Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Myrtle Beach community makes dying woman’s wish come true

When her helicopter lifted off and carried her over the sea off Myrtle Beach’s coast Sunday, passenger Sheila Price, 49, saw her final wish come true.

Price is dying of cancer.

Through her hospice case worker, a group of business owners and residents donated an afternoon of experiences Price has only ever dreamed of.

“It was wonderful, being over the water and seeing everything. It was beautiful,” she said.

When Sheila Price moved to Myrtle Beach last May, she didn’t know she had cancer.

She and her husband, John, raised their son and daughter, John, or J.P., as he’s known, and Christian, in Virginia. When the children were grown -- J.P. stationed in Alaska in the military and Christian raising a child of her own, the Prices decided to start over.

They got a little money together, sold some things and moved to the beach.

But they had little time to enjoy their new life.

In August, Sheila Price was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and given only two weeks to live.

She knew she had asthma, and at first doctors thought her breathing problem was related to that. Sheila Price said.

By the time the cancer was discovered, it had grown attached to her trachea and was strangling her to death, she said.

Though the growth on her trachea has been removed since an attack last year that almost killed her, a cancerous growth is also entwined around her aorta. After 22 bouts of radiation, it has shrunk some, but not enough.

“I don’t know how long I have to live – nobody does – only God knows that,” she said. “I just live each day as if it is my last. I love to wake up in the morning and thank God for giving me another day.”

She’s trying to enjoy the time she has left, and being an adventurous person, she said she had always wanted to take a helicopter ride.

Under the care of Hospice Care of South Carolina, Sheila Price told her social worker, Shannon Dennison, about her dream.

Dennison approached Huffman Helicopters, and the company donated its introductory ride.

Cindy McLaughlin, community liaison for Hospice Care of South Carolina, first saw Sheila Price when she went to her house to deliver the certificate for the airborne excursion.

“The helicopter ride was really all she hoped for, but I couldn’t leave it at that. I just couldn’t,” McLaughlin said.

McLaughlin found people with open hearts and giving spirits to help make the occasion even more special.

Platinum Limousines donated a limo for three hours, the Sea Captain’s House donated a meal for six and a Myrtle Beach family paid Huffman Helicopters to extend the time in the air.

Shelia knew about the helicopter ride, but did not expect the stretch car and dinner.

She said she was “blown away” when she saw the limo.

“My head is still spinning, and now my belly is very full. I’m very appreciative. I’ve had a great day. I can’t believe all these people went out of their way to do this for somebody they don’t even know,” she said.

Several members of Sheila’s family, including her parents, came from Virginia to be with her Sunday.

Her husband, John, and her younger sister, Alicia Arbaugh, rode with her in the helicopter.

“It was an amazing experience to get to share that with her. It was such a blessing. I think the whole day was so overwhelming for her,” Arbaugh said.

People hear about hospice and think they know what the agency does, Arbaugh said, but she had never imagined that hospice would make something like this happen for her sister.

“I think they’re just angels. It was a wonderful thing for them to do this. It’s been such a blessing,” Arbaugh said.

Sheila Price couldn’t have agreed more.

“I’ve had a great day,” she said. “God bless everybody.”

Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012
Source: The Sun News
By Peggy Mishoe - For The Sun News
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/0 ... dying.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:08 pm 

WOW!!! AllI can say...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:06 pm 

Alot of local Angels at work very well done... :angel13: :angel13:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:09 am 

so beautiful...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:42 am 

Awesome!!!!

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:34 am 
Forum Support

:angel7: What a nice heartwarming story. :angel7:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:28 pm 

that is absolutely wonderful!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:38 pm 

So great the community came together to bring some cheer into this family's life. Cancer is so evil and affects SO many people of all walks of life.

But love will conquer all.... a friend just posted this on Facebook after one of her best friends recently passed.

The Birthday Wish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Admin

Well thanks, Kirk. Now I can hardly see the keyboard because I have tears running down my cheeks.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:04 pm 

This entire thread is heartwarming and should make us all realize that there is still good in this world.