Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: June 21 -28 Compass Cove
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:36 am 

Well, returned yesterday from another fabulous week in Myrtle Beach!!!!! First and foremost, I want to thank everyone on here that suggested the Compass Cove Resort, we could not have been happier with this resort, and the kids have decided that there is no need to look for any other place to stay from now on, they want to come back here next year. We stayed in an ocean view double efficiency in the Pinnacle building. It was a great room, full size kitchen, lots of room, a north facing balcony and a west facing window, so lots of light and with no high rise right beside us, you could see very far down the beach (we were on the 14th floor).

We left home around 10am Friday after dropping the dogs off at the kennel. Had a rainy drive, and decided to pull over for the night in North Carolina, stayed at a Hampton inn, we have never gone wrong with them and this was no exception. Got up and left around 9am, took our time and made several stops, knowing that we couldn't check in before 3:00.
We arrived Saturday around 4:30, just as a raging thunderstorm hit. We expected check in to be a little busy, but it was VERY busy. After standing in line for an hour, we started catching on to what was going on, apparently there was a big baseball tourney going on at the Cal Ripken Experience, and alot of large groups were staying at the resort. Well, many people were finding that their rooms still weren't ready, and some of them were returning after trying to check in at 4 (the time given by the resort) and being told that their rooms STILL weren't ready. Needless to say, alot of unhappy people. Lucky for us, our room was ready and we were able to go right up. We loved the room. Parking was a little dicey as there was no room in the garage, so we had to park across the street and unload from there, only to find that there is no elevator in that garage, it was a pain dragging all our stuff over to the hotel, (of course there were no carts to be found) but we survived. The kids were antsy after the long car ride, so we went out on the beach for a little bit, let them run off some energy, then went to the Crow's Nest restaurant on site for dinner. Not bad, really loud as they were doing karaoke, but no big deal. Made the dreaded trip to Walmart, wasn't as crowded as we expected, but they only had 4 lanes open so check out took forever. We took the kids to the pools for a while then called it a night.
Sunday we woke up to great weather, and headed straight for the beach. Spent the day on the beach and headed up to get ready for dinner. Went to Broadway and had dinner Liberty. Sat in the beer garden so we could watch the World Cup game. Dinner was ok, they have changed their menu and I am not a big fan anymore. It was happy hour so we just did drinks and appetizers. Again, it was ok. I was a little disappointed, but oh well. Walked around Broadway and let the boys run in the hamster wheel thingys on the lake, they were worn out after 5 minutes. Back to hotel for pool time, then bed.
Monday was more of the same, it was a little overcast til around noon, then the sun came out and it was wonderful, hot and sunny, just the way we like it! Kids were content with being on the beach all day. They have become shark tooth finding machines, they can spot them a mile away.They both spent the day catching fish with their nets, as well as the little sand fleas (mole crabs). My 6 year old started yelling that he found a big one, we run over and he has a huge ghost crab in his net. Kids (and adults) got a kick out of watching it crawl up on the beach. It was a cool find. We went up to clean up and headed to Barefoot Landing. This was only the second time I have been there and I really love it. We went to dinner at TBonz, and I gotta say, I loved it. Our waiter was outstanding, and the seafood dinner special was to die for. Best meal of the week by far. We walked over to the tiger station, let the kids watch the babies for awhile, one day I will talk the hubby into getting the picture with the tiger done, but he can't stomach the $84 price tag for the 2 seconds of holding the tiger. I think it looks awesome, and what an experience. I will win that one eventually :???: Went back to hotel and more pool time. Loved that the pools were open until 11:00.
Tuesday was more of the same, great weather, more beach time. We couldn't believe how warm the ocean was all week, seriously like bath water every day!! Kids caught more fish, I even caught a starfish, coolest thing ever!! If I figure out how to post pictures I will, it was the first time I'd ever seen one like that. Dinner that night was Ultimate California Pizza, which was great as always. Then went to the Aquarium. This is a must for us every year. I get a little bored with it, as we have a nice aquarium here at home that we have passes to, but my kids are fish freaks, and they would never let us get out of Myrtle Beach without going to Ripleys. This year was really nice though. The rotating exhibit was "The Swarm", and they had a huge tank of fish that they call doctor fish. It is full of the fish that salons are using for pedicures now. You could put your hands in there and they would swarm to you and sucker to your skin, I guess they eat the dead skin. I thought it would be creepy but it was really cool. We went back 3 or 4 times. It was a blast. Then while we were watching one of the dive shows, one of the care takers started talking to the boys, and loved how much info they were telling him, he took us on a sort of behind the scenes tour of the aquarium. He works with the octopus and he took us over to that tank and put his hand to the glass, this thing came out of it's hiding spot and swam right up to him, you could tell that they worked alot together, it was really neat all the things he got it to do. If you make it to the aquarium, look up Shannon, he's a great guy and was more than eager to tell and show our kids all they wanted to know. He really made the trip special for them.
Wednesday was another great weather and beach day, we did make our way up to the pools more today, both of my kids loved playing the shuffle board game so we spend some time over there. That night we actually spent most of the night at Coastal Grand Mall. They have several bouncy houses set up in there and we take the boys every year. They loved it and had a blast.
Thursday, yep, more great weather. More beach time. We wanted to make one more trip to Broadway at the Beach, nothing really sounded good for dinner, we always get a little fooded out by the end of the week. Hubby loves Liberty so we went back there, again, I was not impressed. He liked his dinner, but mine was just ok. Finished up some souvenir shopping and went back to the hotel for pool time.
Friday, our last day, is always a little depressing. We spent as much time as we could on the beach. Decided to hang around the hotel so we ordered dinner from the Crow's Nest and packed up the room. Let the kids swim all night in the pools. We had a very LOUD thunderstorm that night, so not much sleep for me. The rest of the crew slept like a rock.
Saturday we were up and out by 7am, it was cloudy and raining, so it made it a little easier to leave. Long but uneventful drive home. Every year we swear that we are going to come home a different way, got caught in the traffic jam at the 77/81 merge for 2 1/2 hours. Ugh, just makes a long trip even longer.
I know it isn't a very eventful trip report, but it was a WONDERFUL trip, as always, we had a great time and hated to come home!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:24 am 

Thanks so much for taking the time to report! Sounds like you had a really wonderful vacation! You packed a lot of fun activities in!
The last day is always the worst I agree :sad: !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:40 am 

Thank you for the great trip report. Sounds like a perfect vacation. It sounds asifyou have a very good attitude about life. Despite the long wait for check-in, lack of close parking and carts you still rated the Compass Cove highly. I appreciate people with positive attitudes. Thank you for sharing your vacation with us.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:18 pm 

Thanks for sharing! Trip reports are alwasy great no matter how short or how long they are! :bounce:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:23 pm 

Thanks for the report. We haven't tried TBonz in a long while. May need to add it to this year's line up.

All but once on Shore Drive

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:04 pm 

Thanks for taking the time to write a report. The week you went is our usual week in MB, and for some reason there has been a long streak of good weather the third week of June. I hope my July trip this year has the same fate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:07 pm 

Glad you had a great vacation at the Compass Cove. We usually stop on the second parking level and unload there. Barb will stay with everything while I park across the street. Then I walk back over and we walk in with our stuff. It's really nice that they have the extra parking across the street and it's locked down for security but it could be nicer if it had an elevator. Oh well, you only arrive once and leave once.

Image Paradise Resort Nov 2017 photo album Image

Our Myrtle Beach trip photo album

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:00 pm 

Glad you had a great trip!! Ours is getting closer .. 2 months 1 week 6 days lol I know the feeling on the last day ... I really hate leaving!! :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a trip report. Also, thank you for posting your Aquarium review and restaurant review in the appropriate topics.

It sounds like a grand vacation. You got to do a lot and I'm so happy to hear that Compass Cove worked out so well for you.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:59 pm 

Thanks for the great report! :hello:

We enjoy the aquarium, too. We don't visit every year, but we have a good time when we go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:27 pm 

It sounds like a great vacation. The nice weather would have been good for pool and beach time with the kids. Broadway at the Beach is a great place to spend time. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:30 pm 

Thanks for sharing...I am staring to get in beach trip mode...We will leave July 31!!! I know what you mean about the 77/81 split...we have been in that traffic slow down many times...there are not many side road options either...oh well...still worth it to have had a beach vacation!