Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

CONCLUSION
People who say "Pop" are much, much cooler.

Um....I don't think so! LOL!
Draw your OWN conclusions!

http://popvssoda.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:56 pm 

True story:

Where I'm from in Pennsylvania, it's called "pop" - but it's a rather regional thing there, as just over the mountain it's called "soda".

When I was a senior in high school, we had no classes on what was the first actually warm spring day after a harsh winter. I fired up my motorcycle and decided to visit a small coal-mining town over the mountain I lived in for a couple years when I was about 9-11 years old.

After driving around seeing what had changed, etc, I decided to stop in one of the small family-run "corner" stores for something to drink. This was Charles Bronson's (real last name "Buchinsky") home area (his family had a similar small store run by Charle's older brother George Buchinsky, by the way) - the typical stereotype of a building where the store was actually a front or 1st floor of their home.

So I walk in the store - they didn't have school that day either - and a young boy about 12 years old is behind the counter running the place. I'm thirsty, soft drinks back then were in glass bottles kept in those horizontal "maze-type" open-top coolers where you had to slide your choice through openings to a release point, I didn't know where anything was in the store - so I asked the kid "Where's your pop"?

The kid points to a side room just off their meat counter.

I go in...

...and there sits a short, balding guy in a "wife beater" t-shirt, with glasses down at the end of nose, reading a newspaper, smoking a cigar out the corner of his mouth. He sees me enter, bends his head back to look at me straight through his glasses, and asks me (while clenching the cigar with his teeth): "Can I help ya, Sonny"?

I quickly apologized and made a quick exit from that room - and then re-approached the young kid at the counter and asked him "Uh, where is your SODA".

Yep, those type of businesses were indeed also called "Mom and POP" stores...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:23 pm 

lol That was my chuckle for the day!! To funny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:51 am 

I’m a “pop” guy, always have been and always will be. The only time I typically use the word soda is if I am ordering a “Cream Soda”. I know it is typically a regional thing but I have also found (maybe it is because I’m on the pop side) that “soda” people get a lot more fired up on their stances than pop or coke people. If someone asks me for a soda, I don’t pretend not to know what they are talking about as I find a lot of “soda” people do to “pop” people. Chances are, these days, people know what you mean no matter if you ask for pop or soda but in soda-centric areas will pretend to not have a clue just to “get their way” so to speak.

Now, the whole coke thing just confuses me. I will tend to ask for a coke when referring to cola (Pepsi, RC, etc…) but not for other types, such as Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper. I never even knew people used that term until working in a grocery store and had someone asked for a coke. I took them to the cooler where our Coca-Cola resided. He said that wasn’t the kind of coke he wanted. I told him that was the only kind of coke we had. He later came up to me before leaving and showed me a Mt. Dew and said that was the kind of coke he was looking for. I was like, “OK buddy” :roll: (thinking he was a little crazy) and went on with my day. It was years later that I found out that people refer to all types of pop as coke before this made sense.

On a similar but somewhat related note, does anyone know of any other products that incite such a disagreement about or any other products so synonymous with brand name that it is just as acceptable to ask for a specific brand name as for the type of product? The only other one that I can think of would be asking for a Kleenex instead of for a tissue.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:23 pm 

Trabba wrote:
...On a similar but somewhat related note, does anyone know of any other products that incite such a disagreement about or any other products so synonymous with brand name that it is just as acceptable to ask for a specific brand name as for the type of product? The only other one that I can think of would be asking for a Kleenex instead of for a tissue.

Not exactly what you are asking about - but that reminded me we could have an entirely similar discussion to this one if we got into the whole "Hoagie" versus "Sub" versus "Torpedo" versus Grinder", etc, etc bit...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:29 pm 

I'm from the area of PA where we call that fizzy beverage a "soda". I thought everyone here did until one day I walked into a little "mom and pop" store and asked where their soda was. They sent me to the aisle with the baking soda!! :roll:

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:32 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

JoAnn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:58 pm 

I remember having this "discussion" with my cousins from Louisville, who were the "pop" folks. Being from New England, everything was a "Coke", even if you wanted a Sprite/whatever.

Crazy.... now I ask for a "soft drink".... Political Correctness run amock. Guess I'm getting old/lazy and generally senile :smash[1]: