Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pirateland 7/5-7/12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:33 pm 

Sorry for a little delay in the trip report. The week back from vacation has been hectic enough I feel like I need another vacation. The wife has asked for another but I don't see us squeezing it in before school starts back in just over 3 weeks.

We headed out of SW VA around 2AM on Saturday morning and arrived at Pirateland around 10:30. Due to the inlaws trading campers about 3 months ago, their original site they had reserved would no longer work with the size camper they have now. Luckily Pirateland had made them aware when they called to check and was able to work around this. So, for the first night we had to stay on a pull thru site before moving to our campsite for the rest of the week.

While most of us recuperated from the trip, my M-I-L and wife went grocery shopping and my daughters may have as well. The day mainly consisted of relaxation as we didn't do much around the camper since it would be moved again the next day. We checked out a few changes at Pirateland since it had been 3 years since my wife, daughters and I had been there. A little golf cart riding and meeting of friends my inlaws have made the past couple of years topped off a night with a little dinner of WalMart rotisserie chicken and various sides.

I apparently recuperated a little too well, although I have always been somewhat of an early riser for vacations, but I found myself awake at 5AM Sunday. I figured most would sleep in pretty late and decided to get up and take a walk up the coast. I must say, God didn't disappoint with the beauty he placed before my eyes as I walked toward the piers above Pirateland.

After returning back from my walk, I stopped by the bathhouse and noticed cornhole boards that featured both VA Tech and UT logos on them. Noticing that the tags on the vehicles around the RV had VA tags as well I knew they had to be from SW VA also. I decided to post a picture of the boards on Facebook with the mention of figuring it must be someone from back home. Not 20 minutes later my daughters former 1st grade teacher mentioned they were not only from near home, they were folks from the same county. It ended up being our county's voter registrar and family/in laws. Oddly enough he and I share the exact same name so I ventured over later that day and spoke with them a little bit. Turns out his father in law is very good friends with one of my uncles and they stay in Pirateland for 3 weeks at a time (lucky people).

A quick run to the campstore provided us with a breakfast of Krispy Kremes and the ability for us to watch closely for our new campsite to open up. I had a feeling we were in trouble when the people currently on the spot had SC plates. Sure enough, they waited til checkout time to be picked up and moved out. So, around noon we strategically placed golf carts and vehicles around the new campsite while my F-I-L brought over the camper to back it in. Luckily the extra space we had created by parking vehicles/golf carts made it a painless back in and setup. Thank you LORD. After an extensive setup of rugs and etc., and talking with the new friends the men folk made our normal trip out to Hudsons Flea Market and Perrys Bait and Tackle, while the ladies hit the beach. We had hoped to do a bunch of fishing this week but in the end that idea floundered.... :tongue3: My F-I-L did purchase some mud minnows and we headed back to fix supper and enjoy the rest of the evening.

Monday was made up of pool and beach time pretty much exclusively. We dabbled with fishing, but the same guys who had caught some nice flounder on Saturday when we got there were not having any luck, which seemed to hold true for us. After some early beach time my daughters wanted to check out the new kid friendly area Pirateland had put in at the pool replacing the basketball courts. They seemed enjoy it but luckily they didn't love it enough to where they didn't want to get in the lazy river. For me the lazy river is about as good as it gets for pool time. I could spend hours there if it isn't swamped with people and my torso ended up looking like I had been there for that long. :oops:

Tuesday consisted of a little beach time, but mainly BAB. Almost every time there my M-I-L insists on a trip to Johnny Rockets. Im normally not thrilled with the place but I will give them credit for a fine burger on this stop. We didn't spend near as much time at BAB as normal but still enjoyed our time there. I cant believe we didn't leave without any fudge from the Fudgery. That's a miracle and easy on my wallet for that not happening. The nephews wanted to get back early, as I had hoped to stay for the fireworks, but the nightly Pirateland golf cart parade were calling their socializing names. I will admit its a must, but they were up for one game of putt putt at Mt. Atlanticus while my M-I-L and F-I-L went back to the camper.

I will say this, Im not sure if Lakewood and Ocean Lakes have the unofficial golf cart parades as well but at Pirateland there is normally such a turn out that one circle of the main drag takes about 15 minutes to complete. Im sure its over 100 carts participating during these peak times. Young and old alike participate and one gentleman camping across from us had attached a bubble maker to the top of his golf cart that the young kids loved. That thing puts out some serious beach bubbles. Most decorate their carts in some fashion (I chose an inflatable Hippo at walmart since I had not seen anyone else with one) and music is blaring from most carts also. Although a few people own their carts down there, the quality of portable/Bluetooth speakers have allowed for quite the improvement (or detriment depending on your opinion) of atmosphere on the "parade".

Wednesday was more of the same. Relaxing beach and pool day, but after grilling some steaks for dinner it took an unexpected turn. My oldest nephew decided to hook his phone up to the stereo system on the camper which led to dancing around the camper and a gathering of the new friends at the campground. From old flatfooting to line dancing it seemed to take place. Didn't see that coming on this trip.

Thursday, abbreviated beach and pool time as it was the designated night to go to Crabby Mikes. My inlaws love the place while I have had mixed feelings in the past and generally like Original Benjamins better, but as most of you know, if you want to get ahead of the crowds and save a few buck you eat dinner early at these joints. With a 3:30 opening we left the campground by 3 and got in the line that was already forming to get in. I will say, this trip was very good for me. The waitress was very nice, and each item of food I got I enjoyed. I did realize all the time my mother placed into cracking crab legs for me as a kid after one plate and I decided to make sure I got my moneys worth out of peel and eat shrimp instead, along with numerous other gluttonous choices.

On Friday we tried to soak up as much of the beach as we could, but a steady rain didn't allow for much. I tried to get the wife to take one more trip out on the town that afternoon but she would have none of it. I made a trip out to fill up the vehicle and get a few items from Beach Life (went there twice on the trip and liked their quality of items and offerings better than Whales/Bargain Beachwears that we stopped at) before heading back to spend a little more time on the beach as the weather was clearing up. Unfortunately that also meant our trip was ending and the worst part of camping took place as well. The taking up of rugs and other items setup around the campsite so we have very little do when disconnecting and pulling out.

Needless to say, I wish I had I taken the golf carts back then, instead of waiting until we left Saturday morning also. If you were there on 7/12 you probably were aware of the storm that came through in the middle of the night. Well, our deal is always when the first person wakes up, we head out when camping. The storm woke my F-I-L up at 3 AM. I took one for the team and had my wife follow me in our Explorer while I returned our golf carts. Yes, plural. Needless to say I was soaked and the guards got a little kick out of it I think, and I cant say that I blame them when I returned the keys. Of course, less than 20 minutes later we had a break in the storm while we were finishing our disconnect. :BandHead: :BandHead: We had a safe easy drive back without weather issues to SW VA and our new found friends text us pictures of slightly flooded Pirateland from when they left at 7 AM. I guess the storm picked back up again after we left.

All in all it was another good trip to Myrtle. I wish we had took the time to stop by Creek Ratz or Drunken Jacks for some seafood and/or a burger at River City Café. Hopefully the opportunity will present itself to do so again soon.

Post subject: Re: Pirateland 7/5-7/12
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:46 pm 

Michael,

Wonderful trip report. Your pic made my heart skip a beat. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:44 am 

The sunset was a wonderful way to start your vacation. Beautiful! Pirateland sounds like a neat place. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:24 pm 

1inStripes wrote:
I will say this, Im not sure if Lakewood and Ocean Lakes have the unofficial golf cart parades as well but at Pirateland there is normally such a turn out that one circle of the main drag takes about 15 minutes to complete. Im sure its over 100 carts participating during these peak times. Young and old alike participate and one gentleman camping across from us had attached a bubble maker to the top of his golf cart that the young kids loved. That thing puts out some serious beach bubbles. Most decorate their carts in some fashion (I chose an inflatable Hippo at walmart since I had not seen anyone else with one) and music is blaring from most carts also. Although a few people own their carts down there, the quality of portable/Bluetooth speakers have allowed for quite the improvement (or detriment depending on your opinion) of atmosphere on the "parade".

Lakewood and Ocean Lakes both have the "golf cart parades". We stay at Lakewood annually, which we were there the same week as your trip. Saturday and Sunday was jam packed with gold carts. After the rest of the week, the parade moved along at a steady pace.

Now the parade at Ocean Lakes makes me want to :BandHead: . Campers can bring their own personal golf carts there unlike Lakewood and Pirateland. The times that we have been their visiting friends or family, you could hardly move due to the people on golf carts which is the reason we have never stayed there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:39 pm 

Great report! I get more excited for our trip as I read each one. We left one year at dawn after a big storm...high winds kept us awake most of the night...as we drove out of town we saw a lot of things strewn around. I guess I would not be a good candidate to ride out a hurricane! But it sounds like you had and enjoyable vacation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Michael, thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful trip report! I really did enjoy reading every word! It sounds like you and your family had a fantastic vacation.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:52 pm 

What a gorgeous sunrise photo! Thanks for the report. It sounds like you had a wonderful time :nanner:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:00 pm 

I loved the picture, thanks for writing.