Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 am 

I know many of you rent places with kitchens while you are down. Do you ever utilize them for dinner or do you eat out every night? We have a full kitchen at the house (our oven is broke though) and I am embarrassed to say I never use it. There are so many great places to eat in MB that we are always going out.

Lately I feel we are always rushing because of this. We have to watch our beach time because we all have to get back from the beach, shower/dress, factor in drive time and then head back out again early enough to not have to wait an hour for a table.

So, (sorry to ramble) just want to know what do you fix if you do eat in? What are some easy go to beach meals that don't require tons of cooking, cleanup, and still make you feel like your on vacation?

I'm counting on you all to come up with some good ones!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:39 am 

We don't eat in a lot anymore since it is just the two of us. But when our kids were little (and we had little less money) we would frequently eat in. I would usually bring some frozen spaghetti sauce in the cooler and it would be almost defrosted by the time we arrived. That was always dinner the first night, along with garlic bread.

We would usually cook out on a grill one or two nights as well. The kids would hang by the pool while we grilled. Everything went on the grill - burgers, corn, veggies. Not much to clean up afterwards. I brought steaks, hamburgers or hot dogs with us, together with veggies from the farmer's market.

We would also do make your own pizzas or sub sandwiches. English muffins, pizza sauce, and toppings from the salad bar (mushrooms, green peppers, onions) and some pepperoni and cheese. Subs would be the same: rolls with different kinds of meat, together with salads from the deli.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:54 am 

We are a big fan of crockpot meals while on vacation. Most meals take about 10 minutes to prep and the crockpot does the rest, so we do not miss out on any fun. Our favorites are roast, bbq chicken or pork chops and taco soup. Other than those we just eat deli sandwiches and eat out the rest of the time. On occasion I might whip up some stir fry with fresh shrimp from Eugene Platts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:27 am 

I know what you mean about the rushing, because sometimes I feel like that too, but honestly, by 4pm or so, i'm ready to get in off the beach. I'm usually tired, thirsty (never drink enough water) and hungry! Part of the appeal of vacation to me is going out to eat and doing something at night.

I would like to switch it around a day or so and do lunch out (cheaper) and stay on the beach later into the evening!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:29 am 

We usually eat out! One of the best parts of being in MB is all the yummy restaurants we don't have back home! :beerchug:

We order a couple UCP pizzas the first night in the condo -- leftovers make for breakfast and snacks the next couple days! We usually stop at the Food Lion to pick up some snacks and something like granola bars or PopTarts for breakfast -- we're not big breakfast folks. I'd rather skip that and head into lunch, like at CreekRatz or River City! :mrgreen: I don't feel as "guilty" splurging on a couple meals out a day - it's budgeted into my vacation expenses.

I do love the spaghetti sauce idea and the crockpot meals! And I wish the hotels we've stayed at have grills - I'd love to grill up a NY strip and baked tater at the beach!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm 

Quote:
One of the best parts of being in MB is all the yummy restaurants we don't have back home!

Same here.. plus we were fortunate that Kelly and her friends would be happy eat in the condo while Jan and I went out :nanner:

Now we are empty-nesters, our idea of "eating in" is to get a lunch order to-go and eat it for dinner in the room. The prices are usually far less than dinner, and the portions only slightly smaller. We frequently do this from the Sea Captains House.

I'm on vacation... no dishes for me ! :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:07 pm 

We never cook while at the beach. Do have cold sandwich meat, chips, and plenty of other snack food well stocked. I'm personally bored with beach time by 2 or 3 o'clock, so making an early dinner not really a "feeling rushed" issue for us. I have too many favorite restaurants to try while in MB. Already not enough nights to eat at all of them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:15 pm 

I cook most days of the week when we are home and I pretty much refuse to plan, grocery shop, cook and clean up while at the beach. It is my vacation too and cooking is lots of work. Now if I had to I would, but I am just not there yet.

Emmy, I do agree that sometimes I feel rushed, but it sure beats cooking :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:32 pm 

I agree with everyone about all the great places to eat in MB! I was just looking for a couple of nights to eat in and relax with maybe some peel and eat shrimp, good cheese and crackers, and a bottle of wine... :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 pm 

We usually eat in about every other day to save time, money, and the boys are still little and don't like sitting still in a restaurant every night. :wink: I will make easy things like burgers or chicken breast on the grill. If we are hanging out at the pool for the day Bryan will grill and we eat at the pool in our bathing suits. :wink: We also end up with leftovers when we do go out and a night or two ends up being leftover night.

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

Crock pot is the way to go. Fill it with a recipe that appeals to you early in the morning, go to the beach for the day, come home at dinner time and it's waiting on you.
Wally, walking in the door: "Ummm, something smells good."
Me: "Yes, it's a new chicken recipe I've been working on all afternoon!"
Wally: "Looks like you got a nice tan while you were cooking dinner!"

http://www.food.com/slideshow/best-slow ... ecipes-126

http://www.food.com/recipes/crock-pot-s ... er/popular

http://www.crock-pot-recipes.us/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:11 am 

I was thinking about doing more cooking this year. Ideally I would like if one of our group (or me) could make something for everyone to eat on the beach for lunch and bring it down for the group. That way we don't have to miss any precious beach time. As for dinner, I hate to leave the beach. 5:00 to me is the best time to be on the beach. The crowds die down and the sun isn't as hot. I have been trying to get my hubby to go out to lunch each day instead of dinner (cheaper, less crowded) and then eat dinner in the hotel/on the beach. I could sit on the beach until the sun goes down, but everyone in my group is packing up to get cleaned up to go out to dinner.

Anyway.... I've been trying to think of food that can be eaten easily on the beach for this year (preferably without the need for a bunch of knives, forks and spoons) -- pizza, sliders, nachos, etc.

Angela

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:24 am 

SugarMagnolia wrote:
As for dinner, I hate to leave the beach. 5:00 to me is the best time to be on the beach. The crowds die down and the sun isn't as hot.

Anyway.... I've been trying to think of food that can be eaten easily on the beach for this year (preferably without the need for a bunch of knives, forks and spoons) -- pizza, sliders, nachos, etc.

Angela

I couldn't agree more! We are always having to leave the beach by 2:30 the latest, drive back to the house, 3-4 people shower/dress (one bathroom) and be out again by 4:30 to get to a restaurant by 5:00. Just thinking about it is making me feel rushed.

I am starting a list of ideas and I am determined to eat in/or on the beach at least once or twice...Hey, it's a start :wink: !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Or grab some fast food and eat it on the beach.
Perfect for sunset!
Zaxby's on the beach!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:28 am 

patrish wrote:
Or grab some fast food and eat it on the beach.
Perfect for sunset!
Zaxby's on the beach!

THAT"S IT!!!!! EXACTLY what I was thinking. Thank you Patrish!!

Uhmmm wait...what is Zaxby's?? Off to Google :wink: