Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To rent a car or not?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:17 pm 

Hello fellow message board followers....Been gone for quite a while....life's little curve balls, caring for my mom, etc.....Finally making time again for my favorite beach ever!
Just hubby and I Aug 22-29th...flying this time so I'm questioning the real need for a rental if we're mainly just going for the beach and relaxation. We have been to every attraction, restaurant, show, etc...over the years, looking for pure relaxation and a few good meals, etc....Staying at Ocean Creek affords us the easy jaunt across the street for anything there, was mainly wondering of any local tram service or bus service that runs from NMB to Broadway, and areas more south? Any recommendations for transportation appreciated....can't hardly justify a $300+ rental just to make a few jaunts here and there. Thanks in advance. I always value all the input on this great board!
Donalee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:42 pm 

sorry for the double post, don't know what I did

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:06 pm 

A quick search at http://www.carrentals.com/ shows MYR has cheaper priced rentals

$230. isn't too bad. I almost never see a bus when I'm there. Other option would be taxi's
I've always rented when flying down as everything is so spread out.
I'd go for the small car rental option and then have freedom as to where to go and eat.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 am 

Donna, this has been debated on many forums, and a car is necessary and/or will pay for itself in taxi fares.

I'll bet you have not done everything that this area has to offer, I'll even put a wager you never heard of some of the things we have available :)

There are over 1900 places to eat along the Grand Strand, so many Attractions and Things to Do, have you ever been to Plantation Point for a horse back ride on the beach or an ATV ride on the beach and through the dunes and woods along the beach? How about a visit to Hopswee Plantation or a couple hour sail on a 42' private sailboat.

How about a guided tour along the Waccamaw River on Captain Jim's electric boat, or a swamp tour with Captain Kirk?

I 1st moved here in 79 and have not done everything that is offered :)

But then if all your looking for is the beach/pool and Barefoot Landing, your correct, you don't need a car, the taxi ride form the airport to Ocean Creek should be about $50 each way.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:54 pm 

After some research, I do think we will rent a car if not for the taxi fare savings alone....And you are right Gary, we haven't done "everything" but we have made the decision to try and enjoy the beach itself more and do less running around. You see, for all the years we've come down, a 12hr drive each way, and then up and down 17 over and over again to haul all the kids to amusements, etc...we always felt we did more driving and running than we needed and didn't get enough "beach time". But that horseback ride does sound nice :wink: you need to get into the tour guide biz, haha. :lol: Thanks for your input!