Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:06 am 

Friday 5/17
After spending money getting Jeep ready for another beach trip...
We packed the truck..The short weekend trip last month is still fresh in our minds. Not that that was a bad trip. Just want this one to be as comfortable and hassle free as possible...
Hit the road 7:00am. Rain on and off. Some spots we were down under 50mph...
Wipers were bad last trip....Still bad this trip.....All I'll say about that.....
Check in for the week is on Sunday...Booked two nights at Peppertree Ocean Club....For those who haven't heard my rants about "vacation/travel clubs". This is where we signed our first papers 17 years ago....Mixed emotions staying here again....
Hit NMB 3:00...Checked in and walking on beach by 3:30...Gray, dreary overcast..Some sprinkles but breeze actually dried the spots so never really got wet...Tide was out. ....Couple shark teeth and shells we headed in...
Walked up the street to Basil's for our traditional " haven't been to store yet" dinner.
Flounder's Seafood went in next door a few years ago. Never ate there. Never heard any great reviews. Looks closed.
Watched the bikes go by. Hispanic Bike Week in Cherry Grove. Little disturbing how many stopped at liquor store.
Back to Peppertree and another walk on beach. More shells in an hour than I've found last several trips combined. Tide halfway in....Ankle deep water found some large shells.. Olives. In the piles of small stuff the spirals were everywhere.
Bit chilly when sun went down.
Forecast for Saturday isn't looking good.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:42 pm 
Site Admin

How long will you be here? We will be in Asheville, NC until the 24th. Maybe we can see you if you're here that long. Call me. 843-215-7338.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:04 pm 

Saturday
One of the worst, if not the worst beach days ever. Weather guys were right on the money. 90-100% rain allllllll day.
Thought just to get out we'd run out to WalMart for wiper blades and supplies but....
Just sat in the condo. She had a tv. I had a tv. I tried to read but was so dang depressing I didn't make it through one paragraph.
Don't think I watched a whole episode of anything. Commercial free movies I'd doze off. Shows with commercials I'd channel surf through commercial and never make it back to the show.
Early evening the snacks and stuff we'd hauled from home were running low. No matter what. Had to go out. By this time the rain had stopped.
The usual "What do you want?"
"You decide"
This went on from Cherry Grove to Main Street Ocean Drive. Decided on River Cities at Barefoot..
For a few seconds.
Sitting at light at Main and RT17. Looked to left. New place. Been there last few trips.
Burger Fi. Enough cars in lot to get our attention. "Oh why not....?"
Hard to describe. FiveGuys/sportsbar/ yuppie California health food joint.
Not sure if they had mixed drinks but over to one side was a six stool bar with guys drinking beer watching hockey.
Maybe eight burgers on menu. And three styles of hot dogs.
Burger prices range from $5+to $8+.
Two are veggie burgers. Not a lot of toppings unless you order them extra and I think added cost.
I went with a huge "new to menu" burger. Just under $9.
"There's no meat."
"What? You're out of meat?"
"No. There's no meat in that burger..."
I enjoy veggie burgers on occasion. But $9 for I have no idea what I'm getting.. No way.
Went with $5 cheese burger. Few fixin's.
She had Texas hotdog.
Burger very small. Hot dog was terrible. Onion rings were good. Even the ones on the bottom with peanut oil dripping off of them. Not worth the price.
Did look around room at some of the other trays. Couple 6" tall triple monster burgers. I guess the higher priced burgers "might" be worth the price.
We have no plans to go back and find out...
Stopped at Boulineau's for snacks. Quick in and out. In parking lot we saw the biggest rainbow ever. Full arch from up by the inlet down to Sea Mountain. Couldn't get picture of whole thing. So I videoed. From one end to other with big red Boulineau's sign at the end. Did it twice just to be sure..
Went to post it... No video... Phone battery dead....
Grabbed Ruann's phone. By this time sun was down and no rainbow.
Back in and turned in. Rain was over but breeze too chilly for a walk.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:10 am 

Sunday
Things looking much better. Out looking for shells at 7:00.
8:30 packing up to move up the street to Towers.
First things first. Breakfast at Golden Griddle.
10:00 we did early check in at Towers. No room yet but access to facilities while we waited.
Chairs on the beach at 11:00. Bit of a misjudgment. Out of sunscreen. You'd think we'd know by now. Guess we really expected to be in room faster than we were.
2:30. Ooooops. Tad bit pink by the time we were in room. Could have been worse.
Unpacked truck and settled in.
Headed out around 4:00 for grocery run. Decided to eat first to avoid the shopping on empty stomach deal...
Out to RT 17. Once again where and what to eat was a toss up.
Again sitting at light. Mile north of Main. Seabrook maybe. Place on corner with odd name.
amaZing kitchen.
Tacoz, Pinniz, subz, saladz, etc.....
Here we go again. Let's give it a try.
Glad we did. Menu covered all possibilities.
Asian, Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean.....
She had spaghetti. I had shrimp stir fry.
$20.....Already thinking we'll be going back before end of week.
Researched the name. It's actually
Z's Amazing Kitchen.
If in NMB. Give em a try.
Shopped at WalMart. Along with groceries we need chairs. Ours have been falling apart for last couple trips. We've checked several beach shops last few trips. WalMart had best deal.
Back to Towers. Low tide. More shells. Hit hot tub.
Lathering on the aloe before turning in.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:50 am 

Glad to hear about Z's Amazing Kitchen! We were going to stop there about 5 times and never did. It's on our list for sure now! The best meal of our trip last week was Boulineau's! Seriously! We had the two piece white meat fried chicken (so good), mashed potatoes, collards, biscuit, and sweet tea for $7.50 :hello: :hello:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:12 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Sunday
Things looking much better.

Thank goodness. Hope today is a better weather day for you!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:34 pm 

Thanks for the report. Hoping for good weather for you all. It's been raining for a couple of weeks here. Hoping for much better for your vacation.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:17 pm 

Monday:
Up little after sunrise. Out on beach for short stroll. Need to just take long walk but once I stop to look for teeth and shells..
It's a stroll..
Out longer than I planned. Heading back in she was on her way out with chair and bag.
Quick breakfast and I joined her. T-shirt, sun screen and careful which way I faced I protected my already burnt areas. Came in at noon.
Lunch and then headed for trivia games in the lobby at 2:00. Other couples there. 2:05 gal behind counter asked why we were there. She called and said activities people were on their way. 2:15 still nobody so we left. Later we talked to one of the other couples. It had been cancelled. They were busy doing something else.
Typical Wyndham experience.....
Finished the day around pool and hot tub. Out of the sun.
Miscommunication. Eating in. Eating out. I thought in. She thought out. I waited in one room for her to get ready. She comes in. She ate left overs. We weren't going out..
After sun down I felt chilled. Sunburn was worse than I thought.
Spent the evening down in smoking area with her new friends exchanging Wyndham stories. Played corn hole until it was too dark to play. Didn't matter. I couldn't hit the target when I could see it.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:50 pm 

Tuesday,
Another early beach shell stroll. Then we walked up to Boulineau's hardware store. Thought I grabbed swim trunks when I packed for trip. What I grabbed was another pair of shorts. Oh well. They're swim trunks this week. Needed a web belt and as usual. You need it. Boulineau's has it.
Spent most of the day reading around pool and shelter areas out of sun. Played some more corn-hole.
Dinner at River Cities.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:35 pm 

I am enjoying tagging along. If you go back to AmaZing their Hungarian Mushroom soup is awesome. Enjoy the rest of your stay.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 pm 

Wednesday:
Early shell walk. Then walk up the street for breakfast and groceries. Nice day. Suns out. Nice breeze. Block up street we went into Atlantis for breakfast. Barely had order in and outside. Pouring the rain.
Plan A: Eat and it'll probably be gone by the time we finish.
PlanB: Awnings and eaves would give us some shelter going to store.
Plan C: Two parking buildings we can go through back to Towers.
Plan D: Get wet.
Nice breakfast and Plan A worked.
On the beach before noon. Couple hours. Some sprinkles but hardly a cloud in the sky. Worked my way up beach looking for shells. Sun to my back still taking care of burnt front. Above Sea Mountain realized there was no shadow. No sun. Boy the wind was blowing. Turned and coming from south was some of the darkest clouds skies ever.....
Back to chairs. We discussed staying out longer and she said can't see down the beach.
On a clear day you can see down to Skywheel. Not seeing "down the beach" isn't that bad.
Turned around. Couldn't see Ocean Drive. Looked like Stephen King fog moving towards us fast. Grabbed and headed in. By the time we rinsed off it hit. Rain blowing sideways felt like needles. Waterfalls around pool were turned off because water was blowing everywhere but into the pool. Trying to get into building with chairs blowing like kites was an adventure. By the time we made it to room....
All clear. Sun was out.
Ate lunch. Went back out til around six. Dinner in and stayed around building.

Thursday:
Beach walk. Breakfast in. All day on beach.
One minor shower sent us in for lunch.
Off beach around 5:00.
Walked up to Duffy's. Like most restaurants. Fine line between raising prices and cutting back on size. They're cutting back on size.
Still worth the stop.

Friday:
Early walk. Headed out early do some shopping before meeting Patrish and Wally for lunch.
Somebody told Ruann the NMB Hobby Lobby had beach crafts. So we had to go look.
First time to a Hobby Lobby. Like a Michaels and Pier One in one building.
Oh boy.
Too much to see. Didn't see any beach crafts so we left. There's one fifty miles from here. Guess where we'll be going next rag top drive.
Stopped at Wal Mart for wipers. Not sure girl even knew what wipers were. Left without them. Old ones are fine. As long as it doesn't rain.
Met Patrish and Wally at Conch Cafe in Surfside. Right on beach. Most of the seating is on covered porch facing the water. Temps and breeze were perfect. Food good. Great to see them again.
Back to NMB. On the beach by 3:00 and sat there til after 6:00. Last day. Hard to turn back to the water and walk away.
Finished off food in fridge. Packed most everything and went ahead and carried it to truck. Had planned on walking up for ice cream. Bike traffic was pretty heavy. Decided against it.

Saturday:
Ruann didn't feel good all night. Didn't sleep. I slept but woke up enough that I knew she was having rough time.
5:00 am I finally said let's go.
On the road at 5:45. Smooth sailing until VA/WV line.
Northbound I77. Major paving project. State line to Princeton. 9 mile paving project. One lane. Couple detour suggestions on signs all the way back into NC but I figured it was Saturday. Early. Couldn't be that bad.
Just once I'd like to be right.
Two mile back up before you even get to the one lane. Then you have the ones going up the open lane trying squeeze in with the ones who have been waiting patiently. Plus the other "we're in a bigger hurry than you are" people who jumped off at exit then back up the entrance ramp and ran acceleration lane as far as they could to skip ahead of everybody else.
Home at 2:00.
It rained.....
Still need wipers......

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 pm 

Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:38 am 

I love your writing style. Always a comical read for me.

Perhaps the wiper fairy will deliver.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:13 am 

Enjoyed the report. Lots of rain but you made the best of it. Just been a rainy season in this area of the country..

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:55 pm 

Loved reading about your trip...rain did not seem to spoil too much ...a few years ago we had heavy rain for the first 3 days of our vacation...well, except at night...it seemed to stop at night...then rain all day...good thing the house had several TVs...lots of games...and we all had reading devices/books...we ate a lot...

Thanks for sharing !