Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 pm 

Does anyone have any unusual Christmas Traditions -- either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day (or anytime around Christmas)?

On Christmas Morning, my husband and I make brunch for our parents, sibilings, children and grandchildren. Then after everyone leaves, we take a nap. In the evening we go out to eat at a Chinese restaurant and then we take our kids and their significant others bowling.

Anyone else?

Angela

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:40 am 

OK this is not my actual family but it pretty much represents our Italian Christmas (in a funny way)... It's amazing how cultural traditions are passed down and passed down. You really can't stray from them for the fear of offending "your heritage." Enjoy and Buon Natale!!

http://youtu.be/ZzTBc-ARN5Y

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:03 pm 

I don't know if it is unusual or not, probably just weird since I am in my 30s now but I have to watch the 11pm News on Christmas Eve to see the Santa Tracker they do. I don't watch the news any other time during the year as I get most of it online.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:50 pm 

We are starting something new this year and are making a birthday cake for Jesus to have on Christmas morning. My 4 year old is VERY excited about it. :cool:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:08 pm 

We always "march" the three wise men all around the house prior to Christmas Day. Since my kids were little the wise men have started on one side of the house and each day we move them a couple of feet closer to the manger. Its funny people come in the house and see the wise men on the kitchen counter, the living room floor, the stairs....But for me it always kept the kids focusing on the meaning of Christmas!! They are 16 and 18 and they still move them!!!

Of course our other tradition for the last 18 years is to leave on the 26th and head to Myrtle Beach!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:54 pm 

Some great traditions !!!!!

Kelly's Birthday is also Christmas Day, so at 2:30pm we have her mini-birthday party.... as long as we are up from our naps by then :lol:

Kelly always follows the Santa Tracker starting early Christmas Eve: http://www.noradsanta.org/en/

She turns 18 this year... think she'll grow out of it ? (not a chance.............................)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:43 pm 

I have gone to my sisters for the past 12 years or so for Christmas Eve, we usually have a couple of guitar players, a bass fiddle and have had violin players, they set up in the living room and take turns keeping the music going, usually around 10 everyone will gather in the living room and it will be standing room only as there may be 25-30 people and my sister will sit on the fireplace hearth and read a morally enhancing story.
And yes some of us, not just me, will make silly remarks or ohh and ahh, it has led to some very fun and memorable times.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:12 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure what qualifies as an "unusual tradition" so I don't know if this counts, but a few years ago Wally and I decided that we should be helping others on Christmas day.

We volunteer at the Red Cross on their biggest day of the year...feeding the homeless and the needy in our community on Christmas Day. I usually help to organize clothes and toys that have been donated, then aid in the food line. Wally is on the home delivery crew to make sure those who are house-bound can enjoy a Christmas dinner at their own home.

We start early and stay late. We are totally exhausted when we get home, but there is no other day in the year like this one. If you could see the faces of little children, the elderly, and so many others who are grateful to the Red Cross for making this day special for them, it would warm your heart too.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:02 pm 

Patrish and Wally putting us all to shame...... fellowship with all is one of the true "reasons for the season".

In the memorable words of a past Maryland spokesman... "'God bless y'all, real good."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:36 pm 

We used to watch lots of Christmas movies but our favorite of all time was " McGoo's Christmas Carole". Absolutely love that one. Wish it was still on tv at Christmas time. Kids would love it too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:27 pm 

I'm 37 and still spend the night in my childhood bedroom at my parent's on Christmas Eve...have every year of my life. And Santa still doesn't bring the presents out underneath the Christmas tree until I'm fast asleep! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:47 pm 

Ha ha. Santa is real. He isn't black white red or yellow. He is the spirit of Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk