Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Just for fun….who remembers these defunct restaurant chains?

http://definition.org/remember-defunct- ... chains/01/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:03 pm 

I remember quite a few of them. We used to have a Druther's and I remember going down to see the Queenie Bee mascot when it came to town. Building is a DQ now. Also have a Rax still open near me.

Steak and Ale used to be one of my dad's favorite places to eat. Ate at one in Florida a while back. Didn't know they had all closed. Was nice to look back in time at those. Remembered quite a few of them. Thanks, Patrish

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Family road trips growing up always included a stop at Howard Johnson because they featured "28 Ice Cream Flavors." And to me, that was simply amazing!

We had Kenny Rogers, Steak and Ale, Big Boy (although it was Shoney's not Bob) and Ponderosa in Roanoke. Even a few, like Chi-Chi's were here in Myrtle Beach.

Fun trip down memory lane! :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:45 pm 

Funny how some of these made it up to Canada over the years. Kenny Rogers, remember Burger Chef as a kid, Red Barn, all closed now. We still have A&W. Eat there still. Had both Bonanza and Ponderosa but all closed as well BUT there still is a Ponderosa open in Niagara Falls NY. We stop there maybe once a year.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 am 

Quote:
Family road trips growing up always included a stop at Howard Johnson because they featured "28 Ice Cream Flavors." And to me, that was simply amazing!

Same here ! I remember once being disappointed when my father finally relented to my ongoing comments about staying in a Ho Jo's..... and I found out it was just a normal hotel/motel :roll: Guess I was expecting the room to be filled with ice cream ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:03 pm 

Maybe because I am in New York but I have not heard of about 90% of them. I do remember Carroll's though! We still even have a Charlie Brown's about 30 minutes from us! Driving 95 South we always pass buildings that I know were Howard Johnsons just by the shape of the building.

Are there still Stuckey's around?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:34 pm 

college years...worked at Howard Johnson's restaurant and motor lodge...in Moon Twp, PA...near the location of the old Greater Pittsburgh Airport...Everything had to be referred to as HoJo...HoJo cola...HoJo fries, etc...a perk was that we were able to use the motor lodge pool on our days off... :nanner: :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:22 am 
Site Admin

Jo, what fun that must have been as a college job especially since you got to use the pool! :cool: I would have probably eaten myself sick on the cream.

Emmy, I'm really surprised so many of these restaurants were not in NY. Maybe if there had been, they might have stayed around longer.

I have not thought about Stuckey's in ages. It was always THE place to stop on the way to/from FL.

I googled locations and came up with this:
https://www.stuckeys.com/find-a-stuckeys

Also found this: The company at its peak had over 350 locations, which dwindled to fewer than 75 after a decline in the late 1970s under ownership by Pet. It was repurchased by former Congressman W.S. Stuckey, Jr., in 1985. As of May 2015, Stuckey's has over 115 franchise stores in 17 states.[2]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 am 

We did have fun...my friend and I were the youngest working there at the time...those poor older ladies...we really kept them on their toes...we learned a lot about cooking, cleaning, and dealing with the public...I learned there are so many different kinds of restaurant and hotel guests...and to be honest... I try to remember... how hard we worked..I have a great appreciation for these workers who make our dining experiences and overnight accommodation experiences great.

We loved to eat the pies! and then there was "all you can eat fish"...on Wednesdays...

I had forgotten about Stuckey's, as well!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 pm 

I remember many of them! In my hometown, Burger Chef (BBF before) was the only fastfood restaurant that we had in the late 1960's/ early 1970's (unless you count the A&W Drive Inn in St. Albans). I went to a Steak & Ale after prom. Misti worked at Rax in Morgantown when we started dating in college. I do miss the Ponderosa (and the Bonanza) steakhouses in Morgantown. Speaking of Morgantown... our "old" mall had a Lums restaurant when I came to college in 1984. They closed down a couple of years later, and that spot at the mall has NEVER been filled again. On the rare occasions when you can see in the doors, they still have the multicolor booths and tale-tell red awning... it's creepy because it hasn't changed in 30+ years.