Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:15 am 

Hi all!! My kids have recently started playing mini-golf since last summer, and we'd like to go at least once when in MB. I know there are sooo many so I'm looking for opinions on the best ones for younger kids. DD will be 4 1/2 and DS 6 when we go. They'd love cool special effects/decor I'm sure. I'm also thinking something not TOO crowded would be best b/c we tend to move somewhat slowly (we'd let folks play through of course as needed). Thanks for any opinions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 am 

I think almost any mini golf course would fit the bill. Some have "scary" special effects, and some have lots of steps. You kids would be old enough to handle the steps, although some golf courses don't have the greatest handrails and my heart is always in my throat as my younger two navigate some of the steps. As far as the "scary" stuff, you'd have to judge based on your knowledge of your kids.

Jurassic Golf on Business 17 year the MB Airport is great if they like dinosaurs. There's a T-Rex who pops up and roars and carries on every so often, which is fun, but can also be scary.

Cancun Lagoon, just north of Jurassic Golf, is partially inside an air-conditioned pyramid (nice on especially hot days). There's a "thunderstorm" at one point, which can be scary to some kids.

Dragon's Lair at BATB is nice, and you can play two courses or just one. There's a dragon who pops up and roars and spits fire every so often. Again, can be a bit scary, but he's far enough away that it's not really an issue, although if you're in certain places you can feel the heat.

Runaway Bay in Surfside Beach has two courses and is very nice, with a downed airplane in the water, and "island music" playing (Jamaican, reggae, etc.). We enjoyed the music as much as the golf course.

There are many animal-themed courses, as well as pirates (Spyglass, Cap'n Hook, etc.), boats, shipwrecks, etc. I could go on and on, but the ones I listed are some of our favorites. We usually just go for a drive and let our kids decide based on what they see from the road.

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:06 am 

Thank you!!! We're definitely considering Dragon's Lair. We've been to BATB many times, and the kids love seeing that dragon. I don't think they've realized that's a mini-golf place yet, though, LOL! I think they'd really love that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:08 am 

When my kids were younger they liked Professor Hackers Lost Treasure in North Myrtle Beach. You ride a train up to the first hole...fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 am 

When my boys were younger we would try to find a course that wasn't crowded or go during the day, like right at the time it opens. I learned the hard way how frustrating it was to go when it was crowded. First of all it would take Nich 15 shots and he wouldn't quit till he made it, and Zach would get so agitated having to wait behind other people playing or waiting for Nich to finish. It wasn't very fun! One morning I went out to get milk for the boys breakfast and noticed two little kids playing mini golf with their parents and they were the only ones on the course. The next day after breakfast, we went out and had the whole course to ourselves. We played 18 holes and was still on the beach by 10:30am. Now that the boys are older we don't have to do that anymore. I would also suggest this if you have a large group going to play.

Jeff

2000-Compass Cove
2001-Breakers Resort
2003-Compass Cove
2005-Crown Reef
2006-Dayton House
2007-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. NMB
2007-Dayton House
2008-Wyndham's Ocean Blvd. \ Dayton House
2009-Dayton House
2011-Dayton House
2012-Wyndham Towers on the Grove