Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:54 am 

Let me preface this report with a few notes...This was the first trip down since last Aug. because my mom had not been well and it was to be a shorter than usual trip. We knew we had a lot of work to do on the house/yard but it didn't matter we were going to enjoy ourselves immensely anyway and we did :hello: !

Sun. June 15 we departed NY and had a smooth uneventful trip down. We made it in 11 hours which is GREAT time! We pulled into the driveway and sighed with relief; we were home! The water came on and the inside of the house was perfect. We did a quick vacuuming, wiping counters, a quick unpacking/showers, and we were off. We ate at Ryan's in NMB and it was fine. We always say we are not going to eat there but for some reason we always do :dontknow: . I think it's the allure of pure southern junk food at it's best. Fried chicken, green beans/bacon, mac and cheeses; foods we don't get up in Yankee land (that's for you Alan :wink: .)

After dinner we went to the Cherry Grove beach and walked a bit. The air smelled so sweet and the ocean lapped the shore as if to wave hello. I just kept taking deep breathes to the point Paul warned hyperventilating could be in my future and did I want to pass out cold on our first day laying face down in a pile of sand and shells...whatever. After getting my breathing under control we walked over to Boulineau's for a few items. I adore this store and the beachy feel of every part of it. We did not purchase a thing. I seriously could not believe the prices they were charging for convenience sake. Butter was $5 a pound :shock: Sliced muenster in a pkg. $4.99 for 6 oz. :shock: . I just couldn't justify it. We went to Kroger's less than a mile away and spend literally 1/2 of what our bill would of been at Boulineau's...still love the store though :tongue3: .

Retired early and couldn't wait to begin our first actual beach day...

Last edited by Sun n' Fun on Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:52 am 

Monday dawned crystal clear and sunny :sunny: ! It was going to be a beautiful day! We rushed to get some outdoor chores done and headed to the beach directly or at least tried to...Paul had no bathing suit! WHAT??
Paul... "Em, I can't find my suit. I thought I left it here but I can't find it."
Em..."You're kidding right? We have to get to the beach now, we are wasting precious sun."
Paul..."I looked before we left at home and didn't see anything with palm trees on the legs so I thought it was here."
Em..."Paul, you're bathing suit does not have palm trees." "It has roses and skulls."
Paul..."Oh, yeah. Then it's definitely not here."
He wore shorts the first day :tongue3: !

We arrived and it was perfection! We use the beach at Cherry Grove so it has a bit of a more laid back feel that MB itself but we actually prefer that.
We actually got a shot before the hoards of people showed up! It was a very busy beach week, the weather was glorious all week so that was a plus! We sat, we read, and we swam. The water was a perfect 80! As the day went on the beach became more and more crowded but it was fine!
Saw a really handsome man while Paul and I were walking. Couldn't believe my eyes :shock: ! Was that Alan aka pop2748? It couldn't be! This man was so much better looking and distinguished than I remember! It was!!! Wow! He looked great :wink: ! Paul and I spent a good while chatting with him and on a serious note it was wonderful to catch up! He's really a very funny man and shares a lot of our political views!

Left the beach and headed home! We were going to try someplace new for dinner. Filet's in Little River. Review to follow with pics!
Review and pics for Filet's here viewtopic.php?f=49&t=14814&p=107360#p107360

Last edited by Sun n' Fun on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:37 am 

Great Report so far! Can't wait to hear the rest (especially to see if you let Paul buy a new swimsuit).

Scott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:35 am 

I love to hear trip reports from CHERRY GROVE!!! I noticed Boulineau's had gotten a little pricey, but man is that store the best! It is a vacation in itself. Looking forward to hearing more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:45 am 

Something I never really have thought about during other trips to NMB, tide times. It looks like when we'll be there next week, high is right in the middle of prime beach time! How was the "room"
during your week? Like the 17th high was at 11:38 and 12:41 on the 18th. Since it's been awhile that I've been there in the summer, wanted to know what to expect when it comes to beach real estate!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:56 am 

Tarheel92 wrote:
Something I never really have thought about during other trips to NMB, tide times. It looks like when we'll be there next week, high is right in the middle of prime beach time! How was the "room"
during your week? Like the 17th high was at 11:38 and 12:41 on the 18th. Since it's been awhile that I've been there in the summer, wanted to know what to expect when it comes to beach real estate!

Great question! The trick is to get there early...seriously. Set your chairs and umbrellas up by the "dry" sand above the high tide water line and you'll be fine. You'll be able to see the dry line clearly. We always set two little folding water chairs in front/side as well so people are not on top of us :wink:. The people who had the problem where those who showed up at 10:00-11:00 or so and the tide was climbing already. They just kept walking and searching for a dry non crowded area. Nothing worse than setting your beach gear up and then constantly moving it back to avoid the water.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:06 am 

After Filet's Paul and I went back to the beach and just set up our chairs and chilled. It was wonderful. I have to say twilight by the ocean has got to be one of my favorite times/places! It really connects you on so many levels to the beauty and awe of God's creations!
While sitting and just chatting we saw Alan again and spent some time visiting. Around 9:00 pm Paul jumped up and said we have to go I still don't have a bathing suit. Thank goodness we remembered there was a Wings or Eagles or some kind of beachware store right there on Sea Mtn. Highway so off we went. Paul did indeed get a new suit and we still made it home by 10:00!

Tuesday again was another amazing day weather wise. We knew we needed a bit more time doing "chores' that morning so we got up super early (6:30 am) and went to work! Paul had to fix a couple of shingles on the roof but our ladder wasn't long enough so he climbed the ladder then the Holly tree and made it up :hello:
The back field was bush hogged before we got there so we were good to go with that.

Spent the day at the beach doing the same as the day before! This was the first time Paul had been away since our horrendous snowy winter so he really enjoyed the sun! We got to swim that day because my husband was now dressed appropriately :wink: !
Got back to the house to clean up and this little guy was waiting for us.

Dinner that night was Capt. Juel's in Little River. The view from their deck was amazing and we had a really great time!
Review for Capt. Juel's here
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=15083

After dinner we again strolled the beach and had a wonderful end to another perfect MB day!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 am 

Wednesday morning we needed to go into Conway to see if we could get an existing land survey for our house. No such surveys are done evidently unless you hire someone privately though they did offer us an aerial view :dontknow: !! BUT before we left we had breakfast at Golden Griddle in NMB! Best breakfast around and you can tell this by the completely filled restaurant at whatever time of the morning you go! The pancakes are seriously some of the tastiest you will ever have...I promise!

Conway was lovely an we spent some time just walking around and enjoying it's beauty and history! What a great day trip for anyone who has a bit of extra time. Visited a Gullah shop http://ultimategullah.com/ that was so unique! We spoke with the salesperson and learned much about the Gullah culture and their lifestyle...fascinating. We also visited a quaint Christmas shop called river City Christmas that was just charming!

Paul took some pics of downtown Conway.

The temps were pretty warm that day near 90 so after we left Conway we knew we needed beach time! Went home changed and headed back to the beach around 3:00! Perfect again! The sun wasn't as hot and the beach wasn't crazy busy! We stayed until about 6:00 and then went over to Basil's for pizza and wings! I have sung the praise of this pizza joint for years and will continue to do so. Everything was hot, fresh, and the outdoor seating looking over Sea Mtn. Hgwy. is fun!! We got some pics this time and review is here
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11939&p=107391#p107391

Another perfect day!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:01 pm 

Pictures are wonderful and the trip report sounds great!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

Loving your trip review, Emmy! Thanks for the information, restaurant reviews, and especially the photos which always add a lot to a trip report.

Also enjoyed reading about Conway which always seems to always lie in Myrtle Beach's shadow. There are so many people who pass it by because they're in a hurry to get to the beach. Yet they have a beautiful and historic cemetery, a charming River Walk and some lovely shops as you discovered. Plus, it's the County Seat.
http://www.funbeaches.com/Conway.SC.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the report. The pictures make me that much more excited to get to MB.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:57 pm 

Great report and I love the pictures. We also love going to Bulineau's but fully agree. It is very expensive for groceries but we love to just snoop around upstairs. They have quite the inventory.
I am glad you enjoyed Filets. It was expensive and I agree regarding the salad and bread but the meal was delicious and a very generous portion. It was nice to try something different.
Thankfully you had no surprises when you went to open your house. It sounds like the weather is perfect for beaching. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:00 pm 

Loving your pics. Taking notes for our trip :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:03 am 

Sorry for the delay folks... sometimes life just gets in the way of important things like MB trip reports :wink: !

I will start you off with a beautiful Gladiola flower from our side yard. It's amazing even though we are not in the house full time the flowers and trees we have planted continue to thrive!

Thursday we knew we had the meet-up that night so we took it easy that day! We did a full day at the beach just enjoying. Again the weather was perfect. I believe I posted this picture of some of my collection before but I want to share it again.
These shells are called Calico Scallop shells and are impossibly hard to find intact along the Carolina beaches. I mean these little guys hide!! It is my quest to find at least one every trip. They usually are found whole as the tide is coming in along the breakers. We found 3 this trip :cheerleader: !! I keep them in a box on my desk here in NY and when I need a pick me up I lift the lid and stare in awe at their perfect little shells!

We headed out around 4:30 to Barefoot for the meet-up. My son Sy wasn't with us this trip and he asked for some homemade taffy from Wee R Sweets http://wee-r-sweetz.com/ This place is located at Barefoot Landing and BATB. We stopped there first. Great fresh taffy!

The meet-up was wonderful as usual. Patrish and Wally at this point are like family! I hugged Patrish and then I grabbed and hugged her again...it's an Italian thing :wink: ! It was so good to see them! Vicki and Kay are the sweetest ever and Kay kept me in stitches joking and just being a dear!! They are both very dear to Paul and I as they were some of the first MBMB2 members we met! Ruann (Alan's wife) is just lovely! She is super friendly and very sweet! Alan's children and grandchildren were great as well. Did I miss anyone...thinking, thinking, thinking. Nope, that's everyone I can remember that made our evening a PLEASURE :wink: !
Oh wait...I forgot about Alan! Please see picture above as he does appear to be mocking my hair yet again!! Though in all honesty you can barely see Kay due to my naturally curly hair hiding the poor man :shock: :shock: !

After the meal at River City in Barefoot Landing we all walked around and watched a great entertainment show of juggling and comedy. It was great to see Barefoot Landing so busy and crowded! It was hard to say goodbye to everyone and we will miss them all until we are together again!

Friday was our last day. We knew this trip was to be a quick one but it still makes you sad. We trimmed some more hedges and did some yard work and then made a quick trip to the beach yet again. The power of the ocean is so darn alluring it's hard to get away :sad: ! We headed back to the house to finish any last minute chores and began packing and doing laundry. The only good thing is our next trip down should be MUCH less work and more play!

We decided on Italian for our last night. We found a coupon for buy 1 get 1 at Villa Tuscanna in NMB! This was the best meal of our entire trip! Please take a minute and read the review and view pics here. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=14616&p=107462#p107462
It was that good!

Well, we got back to the house and loaded the car. I loathe this part :sad: ! We had, thank God, an uneventful 12 1/2 hour trip home the next morning. As we were driving away it was very dark out but the light on inside our little house seamed to say "Hurry back, we'll miss you" as we drove by.

Thanks for taking the time to read along. We didn't do too much exciting stuff but we did have an amazing rejuvenating time under the sun! Until next time... :sunny:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:24 am 

Great report - Thanks for your pics..... Will have to make it out to Conway some trip !