Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:06 pm 

I am so sorry for the delay of a trip report. Post MB depression has apparently took over and I just can't seem to get a whole lot accomplished since we got back. Hopefully I can remember the key details on what we did.

Saturday July 14th
We didn't pull out until 4:30 which is 30 minutes later than normal and is way out of character for us on the MB trip. As I alluded to in the "When will we be there" forum, nothing at all went right for the week, so why would I expect departure to be any different? Anyway, I pulled out of the driveway on less than three hours sleep, but we were finally on the road. Left out early enough to miss the traffic backup that always happens on the I-40 exit to get on to I-26 .Some in our group didn't leave until 7:30 and got caught in a pretty good delay there. Nobody had asked for a bathroom break yet so we made plans to stop at the South Carolina welcome center. Just makes it a little better when making that first stop on South Carolina soil. A mini accomplishment whenever you make it to a destination state. I told the wife that I didn't feel safe pushing it any farther without a few minutes of sleep, so I took a 30 minute nap before we journeyed on. Had to detour around a wreck on I-20 (that's what happens when you leave 30 minutes late and take a 30 minute nap on the way). Rest of ride was pretty good and we pulled into Surfside shortly after noon.
--`
Had lunch at Bubba's Fish Shack. Hadn't been there in years and got to sit out on the patio and enjoy the ocean breeze and take in the unique smell of the coast. Food was good and we was in our happy place for the first time in over a year. After lunch the kids walked down to the water and the wife and I walked out on what is left of the Surfside Pier. I looked on their website and it says that the pier is going to be rebuilt in the very near future which will be good. The rest of our party, and most important since they had to check into the condo, had one of those famous 10 hour drives to the beach., Not too bad except it's only about a 7 or 7.5 hour trip. That's why we leave super early, but they don't seem to listen. With time to kill we decided to head down to Murrell's Inlet to walk the Marsh Walk. A little too hot, but we had time to kill and I didn't want to be anywhere north of 544 and deal with traffic coming into the beach. The rest of the family finally arrived a little after 6 p.m and we got a much needed break at the condo. Had Dominoes for dinner and called it an early night.

A week at the beach awaits.

more later.........

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:26 am 
Site Admin

>…so I took a 30 minute nap before we journeyed on.

I can’t do that. Whenever I try, my brain refuses to cooperate, and I just lie still thinking about all the things I should be doing. Wally, however, is good at power naps like you! I’ve always been envious of that.

Glad you made it to Bubba’s for dinner, and look forward to hearing about the rest of your vacation!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:16 pm 

Can't wait to hear more. Hopefully things weren't too awry for you!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & Finally 2019!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:13 pm 

I'm dragging this trip report out for some reason. Lol. Can't get over the post trip depression. :cry:

Sunday July 15

Nothing like the first "toes in the sand" day. Found a couple of 9.0% IPAs at the Piggly Wiggly which combined with sunshine made for an awesome day. The ocean still had it's same WOW after all these years.

Spent a little more time than normal at the ocean for us. Our days usually consist of beach and out for an early meal. Today we picked Fuddruckers so a little extra time wasn't the difference between a 10 minute wait or a two hour wait. Typical Fuddruckers food that you get at all of them is the best that I can explain it. Good burger and it's where one of my daughters wanted to go, so it was fine. Since we were on that end of the strand a trip to Broadway only made sense. The little one wanted to go to the dinosaur adventure but it was closed. She then spotted the aquarium and took that as a consolation. Not good for me since it cost more but we ended up really enjoying it. Don't know if it's usually like this but on this night 8 p.m at the aquarium on a Sunday night was a great time to go. Literally probably not 40 people in the whole place. After that back to the room.

More later..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:25 pm 
Site Admin

The Ripley's Aquarium is a great choice. Too bad it has gotten so expensive. Not long ago we took daughter, son-in-law and their 2 little boys, ages 2 and and 4. Even with local discount for us, it was still over $100. But that said, we are lucky to have that aquarium here.

We lived in Myrtle Beach several years before we got the the aquarium in Charleston. I expected GREAT THINGS.....with a name like "The Aquarium of South Carolina" wouldn't you? Well, we both agreed that our Myrtle Beach aquarium was better. Smaller, yes...but so much more to see including the shark tunnel.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:34 pm 

patrish wrote:
The Ripley's Aquarium is a great choice. Too bad it has gotten so expensive. Not long ago we took daughter, son-in-law and their 2 little boys, ages 2 and and 4. Even with local discount for us, it was still over $100. But that said, we are lucky to have that aquarium here.

We lived in Myrtle Beach several years before we got the the aquarium in Charleston. I expected GREAT THINGS.....with a name like "The Aquarium of South Carolina" wouldn't you? Well, we both agreed that our Myrtle Beach aquarium was better. Smaller, yes...but so much more to see including the shark tunnel.

I think all the aquariums are expensive. Even the zoos have raised the prices quite a bit over the last decade. Also ended the free reciprocal that they had with most other zoos.

Newport Kentucky has a nice one right across the river from Cincinnati. It's was pretty expensive too the last time I looked. The Atlanta aquarium is the one on my bucket list.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:14 pm 

Enjoying your report. It's so hard to pull them together when you get home.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:37 am 

Day 3 Monday July 16

Same routine for us. Early trip to the beach (10:00 is early for us) and back in for a cleanup and early dinner. Weather was pretty good once again, which is good since we had one of those 7 days of rain one week out forecast. Monday is the day we look forward to at the beach because it's our favorite meal. BOGO 1/2 off at Driftwoods. The place is located in a strip mall on 707, but it's no secret that it's there anymore. We arrived there around 5 and got a table, but by the time we had left there was a large number of people waiting outside. I always get the five item Captians Platter and once again it didn't disappoint. Complimentary hush puppies and some king of fish dip that they have was also super. I also had a cup of she crab soup that was very good. Wife had a Filet and kids had their normal non-seafood items. Eighty dollars to feed a large family is a great deal. The same seafood platter on the inlet would cost around $35 and it's $21 at Driftwoods. Can't beat that kind of deal. A return trip will definitely be made.

After eating the women took off to the Tanger on 501 and I went back to the room and took the little one to the water park at the condo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:54 am 

Day 4 Tuesday July 17

We decided to use the water park today instead of tracking over to the beach. I hate to skip a beach day but the forecast had some showers coming in after lunch and the kids like to at least spend one day at the park. My parents decided to go over to the beach for the day and I'm glad we didn't join them. We got all the time we wanted in at the water park and decided to go in before it rained. My parents on the other hand didn't exit the beach in time and got caught in a monsoon type storm that absolutely soaked them. They said it was so bad that younger couples felt sorry for them and was helping load their chairs and umbrella in the car. Not a dry bone on them when they come back in.

We decided to take the little one to watch Hotel Transylvania at the movies and eat at Maggie D's since it's right across the street from the theater at Coastal Grand. Food was once again excellent. (Disclaimer- you can read last year's trip report and get same food reports and activities. We have that kind of routine at the beach). We got lucky and Tuesday is discount movie night at Coastal. Didn't know that going in but tickets were under 6 bucks and you get recliner seating which is why I like Coastal. Others may be the same, but I've not been elsewhere in a few years. Nice to kick your feet up and watch the big screen. After the movie the rain finally stopped and we went to The Ole Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor for the BOGO get one scoop deal on Tuesdays. Called it a night after that..

More to come....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:33 pm 

Day 5 Wednesday July 18

Krispy Kreme breakfast and back to the beach. This is the point of the trip when it really starts turning from the Yeah!!! were at the beach, to we better soak in all the memories because this thing is coming to an end. Spent more time at the beach today than any other day of the week. Sipped on a few more 9.0 IPA's and just enjoyed the moment. Watching the kids play in the sand and water, people watching, taking in the rays. Can't beat just a day of "nothing".

Another fun food night at our annual trip to Prosser's. Love the place and the food was once again superb, but I always walk out of the place absolutely stuffed. Truthfully a little too much for my liking and one of the reasons I try to stay away from the buffet scene. I ate mostly Fried chicken, fried oysters, and fried shrimp. My boy was disappointed that they didn't have dumplings on the bar like they usually do, so for him it was pretty much just a couple of plates of Mac and Cheese for 14.95. That's not a very good bargain.

We have learned in year's past that beach pictures need to be planned out based on the wind for the evening. Wednesday was by far the winner of the least windy day left, so after dinner we headed back to the room to change into our picture clothes and head over to the beach. The wind played nice and we got some quality pics this year. Didn't do anything but head back to the room after the pics. As I alluded to earlier, I personally didn't drive any farther north than BATB during the whole trip. Not even sure how that happened.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:45 pm 

Thursday July 19

Could this really be happening. This could very well be the last beach day of the trip if the forecast is true. 100% chance of rain on Friday. Bummer.. Better make the most of it and treat it like the last day. Beach and food was the theme once again. Plans were for a good beach day and to try a new place to eat later on. I had heard good things from Gary on here about the best place for a burger being at Greg's Cabana. A little place on the side of the road next to the Walmart in Garden City. Had driven by the place for years and thought of it nothing more than a bar on the side of the road. Had did a lot of research on it before I went and with the help of a forum member I had finally found out it was kid friendly enough to drop in. People had raved about their burger and ribs and Thursday is their $11.99 rack of ribs night. Wasn't disappointed in the meal at all and it will be added to our annual list.

After eating we headed down to a packed Ole Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor for the 1/2 off banana splits. Waited in a long line, but they were superb. Back to the room after that. Did I mention that we really did nothing besides beach and eat this trip?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:02 pm 

Friday July 20

Due to the weather we decided to make Friday our last day at the beach. Rain and more Rain was the theme of the day. Woke up and it was raining and pulled in at the house and it was raining. Ughhhh... It literally rained so hard that the only thing we could do was to pack up and go home. We use a cargo carrier on top and I never thought it would slack down enough to load the thing. Just a miserable day all the way around. Packed up the suitcases, but just could never find a break to load the top. Went over to the Bar-b-cue house to eat lunch and hoped it would calm down enough to pack up and leave, but it was raining even harder by the time we got back. Finally just had to bite the bullet and load the thing in the rain. Was hoping to leave the condo before 1:30, but probably didn't get out until after 3. Just wouldn't stop raining to let us do what we needed to.

Went over to the Tanger on 501 since it was on the way out. I think everyone on vacation decided to go to Tanger because of the rain. We usually do this on the Friday when we leave and it's a ghost town, but today it was absolutely packed. Found some pretty good deals on Polo shirts that I can wear to work. Last year I couldn't find any but this year I hit the jackpot. I'm the type of shopper that goes out and gets what I need and that's it. None of this "let's go in here and look". Either I need it or I don't. Since the wife is just the opposite we let her shop while the boy and I went over to the gas station next door to fill up the SUV for the trip home. First time I had put fuel in the car since exiting I-95 on the way in. That is the first time in all of my trips that I hadn't put gas in the car while in MB (this was technically Conway). Did I mention that we really didn't do a whole lot?

After shopping went over to Chick fil A across the street. Also noticed one of those red signs that says HOT right next door. Why not? A dozen Krispy Kremes to eat on the way home.

The trip home was an adventure. SUV check engine light started blinking just before Columbia. A blinking check engine light is more serious than just the light coming on. A pretty bad miss when going up hills and we were heading toward Asheville. Tried to stop at a Auto Zone in Columbia but they closed at 9:00 and it was 9:03. Needed the engine code read. Maybe the Walmart next door had one? Nope, when did Walmart quit selling car code readers? I had an extra part in the back of the car that might fix it, but without a code reader it was a 1 of 8 chance that I changed the part that needed fixed. After an hour killed we finally just got back on the road and headed toward Kentucky. Made it back okay, but the dang thing still is not running right. Ordered the part I think I need twice on ebay, but both times the seller has sent the wrong item. Just send me whats in the picture and description in the auction....

Oh well, the trip ended just like it started. Maybe 2019 will have a better beginning and ending. Outside of that we had a great time.

Finally completed this thing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

>...Finally completed this thing.

:cool: :lol: :drinkin:

LOL! Yes...finally finished and what a wonderful trip report it was. I read every line! THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm 

I also followed along. Too bad you had to leave early.:( It sounded like a nice time. Thanks for taking the time to share.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:25 pm 

Glad you made it home safely. Hope your auto pains end soon & you are back @ the beach writing a new trip report.