Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:57 pm 

I am a little late posting a report...it was a laid back trip.

July 27...we left around 9am...Terry, myself, and grand daughter Kaitlyn(13yrs). I was the first driver...drove all the way to Beckley, WV...weather was great until we got just below Parkersburg, WV...then the skies opened up...poured...poured...poured...Terry took over at Beckley...to say the drive on the turnpike was nasty is an understatement...such heavy rain...cars and semi's were all crawling along...we found out later many places back home were affected by flash flooding...not surprising...we stopped in Asheboro, NC for the night(this is our regular overnight stop...Holiday Inn Express...good price for overnight stay...the rain had stopped...we ate at Kickback Jack's(sports bar type place) which is right next door...when we came out...lol...it was raining again...rained all night...we enjoyed a cozy room...and tv...the teenager was not impressed...but she had her phone and laptop...hehehe

July 28...up and out by 10(Terry is not an early riser...lol...I am) Breakfast at Huddle House in Asheboro...not fancy...but yummy for basic breakfast...oh yeah...the sun was shining! Took off on the last leg of our trip...traffic was light...and we stopped only a few times for breaks...traffic on 501 was not bad for a Friday...no big slow downs...we stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Broadway at the Beach this night...this is a tradition for us to stay the first night here and then go over to BATB for the evening...we walk around ...eat...usually at Liberty Steakhouse...then get back to the room and watch the fireworks from the hotel parking lot...dinner was good at Liberty...seemed like they have changed a lot of things on their menu...Terry & I enjoyed the fireworks...from a bench at the front of the hotel...Kat...stayed in the room...teenagers...lol...then tv and bed...

July 29, 2017...we had early check in to our condo...so we headed down to Surfside ...guess what...it started raining...pouring...oh well...let up a little as we got on 544...traffic was not bad...it was about 11:30am...got to Old Colony Realty...and...pouring...AGAIN...ran in got the keys...headed up to our condo...it was a second row condo...north part of Surfside Beach...third floor...no elevator...what was I thinking...oh well...we had a 13 yr old to help bring stuff up...we told her that was why we brought her...she was not amused...oh well...we, also, had my daughter and her husband who arrived about the same time we did...young people are great at carrying things...thanks Ashley & Eric!!!
We went to Piggly Wiggly for supplies...and it was not crowded...because it was still early...about 1pm...but I have since discovered the Kroger in Garden City...really easy to get to...on side roads...and I love Kroger...we do not have any close to us...at home...sorry Pig...
We ate at Surf Diner at the pier in Surfside...Terry had the cowboy steak...and we were both impressed with... it large and juicey...he loved it...I had fried flounder...very good, as well...hard not to mess up fried food.
walked the beach after dinner with the young folk...checking out the beach renourishment...many people seemed upset by the beach work...but I find it interesting to watch...machinery was broken down for part of our stay...but none of the work interfered with our beach time at all...

July 30-August 5, 2017
Our days were all the same...walk, beach, eat repeat...a little boring...but quite relaxing...no major shopping...just catching up on family time...it was great...
I want to thank, Judy, for her kind offer of tickets to the go karts...but the kids all wanted to just hang at the beach with us...go figure...
Some of the places we ate...River City Cafe...love the burgers and atmosphere...Dead Dog Saloon...we really like their ribs...Angelo's Steak & Pasta...good basic steak...Sundown Sports bar...good reuben sandwich...Hamburger Joe's...love the burger with slaw and chili...coldest beer we have found...
We did shop a little at the store on the Surfside Pier...I find better items there than I do at the beach stores...we did stop in at a Whales(across from Hamburger Joe's).let me just say..they must not have anyone to work...the place was trashed...shirts all over the floor...so much so that I felt like I should be going around picking up...but Terry stopped me...It used to be a lot nicer...

Friday was a rainy day...Ashley wanted to get some new shoes for crossfit...so we headed out for Black Dog Running(i think that was the name)...anyway it was in Market Common vicinity...lol...we followed the GPS...I could not get there on my own...anyway...the people working there really know feet...Ashley found some great shoes for not too outrageous of a price...
rain stopped by the time we got back to the condo...Ash and I grabbed our towels and kindles and spent our last afternoon at the beach...bittersweet...

Almost forgot...we made several trips to Sophia's for nightly ice cream...great, as usual...have heard it is under new ownership...but I saw some familiar faces still working behind the counter...and they were busy every evening!

August 5 was check out...of...it was pouring...again...but we had loaded most of our stuff the night before...we had a long day planned...going to visit our daughter Katie in Clayton, NC...she worked until 5pm...so we ate breakfast at Bob Evans...then I went into Target(right behind Bob's) and bought my grandson's school supplies(tax free weekend)...lol...it was a madhouse...but after a few hours I had it done...we then headed up 701 to Clayton...it was a scenic route...not a fast route...but we had a lot of time...got to Katie's and the GPS had some trouble finding their new house...but we made it...we all stayed overnight and had a great visit...
took off the next afternoon...stopped at Pilot Mountain...we have been there many times but wanted Kat to see it...and the weather was great...stayed over in Mount Airy, NC ...used my reward night from IHG rewards...Holiday Inn Express...got home Monday evening...another great trip in the books ...thanks for coming along...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Lol...You, if anyone, knows about bad weather in Myrtle Beach! I remember when....

Loved your trip review!

>...Our days were all the same...walk, beach, eat repeat...a little boring.>
...Nope. Not boring at all. I love beach vacations where all I have to do is eat, drink, and enjoy the beach!

Thanks for the trip review. Enjoyed reading it!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:19 am 

Thanks for sharing. I miss the beach and these reports help me make it until we get back next year.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Our days were all the same...walk, beach, eat repeat...a little boring...but quite relaxing...

That is the PERFECT vacation!! Sorry it rained a bit but you really sounded like you made the best of it! Thanks for taking the time to share :hello: :hello:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:28 pm 

Thanks for posting, we usually do the same, beach, eat , repeat , maybe with some shopping too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:05 pm 

I do, indeed, recall my fall trip to Surfside...on the heels of a hurricane! It was still a great trip...I hope to do it again fall of 2018...minus the hurricane weather...This year is out...Terry is having a knee replacement next week...so that is going to keep us at home for awhile.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:02 pm 

I loved following you around. You really know how to make the best of things. Unfortunately the weather is something we can't control. We also love the "just chillin" when at the beach. Our kind of holiday.