Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: One day trip........
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:15 am 

Soon as kids are up we're heading that way for one day wrestling tournament.......
Is a trip report required.....?

Post subject: Re: One day trip........
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:45 am 
Site Admin

......of course!
:wav:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:08 pm 

With pictures Image

Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album
Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:20 pm 

Please :wav:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:08 pm 

Yeah!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:44 pm 

Well...
If I have to...
See how long I can stretch out three days...

Set the stage. Fifteen years ago when we realized we were empty nesters, we ran down for four days. Ever since. When ever we've considered a quick trip down we've thought about that one trip and debate if short trip is worth 16 hour round trip drive....We've never tried it again...
Until now...
Nine year old Caleb wrestles. Hardly a weekend goes by his coach doesn't have his team signed up for tournament in Tri-State area. Three weeks ago we were informed the team was heading to MB. Yeah it got my attention. Then the thoughts of down and back entered my mind and I said I'd stay home if Ruann wanted to go with other parent or grandparent.
Looked like she was going alone so I forced myself into taking a day off so I could go along.

Hit the road Friday morning a little after 6. Two of us, Caleb, sister Hayley(13) and step sister/step grand daughter Cayley(13)..
Clifford the red Silverado was the vehicle... Been a long time since we've hauled more than the two of us down...
Pillows, blankets, snacks and drinks. Rat's nest of phone chargers and cords. Cab was a mess before we even got in..
Truck bed looked like we were going for a week.
Barely out of driveway before the "He touched me","Did you brush your teeth?" bickering started.....
It was still early.. Going in and changing for work was still an option....
Couple rest stops, lunch and gas at Laurel Hill, NC. We pulled into MB at 3:30.

Team booked Landmark. Most had driven down earlier in week and made a vacation out of it. We lucked out and booked two nights oceanfront.
Landmark is older. Dated. Clean. Tons of amenities. I'm guessing it's been added too and remodeled a few times. Very confusing layout. I'm sure if there a week you'd have more time to get used to the maze of halls and floors.
Plenty of elevators for the buildings but never knew where they would take you. Up to 11 you might end up going to 15 and back down. Next time it might stop at every floor. Riding with employees it sounded like that was normal.

Kids changed and hit the beach. Sun was warm but breeze was still cool. Kids went in the water. I couldn't believe it. Be nice to be that young again. Coach had called a team workout at 5:00 on the beach. Caleb went in to dry off and put on dry clothes.
Workout consisted of a dodge ball/man in middle/down man with ball/volleyball game with no net and played with a soccer ball. Covered with sand team hit the water. Caleb goes in with his dry sweatpants. Two hours in and half his clothes and shoes are now soaked.
Back in to clean and dry him again. Coach takes him over to Convention Center to weigh in. Plan was to meet them later and head out with team to eat. Long story short we were supposed to meet at Captain George's. Nobody really said when. Sat in parking lot figuring the cost and the appetites of those in our car. Why?
Called the group and said we were heading to Broadway.
Checked in at Margaritaville. 45 minute wait which isn't bad for there. While waiting other team families showed up. The $35 a head at Captain George's had a lot of them looking elsewhere.
Our table was upstairs between two large groups of college kids who knew each other. They'd been in the bar awhile before getting their table. One girl was literally being held up by her friends. No amount of "don't stare" commands was going to turn the kid's heads...If anything kids learned how not to act.....Well....We can hope...

Back to the room around 11. Up early for long day of wrestling.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:36 pm 

Hey Alan, Regret that we missed you this trip. Was a wild weekend for us as well with two of the grands, and parents , of course, coming into town for the Blue Angels Air Show.... Do hope the Wrestling tournament was a success... We do look forward to the next meet up...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:42 am 
Site Admin

Loved reading every word of this, Alan.! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Landmark has been around forever. Glad they are trying to keep it updated. We have been in big hotels where you have elevator destination choices and it takes awhile to get it figured out. As you said, if you had booked for a longer stay it would have been a breeze.

Had to laugh at the "don't touch me." I think it's universal when traveling with kids.

I’ve been impressed the last 2 times we’ve been to Margaritaville. The food was actually very good.

Hope wrestling day went well. Again, sorry we missed you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am 

Great report - thanks ! Good call to head to MVille !!!

Our first trip to MB was at the Landmark, 15th floor..... that was an elevator ride ! (and quite a view)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:51 pm 

Tournament start was 9:00am. Should be there by 8:30. For us that means shoot for 8:00. If something happens still good chance to be on time.
Started wake up at 7:00. Hair, makeup and dressed they were all ready by 7:30. Doing so good we thought maybe a quick stop someplace for breakfast sandwiches we could take and eat at Convention Center while waiting.
Krispy Creme was first place we saw and that's what they decided. Getting out of car. Saw McDonalds two doors up. Soooo close.

Everybody got their sugar rush on and off we went. Best organized tournament we've been to. Most are all day events. 6-8 hours running all weight classes at same time. Always thought half in morning and half in afternoon would make more sense. That's how they ran theirs and we were walking out of there 3 1/2 hours later.

Caleb had bad day. Won two. Lost three. Finished fourth out of six. Team as a whole didn't do bad. Eight kids in eight weight classes. 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds and 2 fourths.
Problem with the faster format our one coach had his hands full getting from one mat to the other for the different weight classes. Caleb's first match he had no coach. Almost a forfeit when a coach for another team sat in his corner. Caleb won and that coach was impressed.
Maybe fourth match coach didn't make it. I sat in corner. Yelled encouragement. Apparently there's a point in match where wrestler/coach ahead in points decides next start position. Other wrestler is supposed to signal their defense or something.
Ref turns to me with a hand signal and I was supposed to signal our choice.
I had no clue. Only signal I know would have got me kicked out. I yelled at Caleb to tell ref what he wanted to do. I explained to ref after the match what was going on and he just laughed.

Left the Convention Center at noon. Headed south to Soccer Locker for the girls. Getting close to airport I thought for a minute maybe we would stop and watch some air show.
Golf course across the street from airport was closed. Greens and fairways covered with umbrellas, canopies and chairs. Gas station on the corner was jammed with cars and chairs. Not sure the arrangements but no doubt the store was pretty much closed except for the people in the area watching the planes. Road curving back to Ocean Blvd was covered with people. Guess we weren't watching planes today.
Soccer Locker stop was expensive as usual. Not sure if because we stop there every trip or he was just bored. He gave 10% off..... I think.
Wouldn't let kids leave until they answered a brain teaser. He had a ton of them and kids missed em all. He finally lets us go.
Down to Surfside/Garden City for California Pizza. Sat outside. After ordering Ruann went next door to thrift shop. Ever since she bought wood highchair one year she has a thing about checking them out now. $5 boogie board for Caleb and $25 double wide rope hammock for me. Yaaaayyyyy!!!
While they were gone waitress offered me free large pizza they had made wrong. So we ended up with twice as much food as expected.

Back to Landmark for some much needed beach time. Sun felt good but breeze was cool enough the shirt stayed on. Did wade around enough to find handful of shark teeth.
Saw good bit of Blue Angels part of air show. They may have been doing the low level stuff over the runway but they weren't turning around without coming out over the beach.
It was odd seeing thousand some people on beach standing facing away from the water.

Amazing how many goody bag/leftover boxes five people can collect in one day. We had ribs, club sandwiches and pizza in the fridge. No sense in going out. Kids walked up to pier and back. Pool until 11:00.

Sunday morning. Caleb and I went on luggage cart hunt. Back to our floor I noticed as we left elevator. He hit three or four more buttons as we exited the door. Hmmmm. Maybe figured out the elevator problems. Just knowing all the kids in the building were all doing it.
Decided to do breakfast before heading out. Several possibilities but kids had never been to a Denny"s before. Think the one we hit was around 9th Ave south. Waiter's tag said Sam-I-Am.... Ruann asked if he liked Dr Sues...Never did give us a straight answer. He was a character and breakfast was fun.

8 1/2 hours we were home.
Kids dropped off elsewhere....
Like the old saying....
Great thing about grandkids....
When you're tired of em....
You can send em home.....

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:12 am 

Sounds a lot like how to cram a week into two days... Now that you're an "experienced" coach, you can go to all the events... Sorry you missed the air show... Parking was a premium everywhere... see you both on your next trip...

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:44 pm 

Trips with kids...wow...you did well...Terry & I have nightmares thinking about all day wrestling tournaments...and track meets are equally as bad...kids are all adults now and our attendance at athletic events has decreased a lot...but now the grands are getting into the competitive age...AddyJo...cheerleading and Daltyn has not decided his favorite yet...thank goodness....but, hey...at least you got to the beach!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:41 am 

Wow!!! Sounds pretty fun actually!
Too bad it wasn't this weekend...we could of "bonded"...lol :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:29 am 

Thanks for the report. Even though it was a short stay , sounds like you enjoyed. MB makes it pretty easy to have a good time.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 pm 

Thank you for sharing. You know you loved every minute with those grands.