Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am 

Since I turned the big 60 this year I wanted to do it at the beach. I kinda wanted to go by myself - just a week of relaxing and reflection but my family thought that was strange! :roll: I knew our oldest son and family couldn't go because he coaches basketball and June is a very busy month plus they were going to Florida later in summer with in-laws. Our youngest son (he also helps coach basketball at another school but they don't go to all the camps) and fiancee said they would fly down on Sunday and stay for rest of the week. So made reservations at Sea Watch....really like it there!

Hubby and I left home on Friday morning and stopped in Columbus to pick up Nate/Kelly's luggage so they would only have to mess with a small carry on. Since it was Father's Day weekend and my husband still enjoys watching Andy Griffith (guess there are worse things to watch on TV), I made reservations to spend the night and all day Saturday in Mt. Airy - made reservation to do a squad car tour around the town. I really figured it would all be pretty hokey but some of it was pretty interesting. We stayed at the Mayberry Inn - a very small but CLEAN place....definitely would stay again. In the evening we went back to the office to ask something and the elderly lady there was the owner. She used to be Andy Griffith's moms hairdresser until his parents moved to CA. Went over to Little Richards BBQ for supper - good. The next morning we went to Aunt Beas for breakfast. It wasn't too bad. Spent rest of the day doing all the tourist things. I had read we should eat at Snappy Lunch and get the Pork Chop sandwich - we weren't very hungry so just ordered one sandwich to split.......wasn't a fan but many people really like them!! They had a big car show coming in around 4 so we stayed around until most of the cars came in. He used to have a 70 Road Runner so was hoping there would be one but of course none came. I had reservations to spend Saturday night in Lumberton because the Fairfield Inn close to Sea Watch was too expensive and they wouldn't accept our Marriott points or our free night certificate. When we got up on Saturday, I just couldn't wait until Sunday to get my toes in the sand so I called FI/MB again and they still wouldn't accept points but when the lady told me the rate it was only about $45 higher than Lumberton so I switched our reservations. Not sure why on vacation $45 doesn't seem to matter! :oops: It was getting dark when we go to MB but I told my husband to go to Sea Watch first - I was going to ask them if I could walk on the beach. When we pulled in they now have a security booth - so I told the guy we were checking in on Sunday but I hadn't been to the beach for a couple years and just needed to hear the waves and feel the sand. He just smiled and told us to go ahead. We found a place to park and no one was at front desk so just walked out door to ocean.........awwwww best feeling in the world!!!! :hello: :hello: I hated to leave but was tired so left after 20-30 minutes and went down the road to FI.....pretty much got to the room and crashed.......so ready for Sunday!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:35 pm 

Sorry I got company earlier when I was typing this.

Sunday we got up and left Fairfield Inn pretty early and went over to Sea Watch. I was going to try and beat the crowd with check in thinking we wouldn't get into the condo until early afternoon. They had a condo available already so we went up to look at it and was fine so we were able to take some of our stuff up before we headed to the airport.

Our days are pretty much the same - get up early walk the beach then we stake out our pool chairs or beach spot. Weather was OK but definitely not what you want everyday at the beach. It would be OK for part of the day then rain some. A little sunny, a little cloudy. The DJ is there on Tuesday/Thursday but only got to listen to him for about an hour on Tuesday then it started raining. Not at all on Thursday which was my birthday~. :sad: Sea Watch has entertainment on Monday and Wednesday evenings now which is nice. Both nights though we only listened for a while then we went out to eat.

My birthday gift from the kids this year was parasailing. We went on Friday - I was scared to death before we went but what an awesome experience!!!! We used Atlantic Watersports in North Myrtle Beach. The only bad part was trying to get on the boat that took us out to the parasail boat and then getting on that. Once we got up in the air it was so peaceful and felt that we were just sitting there. Its one of those things that I'm glad I did it once....maybe I would do it again but if not thats OK. Our ride was about 10-12 minutes and that is definitely long enough I think. After our ride we hurried back to condo because it was hot and sunny all day - the first all week!!

Some of the restaurants we went to this year were: Flying Fish - pretty good. Son/gf thought their "boil" needed more Old Bay. Good Time Charleys at BATB - no one was really hungry so just grabbled sandwiches and a salad. Can't remember what we thought of the place - probably just typical burgers. We went to Duffys one night - its a must because my guys love the Steam Pot. Thursday was my birthday and I chose Bummz - they couldn't believe I only wanted a sandwich for my birthday meal but I like just sitting there listening to the music. Unfortunately, the guy called off that night so never got to listen to any music on my birthday but was a nice day anyway!! On Friday we were packing up to leave early Saturday morning so just ordered a pizza from Sea Watch - not bad. We at breakfast at Sea Watch two mornings. I really like the guy that makes the omelets and waffles!

Even though weather wasn't perfect it was still a great place to spend my birthday. Looking forward to the next time we come because our oldest son/wife has a 6 month old so he will be fun to play with on the beach. Our beach time will definitely be different!

Got up very early Saturday and headed home! Stopped at Ohio University in Athens to visit our oldest son because his team was at a bb camp there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

Happy belated birthday! Glad you were able to spend it at the beach.
>...they couldn't believe I only wanted a sandwich for my birthday...
Oh, I understand that! It's not so much WHAT you eat but WHERE you're eating it!

Glad you got to go parasailing and that you enjoyed it! We think it's fun, but not something we want to do often.

Sounds like a great vacation! Thanks for sharing it with us!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:47 pm 

Birthday at the Beach.... nuttin' better ! :nanner:

Great report - and loved the little summary about Mt Airy, NC.... I forgot Andy Griffith was from rural NC and how autobiographical The Andy Griffith Show was. Loved Andy in Brad Paisely's video:

I've read somewhere statistics show
The man's always the first to go
And that makes sense 'cause I know she won't be ready

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:51 am 

Loved your trip report! We have stopped in Mt Airy for a visit before(Terry is an Andy Griffith fan, too). Happy belated birhday...great way to celebrate...I have never worked up the nerve to parasail yet...always concerned about the banana boat ride out...just a chicken...i guess... anyway, glad you had a wonderful time!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 pm 

Ohiojo, we didn't take a banana boat out we took this red rubber boat out. If you get on Atlantic Watersports website
there is a video and you can see what it looks like. It wasn't too bad of a ride out/back in......just trying to get on/off the boat was a little awkward.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:27 pm 

Thank you...I will have to investigate this further...lol, but I am sure I would have a difficult time getting out of the rubber boat, as well...the first time I tried to get in a tube, for a lazy river, is a memory that my family still chuckles at...me, not so much...oh well...