or 3 people - here's a recipe for pizza in the crockpot. Yes, I've tried it and the crust gets nice and brown!

http://crockingirls.com/recipes/slow-cooker-pizza/

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:36 am 

missingthebeach wrote:
Patrish- Where did you find that table? I would love to buy one to take to the beach and especially the race track.

Emmy- You could also do Applebees carside 2-go. They have a 2 for $20 menu. When we go we get 2 Fiesta Lime Chickens and the bonless wings. Amazing value for $20!

You would not believe how much curb side service at these places save you.. By the time you factor in soda and tip we are at least looking at a $10 dollar discount. I usually dont do this at the beach, but if we are staying one night in a city, we do this quite often.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:03 am 

Back when we used to bring the kids and trying to save money....would plan a few meals to eat-in so that we had more $$ to go to shows and more expensive things...How about picking up rotisserie chickens (love these), either pull the chicken off and mix with BBQ sauce and make sliders, pick up some coleslaw or cut up chicken and top a big bag of salad mix and you've got chicken salads! Broiling steaks, a few baked potatoes and a bag of salad mix is an easy one too. Sometimes my poor stomach needs a break from all the big meals we eat out and needs a recovery! Haha...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:05 am 

Oh, and beef and fish tacos are easy and yummo!!!!