Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 pm 

Love the report. Soap suds added some fun. Have a great week

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:37 am 

Started the day on balcony trying to figure out the goings on down on the beach. End of Sea Mtn is maybe 100 yards to our north. Couple hundred teens in a group. Too well organized to be the groups we've been watching all week. Divided into two groups and competed in a series of relays. Lots of yelling and cheering. Just wild guess I'd say local high school hasn't graduated yet and this was Senior Day activity.
Have to wonder. All these other teens head to MB after graduation. Where do MB graduates go after graduating?

Two of our group didn't have entire week for vacaion. Others ran them down to airport for 45 minute flight home. Ruann and I are already figuring how we can do that someday. High tide early afternoon. Set up camp at high tide mark. Mix and matched the sun screen spf's with some time wearing a shirt. Survived the day on the beach with little damage.

Walked to Basil's for dinner. Not crowded but was going to be short wait for large table for 7. Was turning to sit on bench when I heard "We're leaving." "Here's a table." Turned my head.....Emmy and Paul. Can't hide from these people.

Was an interesting walk and dinner. Makes me want to reconsider staying within walking distance to everything. Driving might be safer. Crossing street in front of building. Well marked crosswalk with the "State Law" signs......Car missed me by few feet. Teenagers and girl driving on cell phone.
While sitting at outside table at Basil's I watched two car loads of teens do u-turns on Sea Mtn. A near accident where woman couldn't enter Boulineua's lot and car behind laid on horn in anger.
Before I could say something about drivers......Boom....boom.....Three car collision within fifty feet of our table. Jeep Cherokee had stopped. Pick up behind him stopped. Pizza delivery car.....didn't.....Pizza delivery guy looked like Santa. All involved got out on cell phones. Delivery guy immediately removed his Hungry Howie's pizza sign.....Girl with the guy in Jeep gets out.... Walks to guy on sidewalk and walks away. Driver of Jeep drives around block and returns only to leave scene all together before cops get there.
Wait...Wait....Entertainment isn't over yet....Load of teen boys riding in truck bed. As it slows for stop light a boy lost his ball cap. He jumps out of truck...Foot hits the rubberized traffic arrow on the pavement... Slips...falls... gets hat and returns to truck....Everybody on sidewalk and dining tables clapped and cheered.

Finished the night walking on beach with flashlight looking for shark teeth. Very few shells this week to be found.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:24 pm 

Before I continue the report....I have to take a few minutes to make an apology.
It was brought to my attention at the Meet Up that I have offended somebody with part of my report.
Apparently......Italian females......from north of the Mason Dixon Line.......Don't like the term "bushy" when describing their hair....
The proper term is "curly"........
My apologies to Miss Em....
Thank God I pronounced stromboli correct...........
P.S.
Her mom was on the phone and she had no problem with the "bushy" description. But.....I'm a guy.....So I was wrong.......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:44 am 

Rule #1: I'm a guy.....So I was wrong.......

Rule #2: see Rule #1

Emmy - with all the trauma Pop has lived through this vacation, please find it in your heart to forgive... after all, he's just a man. :nanner:

Looking forward to the pics from the Meet-up !

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:53 am 

KirkG wrote:
Rule #1: I'm a guy.....So I was wrong.......

Rule #2: see Rule #1
!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:02 pm 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! (To quote Larry the Cable Guy) That's funny right there; I don't care who you are! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:03 pm 

Behind on reading reports but saw you were from Charleston, WV which isn't far from Pikevillle, KY.. so figured this to be good... LOL.. Glad you've had a safe trip and things are going good..We don't go down until Sept. What caught my attention was the Hillbilly comment .. I thought OH my what have we done.. LOL.. It could have been worse LOL.. Enjoy your stay and have a safe trip home...

Enjoying your trip report!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:08 pm 

We are across the river in Ohio and when the kids were little we took them to the charleston mall every Christmas to see the decorations and the huge tree they used to have in the mall. We are maybe 1 1/2 hrs or less from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:14 pm 

Thursday
Up with short walk up the beach. On the way back down. Saw the Yankees again. Informed them about all the Basil's excitement.
Great beach day as they've all been. Not a cloud in the sky since that short storm on Sun.
Mid afternoon took walk to pier with daughter. WOW!!!!! All those groups of kids we've been seeing were just the worker bees searching the area for more sugar. Up above Sea Mtn was the main hive. Thousands of teens. I've never seen anything like it. Morning walks they're not up and out yet. They are in the afternoon.
High tide and not a lot of dry sand space. Crowded on a good day. Clusters of teens all along the high tide line. Few if any were sitting. Groups standing with hundred or more per group. We were forced to walk out in knee deep water most of the way. Occasionally we'd see a smaller group of couples or families squeezed in along the dry sand. Felt sorry for them. No way they were enjoying a peaceful week.

Off to the meet up. Great fun as always. As you already heard we had a good time with hair descriptions. Wally and Kay are both from WV. We also had fun explaining to Emmy the definition of "holler" and "hollow". I could have really confused her if I'd said Winnie The Pooh lived in a holla tree.

Noticed it was about same time we were at Barefoot earlier in week. Walked down the sidewalk to see if juggler was there again. He was. Patrish walked off to get better position for pictures. During his routine he started talking about lady with camera. He stopped and posed for "the picture lady". No doubt in any of our minds who he was talking about. Looking at her pics......I think he was flirting with her.

Spent some time on balcony around midnight. Teen drama out by pool. Not sure what did or didn't happen out on the dark beach but girl came back across walkway to building all upset. Boy chased her and forced his way in front of her to block her path through the gate to pool. Lots of words and he did grab her a few times stopping her. I was about to play crusty ol' grandfather type by stepping in but they separated for a while. He still wouldn't let her by. Her friends finally showed up and she got away. Boy went ballistic and slammed gate several times trying to tear it off hinges.

Friday
Ruann up with me this morning. Walked to pier with stop at "store" on the way back. Half expected to see the New Yorkers one more time. Remembered today was work day for Paul. He had some landscaping to do cutting back bushy(curly) shrubs and trees around their house.
Played with Map My Walk on my phone. Very accurate following the route. Elevation has me confused. I guess the global warming crowd might be right. Our shore lines are messed up. According to Map My Walk I went from 39 feet above sea level to 141 feet above......Walking on beach at low tide......

Felt like we owed the kids one more something. We've been positioned next to banana boat outfit all week. Even talked and joked with them a few times. Checked on price expecting it to be $20 per head. Before 11am it was only $10. Only four of us willing to do it.
Boy it's rough. I figured close to whitewater rafting. Nope. 5 times as rough if not more.......
Part of my trouble was trying to hold 9 year old Hayley on the raft in front of me. Wasn't a pretty sight but we all made it without anybody falling off.

Either we did good with budget or Ruann just threw in towel. Breakfast at Golden Griddle on Main Street. Think they have some WV connections. Ate there few trips back and love it. Mix up getting us in and woman was very apologetic. I said no problem. Just glad she spoke English. She laughed. She agreed it's getting to be a big problem in MB.

One more beach day before packing. Dinner was leftovers and goodie bags trying to clean fridge. Kids out at wings now. Should be on road by 9am tomorrow to beat traffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:39 pm 

The Friday of MB vacation is always a sad time for me. The MB week being one of the main highlights of the year is a time when I want time to slow down just a little. When Friday hits, you just know that it is a "long" wait before it happens again. We usually golf a few times during vacation, but Fridays are always designated beach time. We always take that last, long look at the ocean before packing up the gear and heading back home, and it's really sad knowing that your feet is not going to hit the sand for 51 more weeks.

Thanks so much for taking time to write a report.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:08 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent trip review, Alan! So glad Wally and I got to spend some time with you and Ruann.Be safe!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:22 am 

Mmmm...Golden Griddle...... :sunny:

Vacation pics 2014

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 am 

Alan,

Great report! I too have taken a banana boat trip and you are right it is a very rough ride. For years I compared it to a bucking bronco :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:32 am 

Great report! I enjoy the detail and humour in your reports. I always look forward to reading them. Sounds like a great vacation! Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:32 pm 

I too went on a banana boat ride, like Alan did, one that held 10 people, 5 on each side. My son and I the only ones riding at the time, maybe because the weather was not too nice :roll: It rained the whole week one yr, the last day it was slightly nicer. So the guy offered to take us out. He said its kind of rough but we can go.

I was so excited. So son and I go, 5 minutes into the ride my arms are hurting etc, Im getting tired and scared :shock: My son keeps yelling hold on!!! How I wanted to be back on land. We took a break about 10 minutes into ride. I knew if I fell off I"d stay in the ocean, I have NO upper body arm strength, but the legs are strong.

Before deciding to go on the ride I said a 20 minute ride, that is so short for so much $$. More than 10 I know.

Well, It was more than enough time and I was so relieved to be done

Guess it may have been worse due to the rough water.

Husband didnt go, he has a fused wrist, so for any of you with arm or hand, or any physical back problesm etc. stay on the land. Hubby said, I told you so. :cry:

I enjoyed your report, they are always enjoyable reading.