Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Day Trip to Charleston
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:16 pm 

We've talked about doing this several times, but I think this year we're actually going to do it!! The kids are older now (10 and 8) and we've done DC successfully, we know they can do "city touring". We'll check in MB on a Saturday and out on a Friday, so I was thinking Tuesday would be good to "break up" the beach days. I've researched a little but I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on the best things to do!!

I did see that this is a tour bus out of MB to Charleston. I don't think we want to do the boat tour, though, and I think we'd prefer to just drive ourselves. A few things I know we want to do:

Carriage ride --it looks like Palmetto offers a good deal with free parking for 4 hours, so we could tour the Market as well?

Middleton Place -- a friend who's visited Magnolia and Boone Hall as well told me THIS is the one we want to see

The Battery - not sure how to best see this?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on other things we should do, maybe restaurants we should try? We're looking to probably make it a full day (another reason we don't want to do the tour -we'd like to do dinner in Charleston and the tour brings you back to MB by 5:30) We can leave early 6 or 7 and get back late, doesn't matter to us. Oh, and restaurant-wise: I don't do seafood or fish of any kind (yeah, I know;) and neither does DD, so we'd want someplace that at least has a few other selections

Any help is much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

We often do day trips to Charleston. Here's my Charleston page which lists plenty of things to do and places to eat. Ask if you have questions.
http://www.funbeaches.com/charleston.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:06 pm 

Go, Go, Go!! After Myrtle Beach, Charleston is my newest favorite vacation spot! :wav:

A few of my suggestions:

We wanted to do the boat tour and carriage tour. We stopped at the CBV on the way in and they booked everything for us! Easy and friendly service. I'd recommend this be your first stop! They have maps and all the info you'll need.

Plantations - skip Boone Hall...we went there because it has the best drive in and the movie North and South was filmed there. And I love me some Orry Main! However - the tour was very disappointing. The plantation home isn't original - it's been rebuilt. And it is still occupied by residents and you cannot take photos except on the outside. The Gullah Theatre was awesome, though - great stories and we really enjoyed that. I can't comment on the other two - but I'd recommend either over Boone Hall.

Carriage ride - a must! I think it's really the best way to tour the historical parts of the city and get to hear the stories that go along with that history. We went with Olde Towne Carriage Company and Kristoff the tour guide was fantastic! One thing to remember is, in order to limit the number of tours in one area, the tours are done by lottery when you leave - you won't know which tour you're going on until you head out. We were lucky and ours included the French Quarter and The Battery. I'd love to go back and see more of the city we didn't get to explore!

Harbor tour - we had a great, great trip! Our trip was on the Carolina Belle. We didn't want to spend the whole tour at Ft. Sumter and this was a better option for us. We got to go out to the fort and see it, but also got to see so much more - along the Battery, under the Ravenel Bridge, etc. It's got a covered, air-conditioned room or you can sit on the decks outside and enjoy the scenery better. There is a small concession stand on board, too.

Restaurants - I have two recommendations. We didn't want to visit the real popular places and found a couple fun out of the ordinary places. With not wanting all seafood - these might be a couple different options for ya'll!

The first is actually in Mt. Pleasant on the way in to Charleston - Jack's Cosmic Dogs. I think your kids would enjoy this place - it is decorated real funky and has arcade games. The hot dogs were really good - and they have tons of options! The cheese fries were really tastey, too. http://jackscosmicdogs.com/

The second is Vickery's - I had the jerk chicken sandwich and it was amazingly good! We had a nice mixed drink with our meals. The restaurant is decorated really cool - and there is a patio outside, too. http://www.vickerys.com/index_2.html

A couple other comments:

If you have time - visit the Angel Oak on St. John's Island, it's "Just a tree", but it's really worth the little extra drive! Also - if you've read any of Dorothea Benton Frank's novels, you'll recognize most of the names in this area - Folly Beach, Shem Creek, Isle of Palms, etc. She is one of my favorite authors, and it was so interesting to drive and spend time in the all the area's I'd read about in her stories!

Sweetgrass baskets - be sure to bargin a little. They are most expensive at the CVB and at the market. On the drive down 17 (aka Sweetgrass Highway) you'll see lots of little stands along side of the road - I'd recommend shopping at one of these stands instead of buying them in town!

Also - you asked about The Battery area -- this is my most favorite spot in Charleston! You can drive down there from the market area with no problems. There is plenty of parking along the seawall and the park, so that shouldn't be an issue. We like to drive out to the end of the seawall, park and walk along the riverwalk and look at all the gorgeous homes. I kid that if I lived there - I'd so be a jogger, just to see this place everyday! lol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:25 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
We go to Charleston a lot...carriage ride is a must! We have done them all and they are all pretty good.

I think the plantation tours are kinda a bust with younger kiddos. I have an eight year old too and even though he is a huge history buff this would even be a push for him.

A boat tour is always fun but on my first trip I would probably want to explore as much of the city as possible. It is so nice to just get about and explore after the carraige tour.

You can drive down to battery/ park and roam around.

Lots of great places to eat with children in Charleston: Hominy Grill, Jestines, Fleet Landing...of course these arent the "best" dining in Charleston but places that are tasty and great for when you have kids with you.

Jack's Cosmic dogs is a great stop for the kids...and adults. One time I was by myself on the way back from Charleston and I stopped but I just got take out, I looked like I had been in a fight with a chili dog and blue cheese slaw by the time I go back...lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 am 

Oh wow, so much great information!!! Thank you all so much!! Glad to know we can park and walk the Battery if our carriage doesn't go there. now I'm off to research restaurants!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:36 pm 

we never even thought about a day trip to charleston! That is something to start thinking about for Oct. when we have 2 sons & 2 dil's with us!!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:37 pm 

An old post I know, but I've been reading through because i'm missing MB!

We took a day trip to Charleston last year. It was so cute and quaint! We stopped in this book store/flower shop/coffee shop and coffees out on the back deck looking at the harbor walk. Afterwards we went in to a neat little art gallery and talked to the woman who worked there. We got ice and cream and walked around downtown. It was such a neat little place. There were a lot of restraurants along the harbour walk too. We found a little gift shop that had the cutest little dog named Gulliver snoozing away.

I'd love to go back, but it was a rather long drive!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:15 pm 

Location: Murrell's Inlet, South Carolina (KY in my former life)
ScarletBegonias wrote:

We took a day trip to Charleston last year. It was so cute and quaint! We stopped in this book store/flower shop/coffee shop and coffees out on the back deck looking at the harbor walk. Afterwards we went in to a neat little art gallery and talked to the woman who worked there. We got ice and cream and walked around downtown. It was such a neat little place. There were a lot of restraurants along the harbour walk too. We found a little gift shop that had the cutest little dog named Gulliver snoozing away.

Are you talking about Georgetown? Because this description sounds more like Georgetown than Charleston.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:05 pm 

Laura wrote:
ScarletBegonias wrote:

Are you talking about Georgetown? Because this description sounds more like Georgetown than Charleston.

Laura - YES. My brain was thinking the wrong place! LOL :hysterical:

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!