Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: January-April 2016.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:31 am 

We spent a few months down in North Myrtle Beach this winter. It isn't practical for me to do a play by play as we are there too long so I thought I would do a few highlights and mention a few new dining experiences.
We have a group of snowbirds we chum around with. On Monday nights we went to Boardwalk Billy's for trivia. We have about 24 folks in our group and sometimes the number swells when people have company and they join us. For that reason we broke into two teams for trivia. It was really a fun night! They had an announcer that would read the questions but they were also visible on the tv screens throughout the place. This was a great way to do trivia as you could ponder over your answer before submitting it before the time deadline. Some weeks we did well and other weeks, well not so much but every week we had a blast.

The gang also went to Overtime Sports Bar for trivia on Tuesday nights. Only about half of the gang went and we only went once. They didn't have the questions and answers on the tv screens but instead just announced them over the p.a. System which was very poor quality. It was difficult to hear some of the questions. At the end of our stay, after several weeks of complaints they finally improved the system but we didn't participate. The gang that went had a good time but we stuck to just going to Boardwalk Billy's on Monday night as we liked the format and the food much better.

The gang had a windup golf tournament. Dave and I don't golf. There are a few others who don't either but we were invited to the dinner anyway. They had a huge prize table and everyone enjoyed a choice from it even if you didn't golf. A few of the girls organized everything and we had a great night. It was held at the back part of The Grill House. It is located at the Lowe's plaza in North Myrtle Beach. We had never been before and were pleasantly surprised. They had great early bird specials. We had flounder and it was delicious and we would definitely go back.

We made a day trip down to Charleston with my sister and daughter when they were visiting. Always a great day! We had lunch at The Crab House right by the market. Our lunch was awesome! My sister and I ordered the seafood trio and Dave and our daughter had salmon. All the meals were exceptional and the service was great too. Thank you to our waitress Ms. B.

We took in a couple of music fests at La Belle Amie winery. Always a great way to spend the day. My sister and daughter loved it the day they joined us.

Another new place we tried for dinner, on friends recommendations, was Sea Merchants Restaurant on Hwy. 17 in North Myrtle Beach. We have driven past this place for 12 years and it would never occur to us to stop here. My friend called it rustic and believe me that is a stretch! I actually thought it was closed. Well it was our biggest dining surprise of the season. It was awesome!! It is very "rustic" even inside but the food was amazing. Dave and I both had the filet mignon with crab and scallops and it was to die for. The steak was done perfectly and huge for a filet. Actually it was far too big for me but boy was it delish! We will absolutely go back to this spot and I would highly recommend it. It is located a few doors north of Dick's Pawn shop.

A group of us girls went to Wine and Design one afternoon to do a painting. They have a schedule with paintings they select but if there is a particular painting you wish to do you can have a private class if you can round up 10 willing participants. We wanted to do a painting of a pathway in the sand leading down through a wooden railing going to the ocean. The path had footprints and we all loved it. We scrounged around asking everyone we knew and ended up doing the class. Everyone enjoyed the day even if you had never painted before the end result was great and was only 2 hrs long. They supply everything you need and it is all set up so all you need to bring is the wine. What a fun day that was! Something really different and a nice keepsake to boot! It is located by Klig's Kites new location.

March was a really wonderful month as far as weather and we spent many, many hours down on the beach with friends. We all went down to the St. Patrick's festivities and had an awesome, sunny day watching the parade and taking in the vendors. A good time was had by all.

We had a family matter and had to leave on April 1st. We were to stay until the 16th and one thing we didn't get to was going to Putters. When you turn at the Alligator Adventure and head over the bridge apparently that is where it is located. All the snowbirds but ourselves and one other couple were leaving by April 1st. We were planning on going to Putters with the other couple on a Thursday night to try out an event they host. Apparently it is like Family Feud and sounded like fun. We were the guinea pigs to see if it would be something we could do next winter as a group. We will try it out next year for sure. Sounds like fun!

We had a wonderful winter. My sister had never been to Myrtle Beach before. I kept telling her she would enjoy it. When we were growing up we spent all summer every summer at our family cottage on Lake Huron. Dave and I moved here and raised our family here in Saugeen Shores. Our entire family loves the shore life and my sister is retired and on her own so we invited her down to Myrtle Beach for 2 weeks. I know none of the message board members will be surprised at this. She loved it so much she has booked a condo for next winter, just a couple of doors down from us, and can't wait to spend 3 months there next year and share it with her kids and grand kids. It truly is a piece of Heaven. We are booked for next winter as well and until then I will enjoy my time at home on the shores of Lake Huron and enjoy all the summer trip reports.

Post subject: Re: January-April 2016.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:31 pm 

It is unfortunate your winter get away was cut short but understandable due to the reason. Luckily you were there so long that it's another year of memories. You haven't said anything about snow when you arrived back home. As I recall, last year there were feet of it. A little less this year, eh? Glad you had a good trip, home safe and booked for next year. :mrgreen:

Ok, HBD

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:47 pm 

Glad you were able to spend time again in MB. Hope everything is okay back home. Sounds like you had a great time while there and thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Christine, than you for this wonderful trip review. I'm so sorry we did not get to see you and Dave while you were here. (But there is always "next time")

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:47 am 

Where do you stay?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:57 pm 

Don, we didn't come home to as much snow as last year but it has been really cold with blustery squalls several days. Thankfully that is done and it is beautiful and sunny now and is to continue for the weekend.
Patrish we look forward to seeing you and Wally next year. I had been looking forward to finally meeting Emmy and her hubby and that will happen too. :)
We stayed at Blue Water Keyes in North Myrtle Beach and that is where we are booked again for next year.
Everything at home has now settled down. Unfortunately we received a phone call, when in Myrtle Beach, that my Dad had been taken to the hospital. We packed up the next day and headed home. Unfortunately he passed away before we were able to get home. My father was 95 and had a wonderful life. He was never sick even at the end of his journey. He was raised in a happy family and that set the tone for the rest of his life. It is never easy to say goodbye to someone you love but knowing the life he had has brought us all peace.