Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:08 pm 

Ok, this place says 'barbecue' in the title. It is not a barbecue restaurant. What it is, is the best real, down home southern restaurant there is in these parts. Its a buffet, and a very very good one.
We got there, and it was PACKED. We soon came to understand why. For eight dollars and 75 cents you get a feast.

My husband is a Chef, and he's from Mobile, Alabama. He said Prossers reminded him of going to Sunday Dinner at his aunts house. It was that good.

there is no liquor, there doesn't need to be. They have great Sweet tea, and everything is home made. We went back 3 times.

Now you have to understand, this is Southern Food, in a real Southern family restaurant. What they had was on the lunch day:
Chicken and rice, mashed potatoes, sweet potato cassarole, green beans, collards, rice with peas, rice, fried catfish, fried flounder, crabcakes, fried chicken, baked chicken, and other things.....and yes, dessert.

They also have an early bird dinner some nights of the week, and dinner from Wed-Sat, with an early dinner on Sunday. But make sure they are open before you go.

the other is, you may have to wait. Do. It's worth it.

My husband is still dreaming of this place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:43 pm 

I've been wanting to go here for the past couple of years but we always ran out of time. Your review has me with an 'I Must Go!' mentality!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm 

We, too, love Prossers. The Sunday Brunch is lovely...they close at 2:00 on Sundays. Thursday night is oyster night...excellent, lightly padded oysters. Hush puppies and the fried flounder is terrific...the fried chicken is hot and crispy. They usually have a nice chicken and slippery dumpling and I understand the mac and cheese is good. My husband loves the greens and the barbeque (sauce is vinegar based).

Through years we decided to forgo Calabash and the big buffets and stick with Prossers. Plenty of good food for our needs. There's even a small salad bar if you're determined to be healthy (I skip it to save room for hush puppies with honey butter...which are much better IMHO than the flat biscuit things).

I've seen people order carryout (they prepare the order from the buffet while you watch) but I've never carried out.

Mary Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am 

Fyrecat wrote:
Ok, this place says 'barbecue' in the title. It is not a barbecue restaurant. What it is, is the best real, down home southern restaurant there is in these parts. Its a buffet, and a very very good one.
We got there, and it was PACKED. We soon came to understand why. For eight dollars and 75 cents you get a feast...

Prossers is a very popluar place with a large and loyal following - including us.

A couple links to my previous posts about them:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6732&p=67489&hilit=Prosser%27s#p67489

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6732&p=67265&hilit=Prosser%27s#p67265

One comment I'd made - something important for folks to know - is their hours. Since my last post, they have expanded their hours some, and I believe are open for dinner on more days...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:32 pm 

We ate at Prosser's our first night at the beach. It is a barbecue place in name, but I go for the seafood. I couldn't really tell you how good most of the items are because my plate is always loaded with seafood. The food is always pretty good and it's pretty cheap for a buffet that has quality seafood. The seafood options are fried fish, fried shrimp, fried scallops, and fried oysters (I may have left one off). Hushpuppies are also pretty good. I did eat a piece of fried chicken that was pretty good. They do a good job of keeping fresh food out and the parking lot is full of local tags which is a good sign. The price has crept up over the years though. I think the first year we started going it was around $11.95 and now it's $13.95 and they have dropped the free iced tea that was included. It is open for lunch daily and Wed-Sat in the evenings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 am 

I just may have to try Prossers out. I miss going to the K&W, so this may be a decent substitute.