Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:11 pm 

Just thought I'd share a Myrtle Beach trip report here at Fun Beaches.

My wife and I left Western PA on Friday August 3. We travel down a back way to avoid the DC traffic. For the last several years we have stopped in Warrenton, VA for lunch at the Longhorn Steakhouse. We did so again this year, with the same good results as previous trips (we both enjoyed the salmon). After lunch we eventually merged onto I95 in Fredericksburg and traveled to Dunn, NC for our overnight stop at the Hampton Inn. Hampton Inns have been our preferred hotel for overnights for years. Across the parking lot there is a small chain steakhouse called Sagebrush. They have very good service, reasonable prices and good steaks. A very good and convenient place for dinner after a day of driving.

We got up early the next morning, enjoyed the free breakfast and got on the road before 7 AM. Every year we stay at A Place at the Beach III on Shore Dr. Over the years we have gotten to know the cleaning and maintenance people and generally we can get into our condo early and basically enjoy an "exrtra" day at the beach. We arrived before 10AM and were on the beach by 10:30. Saturday is my favorite beach day as the crowds (that really aren't bad where we stay) are non-existent. We rented beach chairs for the week, took a couple of walks up and down the beach and relaxed until early afternoon, when some rain came in.

We went inside and waited it out for a bit. It wasn't long until the rain stopped and we were back on the beach. That was the only rain we had during our trip. Around 3:30 we went back inside to get cleaned up and wait for our grocery delivery from Simply Groceries. It's the second year we have used the service and for $10 it certainly beats trying to go to the store on your first day in Myrtle Beach. I will never again go to the grocery store on Saturday or Sunday while we are on vacation in Myrtle Beach!

Our usual Saturday night dinner consists of visiting Original Benjamins. When we arrived early (around 4:30) the parking lot was packed and there were buses pulled up to the door so we decided to try Captain George's Buffet that's down near Broadway at the Beach. I've read in numerous places that it's as good or better than Benjamins. Don't believe what you read! The difference is not even close. We were so disappointed that we decided to go back to Benjamins before we left for home. Captain George's didn't have the same selection. Nothing tasted as good (not even the hush puppies). Everything was way too salty. Maybe others have had better experiences at Captain George's, we won't be back.

We ended our first night with some mini-golf at Aloha Mini Golf on Lake Arrowhead Road (it's close to our condo). It's nothing spectacular but it's a good place to mini golf. After golf we went back to the condo to wait for our daughter and her family. They didn't arrive until after 11 PM. We got them settled in and called it a night.

I will continue soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:49 pm 

Rather than go day by day for the rest of the report, let's just say that every morning until mid afternoon we spent moving between the beach and one of the condo's pools. My wife normally has "enough" by 2:00 - 2:30. we retreat to the condo and get reaady for an early dinner (mainly to beat the crowds).

Over the years we have acquired quite a few favorite restaurants. Unfortunately, our favorite, Rossi's is not open (they are looking for a new location). We ate dinner at:

Chesapeake House - my wife and I both had a broiled seafood platter. I very much enjoyed mine, my wife said hers was good, but next time she would probably order it grilled.

Greg Norman's - I had prime rid that was OK and my wife had a steak that she very much enjoyed. We both had peanut butter cheesecake for dessert.

Chuck's Steakhouse - One of my favorite places. Great steaks, perfectly prepared. Nice salad bar. And I even have to compliment the baked potato. One of the best meals we have every year.

Original Benjamin's - As mentioned in my previous post, my wife really wanted to go here after being disappointed at Captain George's. She tries a wide variety of items. I stick with crab legs and peel and eat shrimp. It's always consistent. If you like crab legs, I would highly recommend Benjamin's.

We also went out for breakfast twice. Once to Blueberry's Grille. Excellent! We both had some type of a salmon omelet. If you're looking for a breakfast place, this is it! We also went to Hot Stacks Pancakes on Route 17 right near Lake Arrowhead road. Good pancakes and good food in general. It's just not Blueberry's Grille.

On another evening I took my 5 year-old granddaughter to Pirates Voyage. It took her a little while to warm up to the place (she wasn't sure what to make of the pre-show). But once the main show started she was hooked! She liked the story and the acts and even ate most of her dinner. The food, while not 5 star, is well prepared and you won't leave hungry. If you have never been to Pirates Voyage, it's well worth a visit.

Speaking of well worth a visit. In all of our years of visiting Myrtle Beach my wife and I have never been to Legends. Well this year we went and we both came away impressed. Five different acts, Jimmy Buffet, Shania Twain, the Blues Brothers, Michael Jackson and Elvis. They each did some really nice things. Overall it's something we would definitely do again (most likely we would want to see a few different performers).

In addition to Pirates Voyage and Legends we did our regular trips to Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing. My granddaughter enjoyed the rides at both places. There were many more rides at Broadway, but she seemed to like the bungee jump at Barefoot the best.

I hope I gave you a good taste of what we did and what we enjoyed. We have already decided on our dates for next year. So we will be back. We hope that Rossi's has a new location and we hope that the Pelicans have a home game that we can go to. This year they were out of town all week until Friday but we had to leave Friday morning. If you're a baseball fan and you've never attended a Pelicans game, I would strongly suggest you put it on your to-do list.

Happy vacationing!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so much for this fantastic review! You ate at some of or favorite restaurants!

I remember several years ago when Pirate Voyage toned themselves down due to parent complaints. It worked, as shown by your granddaughter!

You mentioned Blueberry's so I am about to post the pre-opening I attended in Bareoot Landing on the 19th.

Thanks again! Great vacation review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:19 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. It sounded like our type of holiday. Making family memories can’t be beat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:23 am 

Great report. We vacation much the same way. Beach and early dinner and repeat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 pm 

Thank you! Really enjoyed your trip report! Our grandkids...really loved Pirate's Voyage" last summer, as well!
We were in Surfside the same week...after the rain on Saturday...the weather was fabulous!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:19 am 

Great trip report! Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:22 am 

I too take the backway to avoid DC traffic...usually 81s,83s, 15s to 29, 17s onto 95 at Fredericksburg va. This year I even hopped off 95 at Wilson and went east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 pm 

Thanks .. usually what we do too. The beach and eat and shop. Went to Legends many years ago and it was a great show.