Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lazy River
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:48 am 

While I prefer to park myself in a beach chair as the tide rolls in and out tickling my toes, I find it necessary to wander frequently back to the pool area of the resort to quench my thirst for alcoholic substances. Sure, I can chill pool side nestled into a chair and watch the folks afraid of a little salt water and sand spend their ENTIRE vacation in the cement pond. But, I sometimes find it enjoyable to lay back in a raft while floating aimlessly around the lazy river. The problem that arises is the folks who let their kids run through and splash around with no regard for the name of said attraction. Am I being too intolerant or do I have a valid point that it's a LAZY river and not ACTIVE river? Cheers!!!

Post subject: Re: Lazy River
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:49 pm 

No, I agree with you!! The one at the Long Bay Resort is pretty small, but danged busy and usually nobody controlling their children! That's one of my pet peeves!

I'd never liked using the lazy river because it's crazy...but we went to the Kalahari water resort in OH last August, and that was the nicest float -- busy, but they have lifeguards all around and they kept the kids in control. We spent probably an hour just floating around there!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:35 pm 

funny. I'm going to Kalahari tomorrow!! I live like ten minutes from it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:39 pm 

Well be sure to enjoy the lazy river! I love that wave pool, too! And the swim up bar :beerchug:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:00 pm 

We are going to kalahari...for our school's 8th grade trip & Cedar point...this is our 3rd trip there...always fun! As lead teacher at our school I get to be a chaperone... :tongue3: ...really though the students are usually really well behaved...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

It's the Ohio connection......love you guys!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:13 am 

I can't stand that! The last 2 years at the Sea Crest the lazy river has been awful! We go the week after labor day, so you'd think a lot of kids would be back in school, but they are always swimming, jumping, and doing everything except for being "lazy" in it! I guess i'm just getting old, but it does annoy me a little! :roll:

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:32 pm 

ScarletBegonias, didn't I see you at the lazy river with a small child, jumping in and out? LOL!!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:06 pm 

SugarMagnolia wrote:
ScarletBegonias, didn't I see you at the lazy river with a small child, jumping in and out? LOL!!

I was making sure he didn't get injured! or drown! He's 2! :mrgreen:

OKAY.. it was a little fun, but if you are just trying to relax, it's still annoying. But when I was jumping in and out it was ALL KIDS doing the same thing.

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:11 am 

Several years ago we were staying at a hotel where they drained the lazy river, cleaned it, and refilled it during a very busy time of year (July 4th week). The maintenance staff did a very good, quick job and it was greatly appreciated. Always happy when our kids were able to swim in clean water at public pools.

The first day that it was open, a woman took a huge basket of beach toys and cleaned them off in the Lazy River! I went to tell the manager, and he said that there wasn't much he could do, since she was a paying guest and he didn't want to upset her. Disappointed, I went back out and confronted her myself. She seemed shocked that anyone would be upset that she was cleaning the sand, seawater, snot, and gunk off of her kid's beach toys in the lazy river. I tried to explain to her that it had JUST been drained and cleaned, and probably wouldn't get cleaned again until the Fall, so she was ruining it for guests for the rest of the summer. She left in a huff, but many of the other guests thanked me.

So, it isn't always the pain-in-the-butt kids swimming and running all around the lazy river... it can be stupid adults too, that ruin what should be a relaxing activity!

Scott

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:06 pm 

amen, Scott. I applaud you!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:19 pm 

WVParkfan wrote:
Several years ago we were staying at a hotel where they drained the lazy river, cleaned it, and refilled it during a very busy time of year (July 4th week). The maintenance staff did a very good, quick job and it was greatly appreciated. Always happy when our kids were able to swim in clean water at public pools.

The first day that it was open, a woman took a huge basket of beach toys and cleaned them off in the Lazy River! I went to tell the manager, and he said that there wasn't much he could do, since she was a paying guest and he didn't want to upset her. Disappointed, I went back out and confronted her myself. She seemed shocked that anyone would be upset that she was cleaning the sand, seawater, snot, and gunk off of her kid's beach toys in the lazy river. I tried to explain to her that it had JUST been drained and cleaned, and probably wouldn't get cleaned again until the Fall, so she was ruining it for guests for the rest of the summer. She left in a huff, but many of the other guests thanked me.

So, it isn't always the pain-in-the-butt kids swimming and running all around the lazy river... it can be stupid adults too, that ruin what should be a relaxing activity!

Scott

The whole problem with all that is, drain it to clean it? Now that I bought a pool last year (instead of Myrtle Beach trip) and extensively researched and learned how to keep a pool clean and sanitized, draining it would be the biggest waste of time to clean it.

I am now almost afraid of going into a public pool knowing how to keep my pool crystal clear and sparkly clean and what a dirty public pool would actually be like when it is "clean". I am half tempted to bring my water test kit to MB with me, LOL.

Hmm, wonder if there could be a good business opportunity down there with all the pools. It literally would only take about half an hour a day after the initial cleaning for me to maintain a pool and I could travel all along the coast keeping all the hotels' pools in crystal clear condition. Your hair would no longer turn green, your eyes would no longer burn and skin itch, and you would no longer have that horrid chlorine smell that everyone mistakenly takes as "a lot of chlorine in the pool."

You could literally use my pool water for drinking the water if you needed to, that is after maybe half a days worth of sun to burn of a little bit of the chlorine since I target 5ppm and the FDA states that 4ppm or lower of chlorine is safe to drink. There's no harsh "pool store" chemicals in my pool. I use the same stuff in my pool as you use in baking a cake and doing your laundry, but at much lower concentrates. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 pm 

Aren't most of the pools at the resorts maintained via salt water filters?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:11 pm 

We have a local semi-private pool in the neighborhood. Members take turns every few years doing the cleaning and maintenance work. Did it a few times through the years. One large community sized pool with kiddie area and a diving area. A separate baby pool over to the side. Many thought it was a good thing keeping the diaper filled water separate from main pool. Every now and then we would "drain" the baby pool and clean it. All we were doing was turning a valve in the pump room running to that pool. They never realized it was plumbed into same pump and filter system as main pool. What went into one pool eventually found it's way into the other.

Haven't seen any blueprints for resorts or hotels but not hard to imagine it being the same way only on a larger scale. All the pools and lazy rivers all hooked to same pumps and filters. They might turn some valves to drain and clean a lazy river but just as soon as the water is turned back on it fills with water from the other pools. Even if they add fresh water into the system it wouldn't be an hour or more before it would be blended in with the old.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 am 

phroggy wrote:
Aren't most of the pools at the resorts maintained via salt water filters?

I've only stayed at the Dayton House. Salt water systems are about 3200-3500 ppm salt (I actually use a salt water generator on my pool, so once summer hits, I lied, you couldn't drink my water, but you could today since I haven't started that up.) But anyways, the general consensus is its a 50/50 chance that you can detect the taste of the salt in the water or not. In my pool, I and my oldest daughter can taste it but my wife and younger daughter can't. If the Dayton House was a salt water system, I think I would have noticed.

For what it's worth, a salt water pool is still chlorine based. It is just chlorine generated by the salt (sodium chloride) in the pool as opposed to pool chemical chlorine (sodium hypochlorite which is bleach or calcium hypochlorite.)

Even though a salt water system is pretty much hands off maintenance, you still have to test it as you need to know how much chlorine is being generated and how much chlorine is being used up from sanitation. And if the water is properly maintained, then the kids can have any "accidents" they want, it won't affect anything and will still be perfectly clean. They only extra maintenance would be if the "accident" had more of a solid nature and would need to be removed. An "accident" contamination would be sanitized the same as all the sweat, body oils, sunscreen, and anything else is sanitized and burned off by the sun after being combined with the chlorine.

In a properly maintained pool, there is 2 stages of the chlorine in the pool, free chlorine and combined chlorine. The free chlorine is the chlorine available for sanitation and combined chlorine is the chlorine that has attached and combined with the organics it is sanitizing out of the water. Both are burned off by the sun. It takes a specific test in order to separate and test for both free chlorine and combined chlorine. Properly maintained, you shouldn't see any level of combined chlorine (used up chlorine) or very little as it should be burned off from the sun. The combined chlorine is what you smell when people say, "you can smell how much chlorine is being used."

A regular chlorinated pool should have a certain level of stabilizer and have a free chlorine concentration of around 3-5 ppm (parts per million) and a salt water generated chlorine pool due to the nature of slowly adding chlorine needs more stabilizer and a free chlorine level of 5-7 ppm. Properly maintained, the combined chlorine level should be less than 0.5 ppm. When I close my pool, I take the free chlorine level up to 27 ppm which is quite significantly higher than normal conditions and I still can not smell the chlorine.

Whoops, I'm winded now. There's my version of the School of Pool, LOL.