Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 pm 

We stayed in North Myrtle for the first time in our 25+ years of going to Myrtle Beach. We've always been south people because more times than not, we've stayed at Pirateland or Ocean Lakes in our camper. But because our children are technically adults now :cry: , and aren't really into camping anymore, we sold our camper. We've previously stayed at The Reef at South Beach and liked it fine, but the LOUD activities at the pool were sometimes annoying. (One can only listen to 8, 9, and 10 year olds sing Taylor Swift songs so many times without losing the mind :geek: ) I picked Blockade Runner based on tripadvisor reports. I actually googled "quiet, clean, cheap motel in Myrtle Beach" (or something like that) and Blockade Runner was the winner! It is a VERY clean motel with only 3 stories. It's older, but they obviously work hard to keep that from being apparent. The rooms were larger than I expected and all were ocean front. Check in was a breeze and even though our room wasn't ready when we arrived, they gave us the key and let us put our things in our assigned room while the maids finished up. Speaking of key, I lost it in the ocean within 20 minutes of having it and the super nice guy at the desk laughed and handed me another. No extra charge, just a smile! The beach was definitely less crowded than when we stayed at the south campgrounds and just as beautiful! We also found just as many sharks' teeth. :cheerleader: . The pool was smaller and you couldn't really see the ocean from the pool like I had hoped, but I would definitely stay again. This year (next week) we are staying at The Avista, as we are taking more people with us this time and require more room. I've heard good and bad about Avista...I'll report back once I arrive!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:56 pm 
Site Admin

LOL! I've missed seeing you on the board. Thanks for coming back, and for this wonderful trip review!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:47 am 

Thanks for sharing with us. Can't wait to hear about Avista.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:56 am 

So glad you liked the Blockade Runner. We stayed there in 2001 and chose it just like you did, searching for a "quiet" hotel. The pool is small, but our kids were small back then. I really liked the location and the fact that you can walk 4 blocks to Basil's Pizza (our favorite pizza on the Grand Strand) and the Original Duffy Street Seafood Shack (our favorite seafood restaurant).

Thanks for the trip report. I've heard great things about Avista, so hope it is a wonderful trip for you.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:56 am 

Never stayed at Blockade Runner but always heard good things from people who did. Friend of mine is disabled firefighter who comes down for extended stays and Blockade Runner is his "home" for weeks and months at a time.
As Scott says. Can't beat the location. We now have three places we like to stay at within a block or three of Sea Mtn. Been here since last Sat and only been in car twice.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:29 am 

" I really liked the location and the fact that you can walk 4 blocks to Basil's Pizza (our favorite pizza on the Grand Strand)"

Scott[/quote]

Never tried Basil's Pizza! I'll have to be sure to check it out this go around!