Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:39 pm 

I have to start by saying that Terry and I have not stayed at the Compass Cove in over 25 years. In fact it wasn't called the Compass Cove back then; it was the Swamp Fox. We stayed there every year back when our boys were young. As they got older, we moved over to the Regency Towers. We come to MB at least once a year. This was our 3rd trip this year. In January and March we stayed at the Roxanne Towers, trying to save $$ so we can come more often. My wife is a teacher, so we work around her breaks. We are so trying to figure out how to move down from Maryland.

The Compass Cove was great. It is a lot bigger and more crowded than we remember. The staff was super friendly, and very accommodating when we asked them to jump through hoops so that we could stay an extra night during Eclipse Weekend. As busy as it was, we were able to find a parking space in their main garage every time; never had to park across the street. They have a very nice breakfast buffet every morning and we ate burgers at their Crow's Nest one night and sat outside watching the beach while we ate.

We are creatures of habit and usually eat at the same places every time we come down. However, the last couple of times we have been adding some new places at the recommendation of all the great folks on this board. I will tell you that my favorite place is Nacho Hippos and sometimes we hit it twice during a trip.

1st new place for us this trip was Hamburger Joe's. We went the day we came down for lunch while we waited for our room to be ready. Loved the atmosphere and the service. It was good food for a price that did not reflect being in a tourist town. Definitely a new place for our list.

The big win for this trip was at BATB. We don't usually eat there, but have found two new winners in our last two trips. This time was lunch at Paula Deen's. Oh my gosh, amazing southern food and all your can eat to boot. For lunch it was Choose 2 entrees, 4 sides, and dessert for each of us. Fried chicken and ribs were our choice and they were both great. The only problem was we were so full after we left that we could hardly move.

The other new place we found there while visiting in the spring. We had burgers at Wahlburgers. I think they might have been the best burgers I have ever tasted. A little pricey and a long wait, but Amazing!

The rest of the week consisted of a couple of movies, driving around looking at neighborhoods (still dreaming), lots of time walking on the beach, and staying in air conditioned spaces in the middle of the day. It was hot and a new kind of humid. One of these days we are going to meet Wally and Patricia and let them talk us into moving to Market Commons. Soon I hope.

Michael & Terry Moore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:19 am 

Thanks for the report. We are creatures of habit too. Part of the fun of MB for us is visiting the same places over again. It's like visiting old friends.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:15 pm 

Thanks for the trip report! I'm glad you had a great time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:12 am 
Site Admin

Michael and Terry, thanks so much for this trip review. I enjoyed reading it! We know many people who return the the same MB locations year after year.

And I agree with the new additions to Broadway at the Beach.They have undergone a terrific face lift, especially in the entertainment/restaurant area.

Let us know next time you're at the beach. We absolutely love living in The Market Common area and would be happy yo show you around!

Thanks again for taking the time to write this review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 pm 

Thanks for posting. I love hearing restaurant reviews even of places I have been as things sometimes change over time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:22 pm 

Thanks for sharing. Great report that I really enjoyed reading.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:33 am 

Great trip report! Thank you! We like the Compass Cove, as well, for all of the same reasons you mentioned. We have yet to try Paula Deen's and Wahlburgers but they are on the list for next year!