Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SURFSIDE TRIP AUG 2015
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:23 pm 

Finally the day arrived! We left this morning around 8:30am. We made great time...stopping at Cracker Barrel in Mineral Wells, WV for breakfast. We had not been to Cracker Barrel for breakfast for a while and were glad to see they had some lighter breakfast options! We continued to make great time...until we got to a place on rt 64...past Mocksville, NC...the road was closed and police were rerouting everyone...Apparently there had been an accident and the road had to be closed...and I do hope the people involved are OK. we went up RT 801(I think) to Advance, NC...and stopped at a tiny store across from the town fire department...Several very gracious people gave us directions to get back to 64 on the other side of the accident...it added about 45 minutes to our trip...but it would have been worse if we had gone back up to Winston Salem and I-40... we finally arrived in Rockingham,NC and are staying at the Holiday Inn Express...We ate at Zaxby's...first time...it was good...I had the fried chicken salad and Terry had wings...regular food...no complaints...lol we were starved!

Hopefully, more tomorrow...onward to Myrtle Beach...to stay the night at BATB Holiday Inn...this is just tradition for us...arrive on Friday and spend the evening walking around BATB...it is always hot...and crowded...but fun for us...the mood of people is usually great ...because most are just starting their vacations.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Admin

>...the mood of people is usually great ...because most are just starting their vacations....
Yup, it usually takes a few days for everyone to get grumpy. Just kidding. :clown:

Sorry about the traffic tie-up but agree it could have been worse. Hope you are now safely at the beach and enjoying the day!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:43 am 

http://myfox8.com/2015/07/30/wreck-involving-tractor-trailer-reported-on-highway-64-in-advance/
I live about a half hour from Mocksville. It was indeed a pretty serious wreck. Sorry you had the delay. Hope the rest of your trip is great. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:37 pm 

I am wishing you a sunny beach stay :) Looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:55 pm 

Yay! You made it!! Have a wonderful time and keep us posted!! :sunny: :sunny:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:53 pm 

We are settled in our beach place for the week! Yay! Yesterday was a travel day...we were not far from the beach. Rockingham is a good place for us to stay...onlyabout 8 hours from home...we headed out around 11:00am...stopped @ Bennettsville at the Huddle House...none of these close to us...so we enjoy the breakfasts there...continued on to Aynor for a brief stop...at the visitors center(the one with the blue roof)...I am sure we annoy the workers there because we only stop to use the restrooms...traffic was moving smoothly...surprisingly...and we were at the HIE @ BATB in no time...relaxed for a while...then headed out for BATB...it is a short walk...but we drove because rain was threatening...walked around and ate a delicious meal at Landry's...Terry had steak...and I had the crab cakes...food was GREAT! and the service was perfect...and it was nice and cool in there...walked around some more...no big purchases...Terry bought a hat and some firefighter t-shirts...me, I am waiting to spend my money later in the week...it did rain but it was more like a warm drizzle...we got wet but it felt good...back to the room to call it a night...

Saturday dawned sunny and HOT...again...we are pretty lazy...and we knew we would not get into the house before 4pm...headed out around noon...walked around BATB again...to kill time...we wanted to catch a movie but the one we wanted to see...MISSION IMPOSSIBLE...did not start until 12:30...and we wanted to eat and get groceries...so we set out for Surfside...surprise, again...we cruised right on down 17 bypass, 544, and 17 business...no backups...we ate at the SUNDOWN sports bar...I ate a really, really good rueben sandwich, Terry had a philly cheeseteak...we both had onion rings...regular bar food but hot and good...and again the AC there works great! Next on the agenda was the annual trip to the PIGGLY WIGGLY...love that store...even if it is pricey...not too many people...and by the time I was done it was 4pm ...so off to OLD COLONY REALTY we went...the house was ready...so we drove there and did the unloading...ok...so this year it is just Terry and I at our rental...none of the kids were able to come this year...but when they come it is really nice to have all that young muscle to carry stuff into the house...oh well!
The linens had been delivered...and the golf car as well...we are set...

We did not do much...just got the house set up...relaxed a litlle...then took a golf car ride up to SOPHIA'S...across from the Surfside Pier...Chili cheese dog for me...grilled ham & cheese and fries for Terry...Then of course ice cream...watched the traffic and people coming and going...then back to the house...now we are both playing on our chromebooks! It is great...being able to do essentially nothing but what we want for a few days!

I can not wait to get up tomorrow to talk my first beach walk for this trip...then head out for a day at the beach!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:37 am 

Going to the Surfside piggly wiggly just before check in is what we do too. It's much better than having to fight the Walmart crowds and if you go before check in instead of after its usually not crowded. Enjoy your trip in Surfside.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:44 am 

Loving your report!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:49 pm 

Sunday was perfect for my beach walk! I was really shocked at how many people were on the beach with tents set up before 8:00 am...Surfside can be crowded but this was beyond what I had ever seen in the past 5 years...tracked down the lifeguard and rented our umbrella and chairs...there was only one spot to put them...it was right next to the lifeguard chair...this lifeguard, as most that work in Surfside was from Russia...here for the summer and attends university in Moscow...He has been really nice...all the guards we have met over the years have been so nice...I enjoy talking to them about their homes in Russia...last years guard was actually an American...who lived in Surfside with his parents...he was equally as nice.

Umbrella rented...walk continued...got back to the rental...got ready to spend a few hours at the beach...nice hot sunny day...but crowded on the sand and in the water. Families having fun...kids playing...it was great! We decided to eat in Sunday night...so it was Kielbasa, Mac & Cheese, and Bushes baked beans, and salad...easy and quick.

Of course then we HAD to go for a golf car ride...and conveniently stop again at Sophia's for ice cream...Milkshake for me and root beer float for Terry...simple pleasures!

Monday dawned cloudy...but no rain...so good enough to walk...headed south towards Garden City...lots of walkers/runners taking advantage of the early morning cooler temps...then off to relax by the sea for a few...got a few good hours in then the clouds and storms started to roll in...I gathered up my things and started to head back...Our rental CAFE MOCHA is not oceanfront but it is just a short walk...straight down from the beach access...sprinkling when I left the beach...heavier by the time I reached the driveway...the rain felt good...Funny thing ...just as I was walking in the door Terry was ready to come out to the beach...he is not as much of a beach lover as I am...so he only stays on the beach for short stretches...anyway he missed it for that day...we spent the rest of the afternoon poolside...it was so nice...we decided to go to the Big D theater at BATB...to see MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION...it was good...action packed...and of course Tom Cruise...I will say the volume at the theater was really loud...so you felt like you were right in the movie...

Johnny Rockets for quick burgers and fries...then back to Surfside...then the real storms rolled in...stormed most of the night...

Tuesday morning...still cloudy...but got a good walk in...no beach today...tide was really far in and the waves looked rough...no one was in the water...came back and caught up on some computer work I needed to do...

We went to dinner at Angelo's this evening...We always enjoy this meal...and it is always steak that we choose to eat...we love Angelo's...it is not far from Surfside and we had no wait at 5pm even though the parking lot was full...We had the same waiter we have had several times...he always makes the meal a pleasant experience!

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunshine all day...you know where I will be... :sunny:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Love your live postings! Today should be perfect for anyone who loves lots of sun, and I'll bet you're out there soaking it in right now.

Meanwhile, we locals (at least yours truly) are looking forward to a fun-filled day of finding a replacement battery for my UP watch, going to Costco for Wally's favorite cereal which is on special, and other equally exciting errands.

So I'm looking forward to your next installment! Enjoy this beautiful day! :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 am 

Great report, love them LIVE from the beach !

Thanks !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 pm 

Patrish...too funny...we have so many days at home filled with ordinary things!

I like doing the daily report thing...getting older means I better tell my tales right away...or they might be forgotten!

Yes, other than a short walk this morning...my day was spent oceanside! The tide was out when I got to our spot around 9:30am...so i got to spend some time shell hunting...found a few...but I was surprised at all the little fishies swimming around as the waves receded...I am not knowledgeable about fish so I do not have a clue what they were...but I almost wish I had one of those little nets all the kids were using to catch the fish. Terry came out later around noon...He had to bring me my kindle which I had left at the house in my eagerness to get to the beach...I am reading CHOOSING CHARLESTON by T.Lynn Ocean...good read so far!
My day consisted of sun/shade/ water...all day...except for one walk back to the house...to make some sandwiches for lunch...picnic on the beach...which I love,,,Terry not so much...but he puts up with me...poor guy...

I stayed out until about 3:30pm...the breeze was great...then we decided we were ready to eat some really unhealthy fried seafood...So we went to Lee's Inlet kitchen in Murrell's Inlet...let me just say we started with the large onion rings...massive plate full...they were awesome...we, also, ordered creek shrimp and baked potatoes...really delicious! The portions were HUGE and we took two boxes home of what we could not consume...I thought they were gonna have to roll us out in a wheelbarrow...It was not cheap...but service and food was awesome...we will return!

Stopped ar the LAZY GATOR just up the road from Lee's...walked around to digest our food some...but I did find a cute VERA BRADLEY purse!
Back to Surfside and our nightly cruise around town...no ice cream tonight...too full!

Tomorrow should be more of the same... walk and beach...but we will be eating lighter...after our gluttony tonight!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:23 am 
Site Admin

Lee's Kitchen is always a good choice. Far from cheap, but always good.

Glad you're having such nice weather, although I'm ready for it to cool down. Hot! Hot! Hot!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:38 am 

ohiojo wrote:

Stopped ar the LAZY GATOR just up the road from Lee's...walked around to digest our food some...but I did find a cute VERA BRADLEY purse!

Your trip sounds so wonderful so far!! I have never been to Lazy Gator but I have always wanted to...Vera's huh, now I have to go :hello: :hello:

Thanks so much for taking the effort to write us daily! Love following along!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:21 am 

It has been really hot but after the rainy June/July we are still enjoying it...sorry Patrish!

Emmy...Lazy Gator has an entire section with tons of Vera Bradley items...more than they have had in previous years...it was great! The store is almost right across from Drunken Jacks in Murrells Inlet.

No walk this morning. we are off to explore Brookgreen Gardens...we have been there before but did not visit all the parts of it...storms predicted for later...