Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:21 am 

pop2748 wrote:

Now. I'm going to bring up ol' Tommy Smothers. You know....His "she liked you best" routine.
Well.....
Patrish likes Emmy best......
I didn't get to drive golf cart.
Didn't sit in it.
Didn't touch it.
Didn't see it.......
She likes Emmy best.....

It's because you say stuff like "Turned phone upside down and Emmy's hair didn't move" :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:23 am 

Sun n' Fun wrote:
pop2748 wrote:

It's because you say stuff like "Turned phone upside down and Emmy's hair didn't move" :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

It's a gift........

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:09 pm 

FYI...I love being bored at the beach! Seriously, sounds like good times to me...other than Ruann falling asleep and getting a tad too much sun...I guess we all snore and wake up with a snort on the beach...shouldn't be embarrassed...all us folks of a certain age do it...but our kids do still laugh at us...oh well!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:50 am 

Thursday:
Driving out Wed night I realized exactly how far it was to Golden Griddle. We walked a lot farther the other day than I realized.
This morning we walked back out to Golden Griddle. Omelet and biscuits and gravy. She said the biscuits and gravy were great. Definitely not out of a can or franchise mix like Bob Evans.

Another stroll along Main Street. Another realtor. More condos and houses we'll never be able to afford. Stopped at shop and bought her bird wind chime. No idea where she'll put it. She's off my back......Win, win.......
Shop is actually two stores. Old gas station. One is a craft, antique, second hand store. Other is produce stand. Might consider buying produce there our next trip vs up at store.

Back to building and on the beach by noon. Another full day of reading.
Place has most strict smoking policy of any we've stayed at. One room on 7th floor with ion(?) filter system and an outdoor section of patio down by Coconut's. Ruann has made friends on her smoking trips.

Couple has been sitting near us most days on beach. Couple days he's had a kite flying. Today a big box kite. I noticed beer cans hanging off the string. Holds string tight? Airplane warning? Bird deterrent? Late in day I couldn't hold back curiosity any longer and asked "What the heck.....?"
They alternate beach trips between MB and Outer Banks. Kites are big deal up Outer Banks. Years ago string was stretched straight across beach so they hooked cans to it to keep people from walking into it. Now it's just something they do as a tradition. As they drink beer they hook empties to the string and let it out a little farther.

Debated dinner. In or out. One night we need to clean fridge. Bike Week has really picked up today. Decided to go out tonight and hunker down tomorrow night.
Avoided going south. Back up to Basil's. No complaints other than now we have half a pizza in fridge along with other leftovers.....

Back to building and spent some time watching bikes cruise up and down Ocean Blvd.
Bike Week observations:
Harley's seem to be growing in popularity. Maybe as many as a third compared to the crotch rockets.
Maybe the same ratio of women vs men riders.
More groups. Not gangs but bike clubs. Their "colors" on vests and jackets. City ordinance says no towels from balconies but seeing several club banners hanging from rooms at Avista.
Haven't seen any of the bad behavior that we always hear about.
The numbers and the traffic changes the entire beach vibe of trip. The noise is a nuisance. High pitch rev of the Jap bikes along with the roar of the Harleys combined with the BOOM BOOM of stereo speakers. Really isn't that bad on ocean side of building so you know where we're at.......

Jan and Mike can relate to this. They stay next to Avista. Avista parking building sits second row.
Streets around it are lined with trailers. Dozens of bikes in the parking building.
15-20 people congregating around the building entrance. Constant stream of bikes entering and exiting. Stopping to talk. Traffic has to stop on Ocean Blvd.....It's like watching a bee hive.......

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 8:42 am 

Friday:
Phrase never heard at the beach.
Thank God It's Friday.....

Yep. Last day. Quick breakfast and on the beach at 10:00. High Tide around noon.
Walk down beach people watching. Always something new to see.....
Guy putting up umbrella. Had a long screw in anchor. Dug deep hole. Jammed into bottom of hole as far as he could. Hammered it a little farther. Then buried it........Never twisted it a single turn........

Talked some with new friends. The retired teachers from Athens, Ohio. Through the years bought three timeshares at Maritime. This trip they have two back to weeks. Another week later in summer.
The kite flying couple from Lenoir, Va. Like us it's last day. Think he and I hit last beer at same time realizing it signaled end of vacation.
Moment of silence........

After eight hours out we headed in. Did hit hot tub one last time but it wasn't hot. Wish health department would stay out of some things.
Leftovers. Very little to throw out. Couple trips to truck getting a jump on loading in the morning.
Would stand by street watching the bikes. Not as many as Thursday night. Maybe festivities to the south. Were some nice ones. The lights on some are pretty after dark. Ones with wheels completely lit look like wheels are spinning backwards as they go by. Not a big fan of the Harleys with the tall skinny wheel on the front but some either have lights on them or they're mirror finish chrome. Nice. Tried getting pics and videos but nothing came out right.

Last trip to truck in the morning. Sun out. No clouds. Looked nice. Perfect beach weather.
Guy asked me to help load his bike. Asked why he was leaving early. Forecast was 2-4 inches of rain from Bonnie. He was from Bennettsville and been there done that. If they got half that rain a lot of bikers would be leaving and he didn't want to be in that mess.
Another of my people observations. Two straps. A pull type with locking buckle on one side and a ratchet strap on the other. Following his instructions. Two of us pulled, strained and jerked on the pull strap getting it just as tight as possible. A simple one handed click of ratchet strap on other side would have accomplished same thing.

Drive home uneventful. 7 1/2 hours.
Daughter had checked house during week and said fleas were bad. Not unusual when we leave for a week. A quick spray and good as new before dogs come home.
Not this time. We're talking horror movie infestation. Sprayed twice so far. Put big dent in situation. Hope to have it under control before we get dogs this afternoon.

For us. Great trip. Very relaxing. Now to start count down to Sept trip.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:54 am 

pop2748 wrote:
Friday:
Phrase never heard at the beach.
Thank God It's Friday.....

Think he and I hit last beer at same time realizing it signaled end of vacation.
Moment of silence........

I hate Friday at the beach. I can never enjoy the last day just because I know that it will be a full year before heading back and the day pretty much consists of preparing for the trip home. Even the beer just isn't the same on that day. :cry:

Enjoyed the much needed trip report. Glad that bike week didn't seem to ruin the trip. Lots of suggestions saying to avoid that week, but it sounds like it had very little impact on your stay.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks so much for the trip review, Alan! So glad we got to see y'all while you were here.

Golf cart? Next time. Remind me. Be more straightforward like Emmy: "Well we're here. Lets go for a golf cart ride!"
Kidding, but honestly we just don't think of it.

Glad you had such a good vacation. We're looking forward to seeing you in Sept.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:28 am 

Epic trip report..... sibling rivalry at it's best ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:24 pm 

I enjoyed reading your trip report as always. Thanks so much for sharing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:39 pm 

Always like your reports.