Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:00 pm 

I just got back from a week at Myrtle. It was great! We played Buccaneer Bay for the first time and enjoyed it. We also played at Tropical Adventure (Calabash), Treasure Island, Hawaiian Rumble, and Mutiny Bay.

I highly recommend playing Tropical Adventure at Calabash. It is a great course that was built in 1975. It is one of the few original courses still existing and, in my opinion, stands right up there with the new courses.

I just found out this year (sadly) that Jungle Golf in North Myrtle Beach was destroyed. I believe a drug store is on the site now. I am wondering if the Myrtle Beach Sun published an article about the course. Or if the Sun EVER does articles on miniature golf courses, for that matter. Do any of you know? Exact publishing dates would be appreciated.

Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:27 pm 
Site Admin

If The Sun News published an article about Jungle Golf, I did not see it. However, I have learned from posting links here that many are not kept online long.
The link to The Sun News is:
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.ocom

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:28 pm 

Chief74 wrote:
I just found out this year (sadly) that Jungle Golf in North Myrtle Beach was destroyed. I believe a drug store is on the site now.

Where was this course located?

There is currently an old, abandoned course right beside Preston's on Hwy 17, its so grown up with weeds you would never know it was a course unless you were right on it-- I found it by satellite pictures.

I think there was another course and mini-park just south of the (now destroyed) Grand Prix, across the highway, but I have no idea what it might have been named.

Post subject: Jungle Golf
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:49 pm 

A CVS is on the site where Jungle Golf was. I believe it is the corner of Kings Highway and Windy Hill Road.

The course you are referring to beside Preston's was called Pelican Point. It was another nice course in its day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:01 am 

Someone educate me.

For the last three years I have been reading posts about how great one course is over another. There must be more to playing than I am doing.

When I play mini golf, I stand next to my ball, swing the club, hit the ball & the ball goes in the hole. The game itself is boring to me.

What am I missing that will make mini golf more challenging & exciting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:06 am 

17S2MBSC wrote:
Someone educate me.

For the last three years I have been reading posts about how great one course is over another. There must be more to playing than I am doing.

When I play mini golf, I stand next to my ball, swing the club, hit the ball & the ball goes in the hole. The game itself is boring to me.

What am I missing that will make mini golf more challenging & exciting?

Funny because I've always wondered the same thing. I honestly find it quite boring myself - about the only reason I do enjoy it is because my kids love it so much and I love seeing them have fun. The only different experience I have than you do is that my ball usually doesn't go in the hole.

Post subject: AMEN
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:45 am 

I would have to concur. I do it because of others, but I find it quite frustrating and would rather have a bee sting.

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:27 pm 

It must be a "guy thing" because all of the posts that I see recommending favorite mini-golf courses are from men. The "I don't get it" posts all seem to be from women.

I think miniature golf is something you either "get," or you don't. My children love it, and for me, that's the best reason to play. If it is not something you enjoy, then I'm not sure what anyone can offer to increase your enjoyment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:06 pm 

I enjoy it, even though I'm really bad at it. It's the thrill of beating my husband on those rare occasions when my game is "On!" Mostly I love it, because I like being out and doing fun activities with my family. My kids love it, even though they just walk around the course dropping their ball in whatever hole suites their fancy. We'll discuss rules later, when they're older.

I've been playing minigolf since I was really young. You'd think I'd have some skills by now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:59 pm 

I enjoy it too. I have such fond memories of mini golfing with my parents, my dad showing me how to stand and swing the club. (He was not a golfer, just a mini golfer, but he was quite good at it.)

I've passed that on to my kids and we have lots of fun as a family playing together. I've never seen such awesome mini golf courses as those in MB. It sure beats the schoolhouse and windmill obstacles I played as a child. Oh, and anybody else remember those nasty round red metal loop-the-loops, and the red metal "ant hills"?

Lakewood RV Resort - August 2007; 7/26/2014-8/2/2014 (in a rental unit)
Dayton House - December 2007
Dunes Village - 12/27/08-01/03/09
Oceanside Village - June 2016

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:19 am 

I think it is a really fun game. I like how each hole is different, so that makes it harder for you to know how hard and it what direction to hit the ball to try to make it go into the hole. Also, I like how the props add an interesting atmosphere, unlike real golf (which I do consider boring) where you have just grass and trees everywhere. Also real golf takes too long, but miniature golf takes 30 minutes to an hour...more bang for the buck.

One bad thing is that a lot of cookie cutter courses are now being built, so it is hard to tell the difference between courses. Maybe that is why a person would think it is boring. There are some unique aspects to some of the courses, if you look hard enough.

I miss the days of the fiberglass props on courses. You don't see too many of them anymore.

Joseph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:23 am 

I think you hit it right on w/ cookie cutter. I've heard there are a few courses that are designed differently, I'll have to try them out. Think I'll start w/ the one most recently posted about where you stand on one leg or hit the ball blindfolded or something like that.