Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:02 pm 

Here's our trip report from the vacation I'm already missing:

Day 1

We left New York at about 3:45am and stopped at the Cracker Barrel for breakfast in Emporia, VA. Ironically, it was the same place we stopped at last year. I guess when you run low on gas, that's when you stop :) Continued on after refueling (in more ways than one) and arrived in North Myrtle Beach at about 4:00pm. We drove through one spot of ran on Rt. 9 but it was only 5 minutes and that was it. Beautiful, sunny skies greeted us as we approached the ocean. We checked in and was pleasantly surprised to find that Tower 2 (where our unit was located in) was renovated in April. They did a good job. The unit was decorated with light blues and sandy colors; very beachy, and the furniture was new and comfy. Previously the colors were dark purples and blues, and art deco looking. The pool area was updated with new stone tiles, and they added BBQ gas grills and fire pits for roasting s'mores. The kids loved the fire pits! We went to the grocery store for some supplies for the week, had dinner, then went for a walk on the beach. I swear, the beach is an instant stress reliever and if I could bottle that feeling, I would. It is amazing how much better I felt once my toes were in the sand, and I could breathe in the salty air. Our six year old, who has had a loose tooth (his first) hit his tooth earlier in the evening and was freaking out about the blood and the fact that his tooth hurt. It was very minor and he was being extremely dramatic, but he was over tired from the trip, and once his toes hit the sand, his tooth was forgotten about.

Day 2

We never left the resort today. We woke up, went to the beach, came up to the unit for lunch, and back down to the beach until dinner time. Had a meal that I made and froze; and then later that evening, we roasted s'mores. Very relaxing.

Day 3

Repeat of Day 2. Been eating the meals we prepared back home and froze for the trip, to save some money. Big news happened today! THE TOOTH CAME OUT! Wow, how excited our son was to lose his first tooth on vacation. The Myrtle Beach tooth fairy came and made his experience very special.

Day 3

Got up, went to the beach, relaxing ensued, etc. etc. The weather was awesome, and it continued throughout the whole week. Hot and sunny, but perfect for the beach. Our daughter who is 15 (yes, big age difference between my two youngest), developed a mild obsession with the lifeguard. I must say, he was probably the best looking and well-built lifeguard on the beach, but I simply admired him from afar :lol: She named him "Mr. Perfection" and by the end of our beach day made me take a photo with of her with him. He as very sweet and accommodating to her request. Lots of other young girls had the same idea too. He seemed to be very popular. A middle-aged woman (no, it wasn't me!) even took a photo with him, haha! That night we went to Rioz for dinner. We try to go once a year because the kids love it. We had my mom with us this year, and she loved the salad bar. The service wasn't as great as we remembered it being, but the food was still amazing. After dinner, we went to Broadway at the Beach. It was super hot, so we popped in and out of the shops to cool off. Once shop we stopped at was the Savannah Bee Company. I believe it is new there. We really enjoyed it. I love hot tea, and have recently begun substituting sugar and milk in my tea, for raw honey. We tasted tested what they had and mom and I ended up buying the Acacia raw honey. It has a light, sweet taste and I highly recommend it. They also have bath products made from honey. Definitely check it out!

Day 4, 5, and 6 coming up next!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

I'm really enjoying your trip review!

The Myrtle Beach tooth fairy puts in extra hours when it's tourist season. Plus, she often shows up at one of the live entertainment shows and sometimes at shopping venues like Broadway at the Beach.

Had to smile at your story of the lifeguard and your 15 year old. Glad he was a good kid! Lifeguard with personality, friendliness and good looks...great combination.

Sorry it has been so dang hot. :cry:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:29 pm 

Thanks Patrish! No need to apologize for it being so hot. We love it hot when we're at the beach : ) And when we got back to NY, it was overcast. Today it rained almost all day! I miss the hot sunny SC weather!

I submitted the second part of my trip report and don't see it. I hope I didn't delete it by accident, lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:01 pm 

OK, so I did post days 4,5,& 6, but it somehow never posted, so I'm submitting again.

Day 4

Beach, beach, beach! All day long but that's what we're here for :nanner: The jellyfish were pretty bad during the afternoon, in fact my daughter was one of the casualties. Oh my, she had to have Mr. Perfection give her a vinegar treatment, lol (She was loving every minute of it). After her sting, it seemed that every few minutes, people were getting stung, and for the next two days, the lifeguards' flags were purple to warn people. It didn't seem to deter many people, the ocean was still full of many having a great time. That night we went to Barefoot Landing. Mom and I needed to stock up on some olive oil at the Olive Shoppe. We love their Garlic Infused EVOO and the Aged Balsamic Vinegar. Afterward we went to Friendly's to treat the kids to some ice cream- we had some too!

Day 5

Got up and...yep, you guessed it, we went to the beach! The kids bounced back and forth between the pools and the beach. We skipped lunch and just snacked under our umbrella until it was time for showers and getting ready for dinner. We took mom to the Sea Captain's House. We had been there before and wanted to bring her. Our waiter Cory was wonderful, and we had an amazing dinner. Mom had the Captain's Muddle (we all tried it and it is awesome), hubby had the Sea Bass special, and I had the shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta. I also had a cup of the She Crab soup (yummy!). Our daughter had chicken since she's not a seafood fan, and the little guy had a cheeseburger (he's not a big eater to begin with). After dinner, we lounged on some beach chairs out back, while the kids chased salamanders, and listened to a live musician sing. He sang songs by Jimmy Buffet, Kenny Chesney, Zac Brown Band, Otis Redding, etc. I wish I had gotten his name or card; he was amazing. It was such a nice evening. Took a few family photos (not professional, just our own) and went back to the hotel to roast some s'mores.

Day 6

We had that "vacation is almost over" pit in our stomachs, but we planned to enjoy our last full day of vacation to the fullest. Beach and pools all day long, some relaxing time on the balcony with a glass of wine, and then dinner. We had some leftovers from the week and from dinner the night before at Sea Captains, so we ate that all up. Then took the kids down to roast s'mores and for a nighttime walk on the beach. Hubby got stung by a jellyfish today and so did our daughter (again) but they both said the stings were very mild. It's hard to keep those two out of the ocean ;)

Day 7

We woke up at 2:30am, packed up the car and were on the road by 3am. Drove until we entered Virginia, then had breakfast and back on the road. Despite two traffic hang-ups in VA and NJ on 95 (where else :roll: ) we rolled into the driveway at about 4pm. As sad as it is for vacation to be over, it was nice to be home. Plus we missed our oldest son who couldn't come with us. Now, it's time to start dreaming of next year's trip!

Hope you all enjoyed the report; if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

-Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

Glad you enjoyed Sea Captain's. It’s one of our favorites.

>I wish I had gotten his name or card; he was amazing. It was such a nice evening
This is the magic of Myrtle Beach. No, REALLY!

>..We had that "vacation is almost over" pit in our stomachs....
I understand. One of the reason we decided we needed to move here.

Love your vacation review. Thank you so much for sharing your experiece

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:30 am 

Thanks for the Trip Report, it was great!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:40 am 

Great trip report - thanks ! These reports are making me so miss Myrtle Beach !

Quote:
the little guy had a cheeseburger

I remember staying at the Caribbean a few years back and arriving in time for a late dinner. Jan wanted to immediately go to the Sea Captains House, but I didn't really want seafood. Had their burger with bacon and bleu cheese.... it was excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:14 pm 

Great report! Sounds like you had the perfect Beach weather. Those nasty jellyfish! Too funny about the vinegar treatment from the lifeguard. I am sure your daughter's heart still skips a beat when she looks at her picture of her and the lifeguard. Lol. Oh to be young again. Thanks for taking the time to write a report. I enjoyed reading about your vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:07 pm 

Thank you for the great trip report! We will be there soon!