Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 am 

Sorry for the lateness of this trip report. There have been a lot of happenings since our trip. One of them being my sweet Granny passing away. As many of you know one of the main purposes for our trip was for Granny to visit the beach one last time. I knew how special it was to her and wanted her to experience it a final time. I will forever be thankful knowing I gave her one last glimpse of our earthly paradise in Myrtle Beach. Now she is in her eternal paradise!

On to the trip report.

Saturday, Sept. 5
Me, Michelle, Riley (5) and Brody (3) had the car loaded and were on the road by 9:30 a.m.
As many of you know I am big on traditions. Well, right away on our trip I broke one. We normally stop at our local Biscuit King for breakfast, but since it would be out of the way for us to go there we just got Bojangles and went on our way.
Back on the tradition path, we made our halfway stop near Cheraw and arrived at the beach around 1:30.
A new tradition that began last year, we ate lunch at Hamburger Joe's. Burgers, fries, chicken tenders and wings were great.
Check-in was 3 p.m. at Elliott Realty and as always it went smoothly.
We stayed at Sunrise Point in Cherry Grove (Cheers Emmy!) This was our first stay at the resort and we really liked it. It was a four-bedroom unit since Granny, my mom and my Aunt were also coming. They arrived around 5 p.m. We immediately showed Granny the view and the look on her face was all I needed. She spent a lot of her trip just sitting on the balcony and taking it all in. I can't help but wonder if she was thinking this might be her last time ever seeing the ocean. She would just look and look.
After unpacking, my mom and I went to the grocery store (Food Lion and my favorite, Boulineaus) to load up on groceries for the week.
Since it was getting late we made a few quick sandwiches. We took the kids down to the pool until it closed and called it a night.

Sunday, Sept. 6
I was up around 7 and that is not normal for me. I enjoy sleeping in, but for some reason when I am at the beach I tend to wake up a lot earlier. Must be the kid in me being excited about the activities ahead.
After a quick breakfast it was off to the beach and pools.
Lunch was Georgio's Pizza. We got two large pepperoni pizzas, cheesesticks, and of course Michelle's jar of Italian dressing for the week. I could eat at that place every day.
Naps were on tap for the afternoon, then we hit the beach and pools again before calling it a day. Supper was a staple in our family. Hamburgers in the oven, baked potatoes and corn on the cob.

Monday, Sept. 7
Rain, rain, rain. It was raining everywhere.
Since outside activities were a no-go, the ladies took off for a shopping trip to Tanger Outlets.
I took my first of three trips to Golden Griddle before they left then me, Brody and Granny stayed at the condo. When the rain let up, I helped Granny take her corner spot on the balcony and Brody and I went down to the beach. We played football in the sand then went to the pool to swim.
Sunrise Point has three swimming options. An outdoor pool and lazy river, and an indoor pool. I spent most of my time at the heated indoor pool. Those other pools were freezing, even with daily temperatures in the 80s.
Brody had a blast swimming. It was only the second time he has ever “swam” in a pool and he did really well for little training. By the end of the week he was sticking his head under the water and even tried to swim without his floaties. That boy learns quick.
The ladies got back around 4 p.m. and we had a taco bar for supper.
We went to Barefoot Landing around 8 and thought we would see the final fireworks of the year. Apparently they do not do a fireworks finale on Labor Day anymore. In fact, the shops were closing at 9 instead of 10. We made the most of our trip by stopping in at Molly's Creamery for ice cream.

Tuesday & Wednesday
I do not remember much about the middle part of our trip. It was basically beach and pools with not much else going on.
Michelle and I did have a date to Miyabi Japanese Steakhouse and my mom fixed spaghetti one night. I also tried a little restaurant on Sea Mountain Highway called Old South BBQ. It was pretty good and I might return if the opportunity presents itself. I had the barbecue sandwich with red slaw. Being a barbecue snob that grew up in Lexington, NC, I have high standards for my cue. While this was not what I grew up on, it was good and the portions were big.
I believe it was Tuesday when Granny sat on the balcony and asked how high up we were. When she found out it was the 9th floor she could not believe it.

Thursday, Sept. 10
What a fun and interesting day this was. And long!
We had promised Aunt Susan a trip to the zoo with the kids for her birthday but never made it. Since we had never been to Ripley's Aquarium we decided that would be perfect.
We left around 9 and began her special day with breakfast at Golden Griddle. It was French Toast all around and it did not disappoint. Shame on those who have not had them yet! J/K It is quite good.
It took us around half an hour to reach Ripley's and we really enjoyed our time there. It took us a couple hours to experience it all, including an extra trip through to see the sharks. We even got to touch the tops of these clear jellyfish.
For lunch we remained at Broadway at the Beach and ate at Johnny Rockets. Being such a tight-wad with my money, I do not normally eat at Johnny Rockets because I think it is overpriced. I still think that, but the food sure was good. We had burgers, fries, chicken tenders and onion rings. It is a fun restaurant to eat at.
We headed back to the condo and the pools were the popular activity again. Riley got to see her “boyfriend” for the week and they enjoyed swimming together. I told her I was going to tell her boyfriend back home about it. She gave me the look.
On Wednesday, I had noticed that while swimming in the pool I had the urge to use the bathroom frequently. That continued into Thursday and got worse. I thought it could be a urinary tract infection, but would later find out it was something different.
For dinner Michelle and I took Riley out for a special night that took us to Carolina Roadhouse. It was our best meal decision of the week. The atmosphere is great and the food even better. Our salads came and our eyes quickly lit up when we saw those honey-drizzled croissants. As the kids say these days “OMG!” They were amazing. We even got a to-go order of those to take home.
Michelle got a fish special and really liked it. Riley got her usual chicken tenders and fries and I had the double rack of Danish Baby Back ribs. No to-go box needed for this big boy. I finished them all!
Riley had been wanting to get her ears pierced for a while so we decided the time was now. We scooted over to the mall and let it rip. It was a scene we will not soon forget. We were in the store ready to do it, but she was not quite ready so we went to another store to shop. Riley was building up the courage and when we passed back by, she was ready. Or so she thought.
There was lots of screaming and it took us about five minutes in between punches to calm her down. She battled through and she absolutely loves wearing her earrings.
By this time it was around 9 p.m. and we were going back to Cherry Grove.
Sounds like a great day, right? We were not done yet. Well ….. the fun was done.
It was during the drive back that my urgency to use the bathroom increased. Then my lower back started to hurt. When the back began to hurt I knew exactly what it was from my first experience – kidney stone!
We dropped Riley off at the condo and Michelle drove me to the hospital. The pain was getting more intense until I felt relief when they got me some pain meds.
Long story short, I still had not passed the kidney stone in November and finally had to have it blasted. Yay for my checkbook! I knew I should not have complained about Johnny Rockets.
We got home about midnight and I was ready to cuddle the pillow and sleep by that point.

Friday, Sept. 11
The dreaded last full day but it was a great one. Breakfast was at Golden Griddle and beach and pool followed.
I wanted to treat my mom to a nice lunch so we hit up Wild Wing Cafe at Barefoot Landing. We shared a wing platter with onion rings and left no piece of food unturned.
We returned to the beach and stayed out until dark.
I believe supper was BLT's with chips.

Saturday, Sept. 12
Checkout was 10 a.m. and we made it with a minute to spare. We normally stay in the area through lunch trying to enjoy every bit of vacation we can, but with my kidney stone situation we decided to head on down the road.
Lunch was at Popeye's Chicken then we got in the car and completed the final couple of hours home.

It was another memorable trip for our family that took on extra special meaning the night of Nov. 2/3.
I was watching my beloved Carolina Panthers take on the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday night football. Moments before Graham Gano's game-winning kick close to midnight, my cell phone rang and it was my mother. I knew it was odd for her to be calling me this late. Many times when she has called at odd times I have thought it was something bad. Thankfully, almost all of them have been good news. This particular call was not.
She informed me that Granny was taken to the hospital and it did not look good. She'd had a heart attack and a lot of damage had been done to her heart. I got in the car and left for the hospital. In the time it took me to arrive, she had passed.
I had controlled my emotions quite well until I saw my mom and aunt. We embraced for a minute and I was still doing pretty good. Then they said to me, “You did it. You got her to the beach one more time.” Yep. I lost it then. Dang it! My eyes are watery typing it now.
I am so thankful that I was able to give her one last thrill. We spent a lot of time sitting on the balcony together and without her knowing, I would just watch her taking it all in.
She was a special lady and I can only imagine the sights she now sees in heaven. Our beautiful Myrtle Beach does not compare.

Sorry for the length and lateness of the trip report. I just wanted to take the time and let you all know how special my family, and especially my Granny are to me. God bless you all!

A few photos from our trip: http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Tarhe ... ach%202015

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:25 pm 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your trip report. A trip to the beach always leaves one with a host of memories but yours this year will be forever precious. I could just picture your grandmother sitting on the balcony with a smile of contentment on her face. You will have that wonderful picture of her in your heart forever. It sounds like everyone enjoyed the trip. It is always great when a report includes pictures. Your kids are at a good age for enjoying a beach vacation. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:17 pm 

So sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing, but you have the best memories to hold forever.

Great report, thanks for sharing ! Love the before/after pics of Carolina Roadhouse ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:24 pm 

TarHeelboy wrote:
they said to me, “You did it. You got her to the beach one more time.” Yep. I lost it then. Dang it! My eyes are watery typing it now.
I am so thankful that I was able to give her one last thrill. We spent a lot of time sitting on the balcony together and without her knowing, I would just watch her taking it all in.

A few photos from our trip: http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/Tarhe ... ach%202015

I've always said that vacations are truly some of the best times in life. That's one reason that a yearly MB trip is a non-negotiable. I've got family members that have gone twenty + years without a vacation and I feel really bad that they are not willing to prioritize their decision making to allow time and money to go some where. I work extra jobs and save all year so my kids can have a vacation for childhood memories. I wouldn't trade my vacation memories for anything.

Thanks for the report and glad that your granny got to see that ocean again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:56 pm 
Site Admin

Zach, thank you so much for this trip review.

I am so sorry to hear about Granny, but you will always be blessed with the memory of your vacation time together. You made the right decision to bring her along and I know she appreciated it more than she could ever tell you. You had a wonderful relationship and will always have many, many good moments to remember. I know you will share Granny stories with Riley and Brody as they get older, so that she can live on inside their minds too.

Don't apologize for the length of this review. You are a good writer and you were able to draw us into your vacation.I loved reading every word.

It is too bad you had to go to the hospital, Was it Grand Strand on 82nd Parkway? Wherever you were, I hope the hospital did a good job.

Loved all the photos, but especially liked seeing the children at Ripley’s Aquarium. They were having a wonderful time!

Thanks again!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the wonderful trip report. I am sorry for your loss of your Granny...but I am sure you will treasure the memories of the beach trip you gave her. :sunny:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:12 pm 

Im sure your granny was so happy to be at the beach again.