Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirateland 7/5 - 7/11
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:02 pm 

The time has come and gone again in what seemed like the blink of an eye. We left SW Virginia around 2:30 AM on the morning of the 5th on the way to Pirateland. The leaving time had been a topic for over a week on whether to leave Wednesday afternoon, midnight, Thursday around 5AM or when. Out of nowhere 2 AM popped up as the time my father in law wanted to leave. Since he is the one pulling the camper what he says goes. Traffic was great but even he met his match battling the yawns around Columbia and had to switch out with the mother in law to get a nap. I had already made the switch in Spartanburg after kayaking the river in front of our house early on the 4th.

We finally arrived at Pirateland around 10:15AM on what seemed like a little longer trip than usual for us. The site we would be camping on was cleared a little later than usual but by noon we were backed in and setting up the campsite. One thing that we could not complain about this week was the weather. It may have been the best I have ever experienced. Most of the week seemed to be in the mid 80s on the beach and even at times it felt a little cool when out in the waves getting sprayed a little as they crashed and the wind blowing.

We have been camping at the beach for quite a few years now at Pirateland and my retired inlaws found a restaurant in their month stay in the fall they wanted us to try as well, so after a little relaxation after setting up and a quick shower we ventured to Garden City to Gregs Cabana Bar and Grill. The in laws loved their ribs and wanted to make sure we tried them. My youngest daughter and wife each got ribs while my oldest got the shrimp platter and I got the fish platter. I forgot to take a pic of our food unfortunately as I was ready for a meal after our common stop for breakfast at McDonalds at the 95/501 exit outside of Marion had exhausted itself. The ribs were good. Overcooked if it was a competition but easy to eat with good flavor. The shrimp were enjoyed and my fish was decent. We headed back to the campground after a stop at Kroger for groceries and most turned in early for the night.

Friday was a fairly lazy day with time spent in the ocean and pool areas. The lazy river felt like it was 95* and I wasnt complaining. It was almost like a hot tub lazy river and felt great. I think all of us guys on the trip did hit Hudsons Flea Market that day which we always hit at some point when on vacation.

Saturday was a pretty lazy day again. It was so lazy I didnt make the trip to Market Commons to the farmers market as I normally do. There are some great finds there if you want fresh veggies/fruit during your stay and especially if you want to cure a sweet tooth. My wife, daughters and oldest nephew did enjoy playing the campgrounds putt putt course with the nephew winning a free round by hitting a hole in one on a secret hole. We also had some deep fried brownie bites, deep fried cheesecake and funnel cake from the stand that is setup near the arcade at the campground.

Sunday is the day I believe we were relegated to the pools. The storm out in the Atlantic had the waves a little rougher and I preferred my daughters stay out of it. That afternoon we took our trip to the Murrells Inlet River City Cafe. That place always seems like it has plenty of seating available if you dont care to eat around 5. The service was a little slower than usual for them as we had cleared the appetizers for quite a while before our food arrived. I had the Nacho Crunch Burger as I try to work through the menu with each trip. My father in law tried the Fork and Knife burger and loved it.

Monday was our last day to truly enjoy the campground. We stayed inside it for the day taking advantage of every moment we could get on the beach. I mean it is vacation so why worry about the other stuff.

Tuesday turned into a longer day than expected and the get ready to leave day always seems long. We made an unexpected trip to Broadway to pick up a few things for school this year and candy for my youngest nephew. Our beach trip was cut 3 days short this year due to his graduation from basic at Fort Benning on Friday the 13th. Im proud as heck of him and the work he put into joining the army and getting through boot camp. Later the misses, kids and I took a trip to Creek Ratz as I have to go to one seafood joint while in the area. The food was as good as I remember as we had been to Dirty Dons the last few years. It was a great view sitting out on the back deck over looking the inlet and Goat Island. The food was cooked to near perfection it seemed with the shrimp, oysters and fish all being just right to me.

****I forgot to add originally that on the way out of Murrells Inlet we stopped at Inlet Adventure mini golf. I like to try and take my daughters to a different putt putt course each year. Inlet Adventure isnt new but they have done a nice job maintaining the place and may be one of the best mini golf values in the area.

Wednesday morning we hooked up and headed to Fort Benning. I hated to leave as nice as the weather had been. It did seem strange this year with fewer campers in Pirateland than usual. It reminded me more of a late August trip where there are many open campsites to be found. I will try to add a couple of photos in the thread from our trip on tapatalk after while.

Last edited by 1inStripes on Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm 

How big is your camper?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:00 pm 

42'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:43 pm 

Great report. If you don't mind me asking how old are the kids? We were thinking about Greg's Cabana but just didn't know how kid friendly it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 am 

12 and 9 as of yesterday for the youngest. It wasnt a rowdy place, at least not when we were there. There were other younger kids there as well with other families. I wished I had taken some photos. It has its own ambiance wish sports stuff adorning the walls, kind of dark and cluttered, but not an unfriendly place for families although being a cabana car. Prices were definitely fair, especially their daily specials.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 am 

Camping is on my bucket list. The fire burns brighter w/ every passing year. Not sure I can do the 2am anymore. I have been known to turn an 8 hour into two travel days.

Congratulations to your nephew.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 pm 

17S2MBSC wrote:
Congratulations to your nephew.

Thank you. Im proud as heck of him.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am 

Sounds like you had a great trip!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & Finally 2019!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:14 am 

Thanks for the report. It sounded like a nice family holiday.