Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Over the years that our forum has been online, South of the Boarder has been an off and on topic. It is now 60 years old.

Here's a story from 12/19/09 from WBTV Channel 13, http://www.scnow.com
Staff writer Samantha Shepard can be reached at (843) 317-7261. Comment on this story at http://www.scnow.com.

Since its start 60 years ago, South of the Border has seen it all.
The place started as a beer distributor in 1949. Alan Schafer’s family business thrived as people traveled from dry counties in North Carolina to fill up on alcohol. The name and Mexican theme came out of its location, just south of the North Carolina border.
With its success, the beer stand evolved into a square-mile-wide self-sufficient community.

The entire story is here:
http://tinyurl.com/ydvm8rc

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm 

Can't wait to see the new reptile park. :lol:

Reminds me of the "snake pits" that were prevalent around here during my youth.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:18 pm 

Wow they stayed around that long, and I have been going there for 40 years. It is different that's for sure, it is run down. Just because there is more competition, you let the place go to heck. I would always stay there on our way down to Myrtle Beach, but now we look for something else if we can't get into MB a day earlier.

Quote:
“People are always in a rush now. They just want to fill up with gas, use the bathroom and get where they’re going,” owner and CEO Ryan Schafer said.

If that is the case then they should update the bathrooms, they are disgusting! The rooms are not bad, they could use an update. The last time my Parents stayed there, the glass door on the shower fell off, they will not stay there again.

In 2008 when we stopped in, it looked like the were going to do some upgrading in the game room area, but that never happened. It still was closed this year when we stopped in early in the morning, and nothing had progressed.

I like stopping in because I have great memories from going there with my Parents when I was young. If they don't start cleaning the place up, they won't be around much longer, IMHO. I'll just have to settle for seeing Pedro as we drive by, instead of stopping in.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:27 pm 

I love Pedro's! lol We stop every time - its impossible to drive by! :mrgreen:

We were down there in May and stopped and were impressed by the appearance - it looked like everything had been freshly painted and some of the stores that hadn't ever been open were then and there was a MB info center that hadn't been there before. I just love the cheesieness of the whole place!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:28 pm 

My husband has driven by it but never stopped. In 2008 on our way to Disney we stopped (for his first visit -- I've been there a bunch of times). I was so excited, but when I saw it from his eyes it seemed so dumpy. I don't care how dumpy it gets, I'm always going to stop. I too love the cheesiness of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:17 am 

We are going to stop in this year for it's 65th, and get some photos. We will be there June 28th as we drive into Myrtle Beach.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:15 pm 

I LOVE SOTB.. I've never stayed there. We always just stop for a gas up/bathroom trip/ walk around the coffee shop, and then we leave. When we stopped last year, it was a good time because we were on our Honeymoon. We took a lot of silly pictures. Good memories! :mrgreen:

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

I remember sometime years back when people were talking about SOTB and discussing how long the souvenirs lasted. It was something like 5 minutes to 5 months,

Ron, I'm glad you are going to stop. That has been a tradition lasting 3 generations. Good memories!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:23 pm 

Another place we have stopped going to over the years. After my younger brother got a little older, and my parents got sick of buying us junk we axed this off the "to do" list. When I was young it was such a great place though, now I look at and think to myself " what was I thinking" haha.