Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:28 am 
Site Admin

Well we have finally completed our first day in MB :bounce: ! We got to Barefoot Landing around 11:30 yesterday, so elated after what seemed like a week to get down here :???: ! Combined total driving was about 17 hours! Loving the gas prices here!! Never thought I'd see prices under $2 ever again.
First stop at Barefoot was the Beef Jerky store! They have a lot of varieties and they also had the suckers with worms, bugs, and scorpions in them! Bought some suckers for the grandsons and a variety pack of sticks/jerky for Grandson Eddie Jr. who is minding our pets back home! He's going to freak when he sees it, has elk, ostrich, kangaroo, alligator, and a host of others! We were still a little burnt out from all of the driving, so we went to the Smokin' Hot Grill to grab a drink. Good choice, we each had a Black Betty, which had blackberry moonshine and was pretty tasty :drinkin: . We also ordered salsa and chips. I know, who in the heck orders that in a BBQ joint :roll: , but it was a great choice :cool: . I was still thirsty so I ordered a family feud which had Hatfield & MCoy moonshine!! Also very good!
We checked out Flying Fish, looks pretty nice, may go back this week and dine there! Anyway, off to the Olive Shoppe! We needed oil for home, so what better place to buy some, although it is a bit steep. Phyllis bought cracked pepper infused oil, blood orange oil, and white pear balsamic! We love this store, just for the available options! Lastly it was to River Street Sweets for pralines. No chocolate pralines, are you serious??!! Girls said they don't sell well, I think they were just too lazy to make more! New deal is, buy a pound, get a half free, so we bought the traditional ones. Also got 1/4 # taffy free(15 pieces)! Left happy :clown: ! Looked around a bit more, wasn't impressed with the Boardwalk Coffee House!
Decided to head to BATB to get my chocolate pralines! They were concerned that their sister store did not have them. This store though, gave us a hard time about the free taffy! Finally a young lady stepped in and made things right, although this was only 13 pieces :wink: !
OOPS! Time for breakfast, gotta go :bounce: !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Loven' your review. Glad you got here, and happy we're having good weather.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:33 am 

So glad you made it safe!! Flying Fish has one on the BEST Happy Hours around. Great drink prices and the apps are like full size plates. Really good stuff!

Enjoy and keep us posted :wav: !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Patrish, glad you like my report, but I'll probably delete by mistake anyway :dontknow: ! Emmy, we had happy hour plates a Landry's last night, same thing, way too big portions!!!
After getting our pralines, we shopped a bit more, since it was still too early to check in. Bought a sign for our daughters two oldest boys "clothing optional after entering this room"! Probably a bit inappropriate for 14 year olds, but that's what grandpas are for :fart: ! Went to Del Sol for a few items for Sarah-Grace! Again, the clerk was an a$$ about the free tote, but finally gave in after he realized I was getting upset! Don't advertise crap. if you're not going to honor it!
Off to check in, and I had one request, and they ignored it :BandHead: ! Instead, they had us in the Plantation buildings, far from where we wanted to be! I was really pissed, especially since it cost us $19,000 to upgrade to the Palmetto development! They eventually gave us a room in the proper area, and we are pleased with the location!! Don't usually attend owners meetings, but something is happening with this resort, so we need to schedule a meeting to find things out!
OH! We did stop at the outside Margaritaville bar for a couple drinks before shopping! I had to no surprise, bloody marys and Phyllis had a Bahama Mama :drinkin:
After check in, we went back to BATB browsed a bit and then went to Landry's for happy hour! Calamari, fried pickles, and shrimp brochette were sooooo good, never disappoint with Landry's!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:51 pm 

The Flying Fish is great! I recommend going there. My parents and I just happened to stop in a couple of years ago and we've added it to our list of "must go" places when we're at the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:01 pm 

Love the live trip report and all the salacious details of seeking out free taffy ! :nanner:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

Well there you go, hit the wrong button and now I have to start this portion all over again :smash[1]: ! Kirk, not a big fan of taffy, but if they owe us taffy, they need to give us taffy!!!!! Grandkids will like it when we get home :wav: !
Anyway, a month or so ago, I won a $50 restaurant.com card, so I bought a $5 cert. for Victoria's Country Cookin' on 3rd Ave South. Restaurant was kind of run down, first table dirty, second one clean but wobbly as all get out! Ceiling tiles were terribly dirty. I asked for a tomato juice, which is on the menu, they had to see if they had any :roll: !! Started to really get concerned, but when the food came out, it was quite good! Popular place, but I probably would not go there again!
Not sure what to do today, so stopped at Captain Hooks to play mini-putt! Got to play both courses for $2 more per player! Last year, I lost my man card to Phyllis after she beat me every game we played except one. First course, she gets two hole in ones and beats me by 1 :boxing: !! Second course, I've got this :nanner: ! Then comes the 16th hole and I self destruct :shock: ! She wins again by 1! I hate mini golf :???: ! Back to the condo for a bit, and decided to suck it up and go to our owners session! Same old crap, not really much new, just trying to get us to update and pay them more money! Sales rep said he liked me, because he knew exactly where I stood. We did not upgrade and left $90 richer!!
Took a drive, and ended up at Flying Fish Market for late lunch! WOW, what a great place. We both chose the fresh fish lunch with Phyllis getting Cajun mahi mahi, and I got Cajun tilefish! Highly recommend this place!
Off to the Tanger outlets, bought shirts @ Northface, and of course purses @ Kate Spade :bellydancer[1]: ! My wife is a shopaholic, need to get her counseling :dontknow: :wink: . Back at the condo now resting before the meet up!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm 

I think Phyllis and I would get along great! She sounds like my kind of vacation shopper :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:48 am 
Site Admin

Recovering from the meet up last night! You can see my comments in the meet up forum! Great time!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Morning Myrtle Beach :wav: ! Off to Sea Captain's House for breakfast! Better this year, but I didn't get the crab cake benedict, just the buffet! Went exploring after eating, traveled all the way to Holden's Farm Market 10 miles north of the state border. Cleaner this year, but still disappointing, so we only bought some pickled okra and homestyle soap. Heading back south, pulled into Hawaiian Rumble to finally exact revenge on my wife. Yeah, this time I win :nanner: :nanner: :nanner: ! Had to check on something @ Barefoot, so stopped looked around a bit, grabbed a drink at TBonz and then to PGA Store! Phyllis forced me to buy a new driver, since Eddie broke mine :wink: ! Always some good deals at this store! Chilling at the condo right now, just got tickets to the One Show tonight!! Getting old, maybe I should take a nap :???:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:12 pm 

Fun, fun, fun! Enjoying your trip right along with you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:03 pm 

Sounds like you are having fun! Did you go to the owners meeting? They are changing the ownership to Sheraton Flex. It all sounded complicated (and a little scary- I hate change!) but in the end the flexibility is great! We bought into the new system because for an extra $12 a month we now own what equals a 2 bedroom AND a 1 bedroom in Plantation VS. a 2 bedroom unit.

Landmark Resort August 2005
Boardwalk Beach Resort July 2006
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2007, 2008, 2009
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2010
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2011, 2012, 2013
Sheraton Broadway Plantation August 2014
Sheraton Broadway Plantation June 2015

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:25 am 
Site Admin

Christine, this was the first time in a long time that we went to the owners meeting! I let them know flat out that I was not going to upgrade! Honestly, I didn't see any advantage for us to take the offer, quite happy the way things are right! My understanding is, with the new system, you do not own property, only points! I think this new system is why they tried to give us a unit we did not own or want! If we just had points, w would have been stuck with what they gave us! Never, never, never trust a timeshare salesperson :???: !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Well in my last trip report post, I said I should take a nap, so I took my own advice :cool: ! Feeling refreshed, we headed to Green's to se if they had moonshine for our son in law. They certainly did, and I was shocked how cheap booze is down here :shock: . In New York, we are taxed so bad, that we pay double the prices. Anyway, we decided to head back to the Flying Fish for happy hour, before going to the ONE show. This restaurant has become one of our favorites! Loved the oyster shooters, and the beer was ice cold :beerchug: ! Food was also extremely good, very happy :rastanana: ! Neither of us were super excited about going to the show, but once there, we had a super time. We haven't laughed so much in years. Really had a good time. Greatest moment was when they had us veterans stand to honor and then do a tribute to America! The whole place stood during the tribute, it was a mega goose bump moment, and something I will remember the rest of my life! With all of the sh*t going on with this country, it was rewarding to see so mush patriotism! Proud to be a veteran, proud to be an American, and God Bless American!
Today is our 43 anniversary, so we're trying to plan the day. Reservations @ the Flamingo Grill tonight, with Patrish & Wally :hello:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:16 pm 

Have a wonderful anniversary dinner. You can't beat the company!