Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:48 am 

By 11:00 am on July 11th I had finished actual duties at work so I spent the last 30 minutes at work surfing this message board. Once I got home the real work for the day began. First on the list was putting the car top carrier on the Trailblazer then loading the golf clubs and beach supplies. This took about an hour and I was now 90 minutes from my 3:00 pm target departure time. Next was the luggage inside the vehicle. This was a bit tight but I managed to get it all in. The final item was to leave the list for the house/pet sitter. Even with a few last minute minor surprises we still managed to roll out by 3:30 pm. Image

Friday afternoon Northern Cincinnati traffic can be brutal and today was no exception. There was a major music festival downtown along with a Reds game so things were slow going on I-71 South through downtown. After some minor stress we finally were free and clear by 4:30 pm. We made great time and hit our overnight stop in Newport Tennessee by 9:00 pm.

After a 6:00am wakeup call we hit our usual Saturday morning breakfast at Cracker Barrel in Newport Tenn. Traffic all the way to the beach was much better this year as compared to last year. Last year we were about 90 minutes later in the day and I believe that was the major factor. We rolled up to the Condo offices at 1:30 pm. Sadly our condo was not ready and they stated they would need to call. We decided to have lunch at Finn McCool’s to kill some time. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich while the others ordered a variety of traditional “bar food” items. My son’s chicken wings looked pretty good. One of their signature items is their Saratoga chips. These are basically seasoned thick potato chips. They were good but nothing too special. They must have been a bit short handed in the kitchen because it took a long time for our food to arrive. We didn’t finish eating until nearly 3:30 pm. I called about the condo but was told it was still not ready. We then decided to pick up a few of the necessities from Kroger. Once finished I still had not received a call about the condo and it was now after 4:00 pm. My wife made me wait in the car while she tried to talk them into letting us into the condo. She had success and by 4:30 we were finally moved into Pelican’s Watch for the week. :hello:

Our condo was on the second floor, ocean front which also overlooked the pool. After watching the end of the World Cup consolation match we hit the beach and pool area for the evening. We stayed out enjoying snacks and cold beverages :beerchug: with another Ohio couple who were also staying on Shore Drive. The fireworks on the beach were very impressive. We all felt like the actual fireworks seemed even larger this year. We also wondered if perhaps Ocean Annie’s pays someone to shoot them off. The display always seems to be located directly out from there building. Anyway, it was a relaxing first evening.

All but once on Shore Drive

Last edited by golfforetom on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

Wow....what a long trip. I wish they could have had your condo ready earlier. You must have bee dragging by the time you got settled in! Love the Shore Drive area! Looking forward to hearing more. How's your condo?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:40 am 

Sunday began with a favorite activity for many of us, sitting on the deck drinking coffee watching the waves. The weather was perfect, light breeze and waves just large enough to enjoy in the water. Here was the view that morning.

We headed to the beach early and claimed a few chairs by the pool as well as a spot on the beach with our umbrella and beach chairs. With the tent ban in effect there was a large number of umbrellas set up. It actually looked rather nice with all the different colors spread out just behind the life guard chairs. High tide was 8:30 am so people were able to spread out through the morning hours.
Our beach routine involves us moving between the sand and the pool depending on our mood. We keep the snacks by the pool and a separate cooler of beverages on the beach. We don’t spend as much time riding waves as we used to. I now find I’m just as happy sitting in a beach chair reading a good book or people watching. I was careful and spent a lot of time under the umbrella during our first full day. I have on many occasions ended up badly sunburned after day one.
Late afternoon we headed back to the condo to watch the World Cup final and have dinner. We decided just to fix spaghetti and meatballs at the condo. It’s amazing how something so “everyday” tastes so good while on vacation. We finished eating rather late so we just hung out at the condo and the beach again that evening. I wanted to rest up because Monday was the first golf day of the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:54 am 

Thanks so much for letting us come along on your vacation! Your beach photo is gorgeous! Can't wait to read more!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:08 am 

Cant wait to hear more :nanner:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 am 

I was the first up on Monday so I was back to the porch with coffee and the view. The boys rolled out of bed around 8:30 and seemed ready to golf. We picked up our fourth player who was staying just down Shore Drive at Maisons-sur-Mer. We had a 9:50 tee time at Arcadian Shores.
We choose Arcadian Shores each year because it’s the closest to the condo. They have been working on improvements to the course a lot over the past few years and the conditions were nice. The only downside was the heat. Today was definitely hot and humid. There was a point on the back nine were I almost considered stopping because I felt so over heated. After another bottle of water I managed to finish up the last six holes. (What a trooper!) The round was $48 per person which includes cart. I imagine I could have found a better rate had I used one of the many golf package services. The one downside is you have to pre-pay with the golf packages and you risk playing in bad weather. The weather forecast was iffy for Monday so I chose to pay a bit more for normal reservations.
Now after a steamy round of golf there is no better feeling than that moment you hit the pool water back at the condo. We stayed pool side for the afternoon then we headed out for an early dinner at Bimini’s.
Bimini’s is my all time favorite at Myrtle Beach. I feel their seafood is as fresh as any I have ever had. Many people tell me they don’t like the bar atmosphere or the picnic tables. To me, if you can give me sautéed scallops that good I would eat them (to quote Dr. Seuss) in a box with a fox.
They have increased their prices since last year. My usual scallop and shrimp combo is now $21.95. It was worth every penny as I was very satisfied again this night. Other items consumed included the steam pot shared by my wife and son. Fresh grouper with shrimp and a crab cake dinner finished off our tables selections. Most all items were excellent with only the crab cakes receiving average marks.
We finished off the evening shopping at Barefoot Landing with a quick stop at Books a Million to pick up some more beach reading material. The night ended back at the condo watching the end of the All-Star Home Run Derby. Another wonderful day was complete.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:30 pm 

Tuesday morning’s weather looked a bit cloudy. The kids were worn out from a late night on the beach so my wife and I headed out to the beach on our own. It was rather cloudy and windy with rather rough waves. We stayed mainly in our chairs at the edge of the water. It was early afternoon when the weather took a turn for the worse. Storms do roll in quickly.

Here's proof:

We gathered up our stuff and headed back up to condo to escape the rain. We fixed dinner in the condo this evening with baked bbq chicken and rice. Again the food just seemed to hit the spot. Later that evening we met our friends at Flip Flops to watch the All Star Game and enjoy a few cold beers. Flip Flops was crowded with a band playing on the patio. There were no seats outside so we picked a table by the TVs. We didn’t order any food so I can’t give a review. It looked like basic bar food to me. We stayed till the end of the game then called it a day.
Wednesday was a rainy start of the day so we took a bit of a break in the morning. A second trip to Kroger was in order to restock for the rest of the week. Due to on and off rain we decided to head out early for dinner. We hadn’t had California Pizza for a few trips so we decided on head to the California Pizza Game Zone in the Kroger shopping center. This place was rather loud as we walked in but we asked to be seated away from the game area. We ordered a large Buffalo Chicken Pizza and their Hawaiian (minus the coconut and dates.) Both pizzas were excellent and they didn’t stand a chance because all five of us were hungry.
After dinner we hit Broadway at the Beach for a little evening shopping. I noticed that all the shopping areas were very crowded and most everyone was spending money. There were lots of shoppers with numerous bags of merchandise. Good news for the Myrtle Beach economy. We were now heading into the home stretch of this vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm 

WOW! That meal looks awsome!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:31 pm 

Thursday morning meant round two of golf. I picked Azalea Sands for the price. My expectations were not high as far as course conditions. Their rate is only $28 including cart which is hard to pass up. I was surprised to find the course in decent shape. Again this is definitely one of the lower end courses in the area but for the price it was worth adding to my “courses I have played” list. The course was crowded and play was just a bit on the slow side. The weather was much cooler this day as compared to Monday so the little bit of waiting was really not a big deal. I struggled a bit with my game which resulted in my son beating me for 18 holes for the first time in his life. It was bound to happen sometime.

A par 3 at Azalea Sands:
After golf we briefly hit the pool. Thursday was our early dinner day at the House of Blues. The restaurant portion is called Crossroads at the House of Blues and the food is excellent. The past two years I have used a $50 gift certificate that I bought on Restaurant.com at a much reduced rate. I had a NY Strip Steak which was excellent. I could have been happy with the mashed potatoes they served with it. It was so good! My wife had shrimp and grits again, my son also had the steak , my daughter and my son’s friend each had burgers. All the food was fantastic. We also ordered the bread pudding and some chocolate cheese cake for desert.

It was as good as it looked.

We headed back to the condo for the night. One full day remained.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:31 pm 

The weather cooperated for our final day. As is our custom, we spent the majority of the day on the beach. It was a bit breezy and the waves were on the rough side. High tide was not until 1:30 pm this day so the beach was rather crowded. I mainly spent the day people watching since I had finished my book on the rainy Wednesday. We stayed out till around 3:30 pm before it was time to clean up for dinner.

It was family choice for dinner and I was happy to hear that Bimini’s was where we were headed. I decided to order the Grouper in place of my shrimp. The Grouper was wonderful, light and fresh tasting. Everyone was pleased and full after dinner. It was a great way to end the week.
The boys wanted to go play the Cane Patch Par 3 course after dinner. I let them go after they helped me load the car top carrier. They only needed their wedge and putter so the rest of the clubs and bags could be packed away.
While they were away we began the sad task of packing and clearing out the condo. This took most the evening and by 9:30 I was calling it a night. We were getting up at 3:00 am to depart the next morning.
3:00 am arrived and after the final packing and cleaning we were on the road by 4:00 am. My wife drove until just south of Spartanburg SC then I took over the remaining rainy drive back to Ohio. I think it rains every time I drive through the mountains on I-40. We live just north of Cincinnati near the Kings Island amusement park. As I pulled in the driveway at 3:30pm the car hit the 700 mile mark for the day. Quite a long drive.
As my family gets older our activities have changed. Golf has replaced putt-putt golf. We now spend more time on the beach than at any shopping center or show. The past 15 years we have always rented a three bedroom unit. It appears we may be able to downsize to a two bedroom unit in the near future. This does open up more options in the area but I miss having the kids along.
We haven’t made any plans for next year yet but I think heading back to Myrtle Beach is a good bet. (Just look at my past record.) I do know in the summer of 2016 we hope to head to Hawaii. Till our next vacation I will just have to get through by reading the other trip reports on this site.
I hope you all also have wonderful vacations at the beach.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:39 am 

Great report. You enjoyed three of my favourite things in life. Seafood, beach and baseball. I have heard of Biminis on this board before but after seeing your pictures we will need to try it. Shows what a difference pictures make. Wow that was quite the storm cloud picture. It sounded like you enjoyed your golf and the beach. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:35 pm 

Great report...I loved traveling along...storms do roll in quickly...a few time we have been caught in the rain walking back to the house...we have even stopped under other beach houses to wait out a storm...thank goodness no one has ever minded...We have never been to Biminis but your food picture looked delish! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 pm 

Loved your report and I especially loved the pics. I even shared your golf pics with Doug :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

What is it about a trip report that turns our Myrtle Beach fans into prolific professional writers and award-winning photographers? Something in the seafood? What a WONDERFUL report with FANTASTIC photos.

I love this! I just grinned my way all the way through, and I was wishing you had stayed longer just so I could see more pictures!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:50 am 

Wonderful report! Thanks for taking the time to write it. We are practically neighbors!! We live in Landen. We have never taken the route down 75 to Tennessee and over,but are considering it after the awful traffic on 77 this year! Glad you had a nice vacation.
Melissa