Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

This was my first visit to the Surf Diner on the Surfside Pier.

On Feb. 19, my friend Gail and I had lunch here. This was one of the first warm days we've had since the ice accumulation on 2/14.

The basic layout of the restaurant has not changed since Nibil's occupied this spot. We were seated where we had a view of the Surfside pier, and we could see several people walking the beach and flying kites.

The prices here are reasonable. Gail and I both ordered from the "Lighter Side" menu where we both chose the Pecan Salad with Fresh Fruit for $8.99. We were not disappointed! The fruit really was fresh, and the chicken salad was very tasty. Service was good, and the atmosphere was pleasant. I would (and probably will) go back.

Here are some photos. The menu, our Pecan Salad with Fresh Fruit, and a quick shot of our view of the pier. Gail and I suspected those people on the beach must be Canadians, because it took us 10 seconds to decide it was too cold for us to walk the beach after lunch. ( Hey, I love y'all Canadians! )

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:29 am 

I can't help but notice the redundancy of restaurant menus. Most, if not all, offer burgers, fries, wraps etc all using the same ingredients from one place to the next. It seems that the only thing that changes is the atmosphere. While the Surf Diner offers what I'm sure is a superb view, the menu from what I've seen leaves a lot to be desired. There's nothing unique about the food to accompany the location. Perhaps I'm wrong and hopefully I am. Best of luck to their continued success.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:20 pm 
Forum Support

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

I don't think food is all the same from one restaurant to another, but I can't speak for all types of food because there's an awful lot of food items I don't order. Any of my friends will tell you I'm a picky eater. My list of foods I don't eat is longer than my list of foods I do eat.

If you like a certain menu item and order it regularly, it can vary considerably from restaurant to restaurant. Take Wally and "grouper sandwiches" and "shrimp and grits." He has ordered his two favorites in dozens of area restaurants, and they vary considerably. Every restaurant seems to have a different recipe for their shrimp and grits, and a grouper sandwich can vary in size, taste, preparation, and buns.

My favorites for dining out are (1) Dinner salads which vary considerably and (2) chicken marsala which I've ordered in probably a half dozen local Italian restaurants, and each one has it's own recipe.

Can't really speak about hamburgers, but we like the burgers at 5 Guys and River City Cafe, so we don't branch out past those two.

Phroggy, good food for thought (no pun intended, LOL!) You got me thinking about where I eat and what I order, and how much bearing the location has on my opinion of the food.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 pm 

Prices looked decent there. The view, combined with good food and reasonable prices would entice me to stop there.