Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just a thought
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:05 am 

Hey Y'all,

It has been said a few times to posters that "I would not stay there, that place is a dump, there's much better places to stay, etc"

Have you thought about the folks that do stay at those places, and there are a lot of them as these places do have no vacancy signs turned on.

Have you thought about how they may feel when you make these comments, is it possible that they found this site, FunBeaches, and after reading won't post or become active members because they feel like they are not good enough as they can't afford to stay in the best places.

I see and hear of families that come and stay at the finest resorts and hardly ever go out to eat as they spent so much money on their accommodations and those that stay in the "budget" places are going out to dine each night.

Please remember that everyone that comes on a beach vacation does not have to stay oceanfront, there are huge savings to renting a condo a block and even more savings 2 blocks off the beach, making for a quick walk to the beach an evening stroll on the beach and the hundreds and in some cases thousand/s dollar savings can be used for dining, shopping and gifts.

Just looking throught the eyes of others

Enjoy the weekend, I'm off to the beach soon, it's hot and going to be hotter

Gary

Post subject: Re: Just a thought
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:58 pm 

Gary,

I do agree that we should be very selective in how we word our post. I would never want to hurt someone's feelings. However, if a resort or hotel is nasty or provides terrible service I want to know about it. Of course we all have different expectations and opinions. I think the majority of us know when someone is being snotty and when someone is trying to provide quality information for us here on the board.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:05 pm 
Site Admin

Gary, I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes we have to be honest. If I'm treated poorly or I have a bad experience with a business, I'm going to let members know. That's not to say others should not patronize that business, but it does alert anyone new that things are not always fuzzy and cute on the Grand Strand. If someone doesn't like the same places I do, so be it. If someone is bothered by a post, they can always contact me, and I can make a decision whether to keep it or not. If I'm correct, isn't one of your favorite lines "just trying to keep it real" :pimp:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry, Gary, but I disagree.

I've always said that our message board is the only one - at least of any size - in the Grand Strand where people can say what they think and not worry about getting their message altered because they were trying to be honest.

I don't have to answer to any paying advertiser, so if a member wants to, say, let us know that the The No Tell Motel has cockroaches, that's ok with me. The worst that could happen is that the google bot sees it and places an ad for the No Tell Motel (or cockroach poison) on that page. Same thing for restaurant reviews.

We all know that opinions are just that. What one person likes, another doesn't. It always pays to keep an open mind when you read a review. But honest reviews give this board an edge over the others - honesty and credibility. I want to keep it that way.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:17 pm 

Honest info, that's what is great about this board. Honest reviews from people who are not looking to gain anything from it. Thanks Patrish & Ron for keeping it real :notworthy:

2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 - Myrtle Beach Resort
2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 - Compass Cove
2010 - Coral Beach
2011 - The Ashworth & Windsurfer
2012 - The Ashworth
2013 - The Ashworth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:59 pm 

I agree! Just real people keeping it real. Our MB vacation has come and gone but I still find myself here enjoying all the posts, getting all kinds of info for any future trips. I take the good and the bad and see what works for us. We all know what works for one may not be right for all. Thanks for keeping this board real!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:07 am 
Site Admin

Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 am 

As I said, it was just a thought, and knowing how peoples opinions, thoughts and reactions can be so varied, I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Y'all stay well and smile

Gary

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing:
the last of the human freedoms — to choose one's
attitude in any given set of circumstances, to
choose one's own way."
-Viktor Frankl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:04 pm 

Honesty, we should tell them straight up good or bad
as today money is hard to come by and to lose it on
a bad vacation is a shame, I think everyone who reads
a bad report and goes there knows what to expect as they
were told before going and Honesty goes a long long
way here.... :ac15[1]:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:16 pm 

We need to be kind...we need to be respectful...and we need to be honest about our experiences...that is what makes this board special...we can vent and we can praise!

JoAnn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Quote JoAnn:
"we can vent and we can praise!"
And if "we" vent with rudeness, Ron has no problem hitting the delete button! LOL! :beerchug:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:58 pm 

If posted in the blanket context of "that place is a dump", I agree.. no reason for a post like that... however, if it said "that place is a dump, and I'll tell you why... the rooms were very unclean, stained carpets, dirty sheets, etc..." than PLEASE post it!

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 pm 
Forum Support

I can kinda see Gary's point, but I think we are all honest folks here. We have no agendas (at least I hope!), we just want everyone that goes to MB to have a good time.

I read Trip Advisor just like everyone else. I've stayed at places that people have said are dumps. Guess what? It was a decent place. Just dated and worn. People embellish and exaggerate things. They may find one ant and suddenly it turns into, the place has thousands of ants.

The great thing about this place is we are honest. People can come here and ask WHY we thought it was a terrible stay if they want. Most of the time you don't, because people gave a detailed summary. Plus chances are there are more then one person who has stayed at the place you want to go posting here. So you can compare their thoughts and make a decision for yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:17 pm 

I really respect the opinion of everyone here. I have found that they are honest and not exaggerating as I've found with other sites. :sunny:

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2008
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2012
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2013

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:59 pm 

I see Gary's point and if this were TripAdvisor, I'd say eliminate the really awful reviews with the "it's a craphole" and eliminate the really stellar reviews "it's the Taj Mahal, all other places stink" because in many statistical analyses you eliminate the polar opposites and go for the mean. However, on this board I think most (or many) folks will explain their comments with follow up. If I panned a restaurant, I'll definitely give 40 reasons why and not just "it stunk." Honesty is always the best policy, but it can be tempered with evidence and politeness and that's usually the status quo on this board. I know some folks (especially newbies) would head for the hills when reading a negative post, but each persons expectations are going to be different and fulfilled in a different manner, so hopefully one takes that into consideration. :sunny:

SeaWatch Resort 2010
Monterey Bay 2007
Dayton House 2005
Crown Reef Resort 1998
Palace Resort 1997
Bluewater resort 1994