Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am 

Sorry, crazy @ work yesterday!

Day 5: Hurricane!

Woke up rather early to put on the Weather Channel to track our friend's progress. Looks like we're going to be spared! Look outside to see gray skies and light rain. We'd planned earlier in the week to meet some friends from college who were staying in Ocean Isle and spend the day on their boat. That's definitely out, so we planned to meet up for lunch @ Casa Villa in Little River. After watching some massive bands of rain (but very little wind) from the balcony all morning, we headed that way. Not too many folks out on the roads, is that a sign? Met my friends who I haven't seen in 17 years and their kids and had a great meal and conversation over a few brews. Great Mexican food, if you're up that way. Still saw lots of rain, but again, no wind. Or at least what I would call wind, living in Chicago! After lunch we stopped at a Red Box and stocked up on movies since the day seemed to be a washout. We then headed back south, all the way to the Harley shop in NMB. My BIL was watching one of our dogs and he rides, so figured we'd at least pick him up a couple of shirts. They obviously weren't too worried about the storm either as they had all the bikes still sitting out front. Little more people on the roads at this point, so we cut down and took Ocean Blvd back to CG. The kids wanted to check out the conditions on the beach so...

Hard to tell from that pick, but there were some massive waves crashing about 50 yards out. Like full barrel tubes you see on the west coast. We were the only people on the beach as far as the eye could see except for one family playing football! It started to rain heavily again, so I didn't get a pic of them. Went back in and watched a movie. The rain had stopped at this point, so we ventured back to the beach. Still some really dark clouds, but starting to clear to the south!
Kids took the time to play.

See then sun starting to peek through? Good omen!

After an hour or so out there, we headed back in and watched a couple more movies and ate leftovers. Quiet night, no apocalypse!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:30 pm 

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm 

Great trip report! Loving the pics!

1993,94,02,08,09,10,11,12,13 & 17!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:00 am 

I tried to calm her by pointing out that no one from the Weather Channel was broadcasting from the Myrtle area. If you're on the beach and run into Jim Cantore, it's time to start worrying. [quote][/quote]One year friends of are rented a house on the Outer Banks.Jim Cantore and his family were vacationing at the house next door . The first time my friends husband seen him he ran back in the house yelling quick quick turn on the weather Channel what's going on. Jim Cantore is next door. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:33 am 

Day 6, July 4th!

Slept in until almost 10. After breakfast, brought a couple of chairs and the umbrella down to the beach to find it was the most crowded of our entire trip. I'm guessing a bunch of locals were there? Lots of families we hadn't seen before. Had to grab a spot behind everyone, but turned out not too bad. My dad/stepmom came over again to hang out. I'd been hyping the 1PM fly-over to the kids all week, so we were ready to see some cool planes. 1PM...nothing. 1:10... 1:20, finally see something coming, really high. 3 planes, so high you couldn't even see what they were. No one standing and flag-waving like the videos from years past. Most of the people didn't even look up. Was that it? Really? My son looks up from his hole in the sand, "well, THAT was disappointing!"
Maybe 10 min later, 4 more planes came by, still very high. You could see one was larger, like DC-9 size, the others were 2-seat fighters. Still, no reaction from the crowd. I could hear the Price Is Right "sad trombone" sound in my head. Oh well, back to more playing! The waves were nice and calm, no effects from the storm. Hardly any wind at all, so my dad and I got some Frisbee time in. Hadn't done that in awhile, and us old pros picked up right were we left off.

More Basil's for dinner! Just as good the second time.

Back to the beach around 7:30 to get ready for the fireworks. My son joined in a pickup football game with a bunch of other kids and me and the girls just sat and enjoyed the perfect evening weather. Really couldn't have asked for better conditions. Not windy, no humidity, perfect! Fireworks were great, but nothing spectacular. But the setting is definitely what made it. Pitch dark, with the pier and water lighting up with each explosion. All in all, another great night!

Didn't have time to add any pics earlier.
This is a terrible one of the fireworks, but it at least shows how it would light up the beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

Love, love, love your trip review! Great photos, too!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:15 am 

Thanks!

Forgot to mention the traffic leaving CG after the fireworks. Unbelievable. The condo is on 43rd, the cars were backed up both on Lake Dr and Ocean Blvd as far as I could see to the north. For at least 2 hours! Where were all these people parked? There really aren't many public places to park and all condo complexes are super strict and tow-happy. It was really crazy.

Day 6: Basically last day :cry:

Woke up as early as I could to get started. Decided to head down towards Boulineau's to get some coffee instead of making any. Oh boy, was that a mistake. I'd forgotten that Saturday was the day that 90 + % of the people were leaving. It took me 30 min to get to the gas station @ Duffy St and Sea Mtn. Made my way back to the condo to find everyone else awake and the line of cars leaving had grown past the condo on both sides, just like the night before. Now I know why my friends rent Sun-Sun!

Hit the beach by 10:30, hardly anyone out there! Everyone leaving, new folks not yet here. My son and I hit the waves and it was super rough again. Lifeguards had the red flags out. It was like the previous Sunday, waves crashing diagonally from North to South and current pulling HARD to the South. So we didn't go out over waist deep (for me). Still had a blast getting tossed around by the waves. I sear I instantly feel 12 years old again as soon as I get in the water. Teaching the boy how to flip over waves and dive under them brought back so many memories. I know my wife and kids got tired of hearing it from me, but I know they now understand why I love this place so much and why we've already started planning for next year! My wife has a sister and 2 brothers, and several cousins that all live near us. She was on the phone with them several times during the week asking if they want to come next year. I thought for a moment about a big house on the ocean that sleeps like 20, but then remembered how much I hate "wrangling" a crowd like that. We all went on a Disney Cruise to the Bahamas last year and it was great that the ship was so big and we hardly ever saw each other except for dinner (and since dinner was planned, there was no haggling over where we should eat). I think if they all want to come, we'll find one of those places that has multiple floors, each as a separate unit. I need my space away from everyone at some point. Or, we can come back to this condo for cheap and they can find other units in the building.

The girls only stayed out on the beach until lunch time and then more shopping. Really? How much shopping can they do? :wink: The boy and I built one last massive sand fortress and caught as many waves as we could until about 5. Then the worst part of the trip had to begin. Packing and cleaning. Ugh. Ate whatever was left in the fridge for dinner and started packing the SUV. Luckily, all the shopping they had done was for clothing and very small things, so I didn't end up wondering how it was going to all fit like on previous trips! We didn't go crazy and get it all done that night, didn't want to ruin the entire night! Hit the beach for another long walk before some TV time and bed. Not looking forward to the morning. :mad: That means leaving. Grrrrrrr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:13 pm 

That's how we are with our extended family. Everyone always wants to do a big trip like we used to years ago in the 90's, but staying in the same condo or large beach house is out of the question. Seeing them at the beach and dinner some nights is enough, plus to have a convoy of people on the way down is always awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:49 pm 

Day 7: Nooooooo!

I don't even want to type it, too sad of a memory. So, short and sweet it will be. Got up, finished packing SUV, final clean of all surfaces, left. Boooo! Although, none of the traffic from yesterday. It was is we were the only ones leaving, which actually sorta made it sadder. :cry: I want to go back. NOW.

The only traffic we even ran into in the entire trip home was due to a couple of toll booths in WVA. Other than that, smooth sailing. I do have to say I was amazed at how well my kids behaved on both trip down and back. Not always the case as I'm sure any brother/sister relationship is. They were also awesome the whole time @ the beach. I think I scored on this one. They agreed we had a blast and want to go back just as much as me. Both said several times that we should move to NC. Maybe I should start looking...

In the weeks leading up to the trip, my wife and I at least discussed so many things we could do while down there. Pelican's game, BATB, Barefoot, Boardwalk, tons of mini-golf, etc. We played min-golf once and didn't visit any of those places. Didn't miss a thing!

Thanks for joining me on our little family vacation!

Is it time to go back yet? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 am 

Thanks for sharing! It's always time to go back to the Beach in my book!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:48 pm 

Thanks for sharing. Great report! I enjoyed tagging along and pictures always add so much to a report.