Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:44 am 

Yippee!! The first day of vacation with the whole gang. We all loaded up and ate breakfast at Johnny D’s.

Johnny D’s is supposed to be a local favorite. I am not sure about that, BUT it is always crowded. We had to wait about 30 minutes for a table. In my opinion Johnny D’s is not over the top great breakfast food, but it is not bad either. We will certainly continue to go.

My brothers french toast & bacon.

My waffle

I thought I had more pics. Sorry! I think everyone else had either pancakes or bacon & eggs.

After breakfast we headed back over to The Legends to pack up all of our belongings. We had a late check out of 1:00 P.M. which helped because our condo check in wasn’t until 3:00 P.M. After we checked out we headed over to Tanger 501 to waste some time away shopping. Oh my goodness it was just too hot! I am a shopper and very little can hold me back, but it was terribly hot. I couldn’t do it! Sweat was dripping down my back and I am not a sweaty kind of girl. We didn’t last very long. Some friends of ours had already checked in their condo at The Marriott Grande Dunes so all 10 of us piled in with them for a while. Their unit was nice, cool and beautiful. There was a refreshing breeze on the balcony and the view is very nice. She served us munchies as likes to call it. We kicked back and had a great time visiting. If anyone knows of a more beautiful resort in Myrtle Beach please let me know. There is just nothing about this resort that doesn’t scream luxury to me.

We finally received our call that our unit was ready at Crescent Shores. We had stayed at this resort several years ago and the only complaint I had then was it took forever to get up and down the elevator. When we pulled up to the condo there was a line of people holding their luggage waiting to get on the elevator and it was backed up to the street. I looked at Doug and said we have made a mistake. We finally found a parking spot on the 6th floor of the parking garage. I don’t think I have ever unloaded our car from the 6th floor of the parking garage. There was no unloading in front of the building because there was no where to stop the car. Once we got everything out of the car that we could carry we waited 30 minutes on the elevator in the parking garage. I was over it at this point. Thank goodness we didn’t have little kids. When we finally made it to the building we waited another 20 minutes for the elevator there. For this reason alone I don’t think we will ever stay at Crescent Shores again. You finally get all that crap unloaded and then you have to turn around and go to the grocery. Just a nightmare.

We finally get to our room and I was shocked that the door to our condo looked like this

Not what I was expecting for the amount of money that we paid. There was also a bag of laundry laying beside the door. This bag laid there for 3 days until I finally called for it to be picked up.

When we got into the condo it was nice and met my approval for the week. The only issue we had was the unit was to have 5 tv’s. Only the living room tv worked. If you advertise you have 5 tv’s they should be working. Patrons expect to receive what they paid for. I know that I have been kind of negative thus far about the condo, however we ended up having a great week. The elevators didn’t end up being that much of an issue, but it was very crowded. We never once got a chair at the pool and the first couple of days the beach was so crowded we felt like we were on top of other families. We probably will not return to Crescent Shores.

After all the checking in and the grocery run we went to dinner at The Flying Fish at Barefoot Landing. This might possibly have been the best meal of the week. The food, service and view were just great!

We started out with the Mahi Dip appetizer. I am not a big fish eater but I promise you do not want to miss this stuff. Everyone at our table liked it. Sorry I didn’t get a pic.

Salad was great!

My shrimp and grits were honestly some of the best I have had. I was hungry, but they were very good. Everyone see my Tennessee shirt!! Go Vols!!

Buffalo Shrimp

Doug got some kind of fish and garlic mashed potato’s. He was trying to be good and eat fish and we are just not fish eating people. He wished he had ordered something different.

Our experience at The Flying Fish was top notch. If you have never been give it a try.

After dinner we wandered around Barefoot for a little while and then headed back for bed. I was slap worn out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:58 am 

Sunday morning I woke to my happy place. Oh what a feeling! Of course I was up before everyone but the golfers and that was just wonderful with me. Just me and the stunning sight off our balcony. Just beautiful!! I ate breakfast on the balcony and as everyone stumbled out of bed we enjoyed each others company until around 11:00. We then packed it up and hit the beach. I can’t even begin to explain the feeling of being back on the beach. It truly holds a place in my heart. It was hot, but it wasn’t too bad with the ocean breeze. We napped, read, played corn hole and ate a light lunch. I can’t think of a better beach day. Well maybe if our little grandson had been there it would have been perfect.

We ate dinner at Crab Catchers.

I have to laugh a little inside every time we go there because the look on my mom’s face was priceless the first time we took her. It truly is a dump and if you can’t handle that I probably wouldn’t go. I have found that some of the best fresh seafood joints are in small hole in the wall places like Crab Catches. This turned out to be true in Destin as well. When we arrived at Crab Catchers it was sticky hot but of course we ate on the deck anyway. I can’t do the inside smoky atmosphere. They had fans blowing and the heat didn’t end up being bad at all. We had a great time enjoying the boats on the waterway.

The water does look nasty though. I can’t believe people get in it for three reason…nasty water, gators and possible sharks (they gotta be in there). Those reasons alone pretty much rule me out.

We had some kind of seafood dip for an appetizer. As you can see it is almost gone so it was good.

Doug loves boiled shrimp. This was fresh and tasty.

Most of our group got the fried shrimp meal. As you can see the shrimp is lightly breaded and very good. However, the deep fried corn just may be my favorite. YUM!Image

Homemade key lime pie for dessert

We really enjoy Crab Catchers. We like the outside environment and the food has been good so far on all our trips. We will return.

After dinner we headed to Calabash to visit Callahan’s. You all know the drill with us. We pretty much do the same things every year. Of course I bought some of my favorite fudge. Key Lime!! Best stuff ever. I always save this little treat for when I get back home.

On the way back to the condo we stopped and picked these up for breakfast. Of course we had a few in the car.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 am 

Monday morning bright and early all 9 of us headed out to Sea Captains for breakfast. We really had a great time. Lots of good food and laughs. Vacation is a great time to reflect on times past and we do a lot of that. We all left wondering how our bathing suits were still going to fit. Way too much good food. After breakfast we stopped and picked up some beach chairs since it was obvious we were never going to get a seat by the pool. No big deal I would rather sit at the ocean anyway. The view is much better. We were on the beach way before noon.
There was a family of at least 25 right next to us on the beach. They had so much fun with the music pumped up and they even did some group dancing. It was fun entertainment.

For dinner we made our yearly stop at Carolina Roadhouse. For some crazy reason it was extra good this Image

Light and fluffy onion rings for a starter.

Most of you know that I LOVE their salads. In my opinion they just can’t be beat.

Doug got the ginormous prime rib

I got the smaller one. I still could not eat it all

My SIL got the fish. She was very impressed.
Of course we will return!!

Tuesday

Look what I received. Best pic ever to wake up to. Image

This is the day that we did absolutely NOTHING. Have you ever heard that in my trip report before?? I can assure you that you have not. I didn’t put on make up and the bed head was the look of the day. All 9 of us chilled out watching movies, reading books and some time on the beach. It was just a lazy day for us. I am sure this comes with age, but I can assure you as I look back I totally enjoyed this day.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:24 pm 

Oh….it was Croissants Bistro & Bakery Day!!! Oh glorious day! My favorite breakfast. We arrived around 9 and had a 20 minute wait. When we were seated there was a table right beside us with two distinguished men having breakfast. To make a long story short one of the gentlemen was the owner of The Legends Resort that we had just stayed at earlier in the week. We had a brief conversation and needless to say he was out of my league. His kids were in school all over the world and his favorite vacationing spot was the South of France. I proceeded to tell him that my husband loved the Legends courses and he was actually there as we spoke. He was a very nice gentleman.

Our meal was once again very good at Croissants. My brother had the chocolate chip pancakes. He loved them!

For some crazy reason I did not get my Banana Foster French Toast. I got a breakfast croissant. It was delish, but my goodness I sure do crave the French toast now.
We picked up some bakery items before we left and sorry I didn’t get any pics. However, I highly recommend their bakery if you are needing sweets. I picked up a key lime pie for two and it was out of this world.

After breakfast we headed out for a little shopping at Tanger. I bought a few things for the baby, but my mind was on the beach so we didn’t break long for shopping.

For dinner we tried a new eatery. It was called Clark’s. Our little grandson is Clark so we were kinda of excited to try this place out.

Clark’s is locked in Little River on the marina. The view was so so nice and we all thought our dinner was very good.

Salads were fresh and dressings were homemade

My brother got the ribs

Doug got the Sirloin Steak

My SIL got the Chicken & Shrimp

I got this chicken dish

We will certainly go back to Clarks

After dinner we headed back to the condo for games and down time on the deck.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:33 pm 

Thursday

The end of the week was creeping up on us so everyone was scrambling to get all the activities in that they wanted to do. My activity was the beach so Mr. Sun was shining bright and I hit it early. I was out on the sand by 10 and I didn’t budge until 4. Just the thought of not being able to put my toes in the sand for another year made me want to soak up every minute I could. I took long walks and spent most of my day trying to destress from everyday life. The beach is the perfect place to just let it all go. I get so jealous that Patrish can just ride over on her golf cart and destress. Lucky her!! It had been a very trying year in our family with the death of three immediate family members (two of which I cared for) and my mother’s sickness. I almost didn’t know what to do with myself on this trip. I honestly believe everyone should take time for themselves and get away from everyday life to relax. The beach is that outlet for me.

For dinner we went to River City and got the best burgers. I am not kidding they were great!! They had to be great because I couldn’t have been hungry. Right!!

ImageImageImage

After dinner we walked around Barefoot and saw this guy. It had been several years since we have seen a gator. I actually thought he was going to climb out and give us a real show.

Back to the condo for a night walk on the beach. There were tons of teenagers at our complex and they sort of ruined my night beach walk. They were loud and you never knew if a firework was going to blow up around you. Oh to be young again. NOT!

Friday

Friday is always a hard day for me. I don’t know why I just don’t relax and have fun. I can’t stand the thoughts of going home. I got up early and packed up as much as I could so I wouldn’t have to do it that evening. We all ended up going to the House of Blues for breakfast. We like the spicy breakfast they have and it was once again very good. After breakfast we went back to Barefoot and bought taffy and wine. What a combination! The taffy was for my mom and the wine was for a friend that was taking care of things at our house.

We had a wonderful last day at the beach. I finished my book and took in all the beach goers. Some people are just worth taking the time to slow down and watch. I was in a mad rush this last day to find a sharks tooth. Of course it didn’t happen. Pretty sure it is never going to happen.

For dinner we ended up at Flamingo Grill. We always have a hard time picking a dinner place the last night. I think it is because we are always so full from all the food. We had been to the Flamingo Grill before and were not overly impressed. However, it is my understanding it is a local favorite so I was willing to give it another try. Thank goodness we did. We were all impressed.

The salads were exceptional.

I got Hawaiian Chicken and it was so good.

Doug got a New York Strip and he was pleased.

We will return.

After dinner I think we felt like we had done everything we came to do. We went back to the condo with more Krispy Kreme’s and played games until midnight. It was a great last night.

Last edited by Deanna on Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:36 pm 

Saturday

We loaded up and were on the road bright and early. Such a sad sad day. I don't think I ever get tired of the beach.

Again, sorry this took so long, but better late than never. Hope to be back soon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:26 pm 

Fantastic report and looks like you had fun. After missing a year due to going on a cruise, I can't wait until we go back in 2017. Our family missed MB and all the kids do is talk about it. Don't know what it is, but it's just the place for us. Glad you had fun and I love the pics.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:35 pm 

Deanna, your trip report is never too long and never too late. I always enjoy reading it.
We have several friends, snowbirds, who stay at Crescent Shores and like it. Having said that they are there from Jan. To Apr. so have a much different experience. Always room at the pool, never busy on the beach and no wait for an elevator. It sounded as if it was way too busy for me! I also don't like that you have to park across the road. Makes slugging luggage and groceries more difficult.
I always look forward to your restaurant reviews. Love that you add pictures! We also love The Flying Fish and go several times during our winter stay. Great happy hour. We also like Clark's. Great view.
It sounds like the weather was good even if a bit hot. Great beach weather.
Thanks so much for taking the time to share and no wonder that precious little face made your day. What a cutie!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:40 pm 

I promised myself I would stop driving south side to north side every time I wanted to eat out. However, after looking at those pics, appears I have one more drive to make.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:40 am 

Great trip report with awesome pictures! Thank you!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:29 am 

Thank you so much for a great report with all the pics. Really appreciate the detail ! You hit all our high-spots and pushing me to talk Jan into a quick long-weekend trip when we can free up the time. Those pics of CR Prime Rib are very motivating !

Cheers ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:07 am 

LOVED THIS! The pics were great and Clarks is a must do on our list!! Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:30 pm 

Great report. Loved all the food photos. I need to try some of those places, they look great.

Thanks for the report.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:24 pm 

I really loved your trip report! The weather here is is slowly creeping towards fall...boohoo...your report helped me remember our vacation in August! Thanks for all the details and the pictures...you had amazing food! Can't wait until our next trip!