Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:21 pm 

I have hesitated asking this question as I am sure it is a sticky topic. How do you handle going to the hotel pool to find most chairs being held by towels? My husband has already brought up that if we see this, he will move the towels if nobody is around. Our teen daughter prefers the pool and I really want to avoid any confrontation especially while on vacation. We have seen this in the past that towels are placed on chairs and the towel owners aren't seen all day.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:03 pm 

Resorts need to use the policy of some cruise ships I have been on. Set an amount of time that seat can be unoccupied and remove towels if the are empty beyond that amount of time. I would be mad if I went to the room for a 20 minute snack and someone removed my towel. We rarely use pools in MB so personally this doesn't effect me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:40 pm 

No....I wasn't talking about someone taking a break from the pool. I guess I need to clarify. Not a 'used' towel for someone in the pool or running for a break. I mean a folded towel on the chair at daybreak and it still being untouched hours later.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:46 pm 

I'm with your husband, just because someone comes to the pool at 7 am and puts towels on chairs then leaves and goes out for breakfast and shopping, don't expect those chairs to be empty at noon, heck don;t expect them empty at 10.

To me that is one of the rudest things people do and yes it is done regularly by folks, some people feel it is an unwritten rule that says this is what you do to get good seating poolside.

The last cruise we went on, there was 10 of us and my sister said she was going to go down early and save chairs, I said no your not and explained why you don;t do things like that.

If I am at a hotel/resort and a chair has been non-occupied by a person for an hour, it's up for grabs, even if it has a book, or personal items, I will get an attendant to remove them and put them aside for the owner.

This past Saturday a family had their tent set up back by the dune line, there was no other tent around, another family came down with a tent and set it up right in front of the other family, I know I would have said something.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:02 pm 

while I haven't the audacity to move their things, I do make certain that when these rude folks return, they have a nice, soggy towel to lay on. what can I say? my cannon balls need practice and it just so happens I prefer to do near their things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm 

phroggy wrote:
while I haven't the audacity to move their things, I do make certain that when these rude folks return, they have a nice, soggy towel to lay on. what can I say? my cannon balls need practice and it just so happens I prefer to do near their things.

I'd probably make sure those towels were wet upon their return...

...but not with pool water. :bootyshake:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:08 pm 

:lol: Thank you for your comments and assuring me that I am not the only one that finds this practice rude.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm 

Oh, I would definitely move them. If they come back within a few minutes, I would give them their chair back. Oddly reading this I realized that I've never left my towels to occupy a chair unless I was actually right there, but in the pool. When I leave the pool area, I take my towel with me. I don't use it to hold a spot (but then maybe that's because I don't mind moving other people's towels - LOL).
Angela

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:25 am 

I've never moved other people's towels, but I've wanted to!

I agree that it's only OK to have your stuff on a chair if you are IN the pool area. Not up in your condo, not on the beach, not out shopping, etc. Why should someone else who IS at the pool not be able to have a chair so that you can save one for when you *might* (or even definitely) come back.

We usually just grab 2 chairs as well, for our family of 4. I am most likely to be using one, as I like to read a lot on vacation, but then I'll hop in the pool for a few minutes to play with the kids and cool off. The other one is for whoever comes out to take a break, or for Dave to come lay on for awhile while the kids play. He never goes to the pool with us at home, so most of the time he's in the water with the kids. But if I see someone looking for a chair, I'll move our stuff off the other one and make it available, so we just have one at that time. If everyone gets out for a break and we're down to one chair -we go do something else - beach, take a walk, up to the condo for a break, etc.