Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:37 pm 

Last month I've been working my Fridays off for extra beach money. Had planned on working the 13th but by Thursday I pretty much told them to consider me no longer employed there for next 10 days. Spent Friday running errands, kenneling dogs and all the other good stuff we all go through before leaving.
This trip there are nine of us. Youngest son, daughter, sig. others and grandkids. Two vehicles. Ruann's Kia Sorento and my extended cab Silverado. Compared to the toy car the gas for this trip is going to hurt our budget. Packing was a breeze. With third row seat being used in car there was little room in it. Almost over did it with the truck. Packed a lot of food and games we normally don't carry. It all fit but was tight.
On the road around 2am Sat morning. Drive down uneventful. Couple long rest stops because of lack of sleep. Breakfast at Rockingham Huddle House.
Both vehicles made it to Chadbourne on tank of gas. This little town has major crime problem. Have stopped at BP there before. They don't allow backpacks or hoodies in the store because of thefts. Cars lined up at pumps. I was afraid there was a run on gas because of Iraq situation. Have to pay at pump or in advance so that slows things. Icing on cake was slow pumps. 10 minutes to pump 20 gallons. Guy behind us asked how big my tank was because it was taking so long.
Smooth sailing on into beach. People leaving not so good. Guess it was around 10 by then and everybody must have left all at once. Our plan for next week will be leave at daylight.
Arrived at Elliott and checked on possible early check in. Room not ready but nothing we didn't expect. Was expecting to get check in out of the way and then get a call but was told to return at 3.
Kids changed in car. Adults at gas station rest room. Headed to beach. Been awhile since being here in June or summer season. Every public access point full. Golf carts fill up spaces for cars. Ended up way up above Cherry Grove Pier.
Walked up around the inlet. Highly recommend people make an effort to go up there at low tide. Unbelievable how wide and empty the beach is up there. Looks like the inlet is so low at low tide people are walking over to Waite's Island. Found a few shells. A live starfish. Was a nice afternoon on the beach.
Back to Elliott at 3. Checked in and received our goodie bag but.......Room not ready. Can use the parking building and pool but no room til they call. Why they couldn't have said that at 12 I'll never know.
Ate late lunch/early dinner at.......Boulineua's..........Yeah it's too early in trip to be throwing them in the report but we were desperate by this time. It was super air conditioned which we were needing pretty bad by then. Free refills to drinks that we were needing. Wide variety of choices so everybody got something they liked and price wasn't too bad. After the meal we sat and cooled off while the younger ones shopped. Win/win across the board.
Headed to building around 4. Still no call from Elliott. Hit the pool and relaxed.. Called them and couldn't get through the automated nonsense. At 5 we knocked on the unit door. No answer. Went in. Cleaned. Linens there. We moved in. Never did get call from Elliott.
Unit is great. Never stayed here before but have heard good things. All units are three bedroom. Plenty of room for the 9 of us. Only negative is the king bed in the details is in smaller bedroom while queen is in the master. We might touch at night.
Some more beach/pool time. Ruann and others went to store that I won't name to stock up on a few items. She said it was mad house. Not just the usual summer guests checking in but young kids. We're guessing many schools are just now graduating so senior week for a lot of them. The purchase of choice for most of them. Orange juice. Their parents would be so proud.
One by one the crew crashed. By ten I was last man standing. Was still awake at 1 am. I tell ya. Diet Sunkist is just as potent as Mt Dew in the caffeine department.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:00 pm 

Glad you are finally in your rooms and settled! We always eat at the Rockingham Huddle House...it has much better food than the Huddle House that is closest to us...three bedroom units would be great! Room for all...can't wait to hear more about your trip...good thing about staying up late ...you can sleep all day on the beach!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

>...Still no call from Elliott.
That's weird. I suppose you were totally paid up in advance? Otherwise you could lave the same way you came...without talking to Elliott.

Glad you're there safe and sound, Alan. Thanks for reporting in. Wally and I look forward to seeing you and the others on the 19th.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:59 pm 

I would be ticked. There is nothing worse than waiting around for your room :roll:

Enjoy your vacay and thanks for the LIVE report :nanner:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25 pm 

Thanks for the report. One thing that is needed with a 2 a.m departure is for the hotel room to be ready when it should be. Sometimes you get lucky and they call early, but I would really be upset if I had to wait longer than I was supposed to. I never end up sleeping when I get in the room (due to excitement I guess) but it is nice to be able to sit down and rest for a little while. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 am 

Sun.
Last one to sleep. First one up. Headed straight out for my walk. Slow walk at first looking for shark teeth. I guess the local shark signed up for Obamacare and now have dental coverage, Not a tooth to be found. Gave up and kicked into another gear and made it a long walk to Main St. Huge horseshoe crab washed up and stuck in sand, A large fish of some sort washed up. Down at Main the tide was just about all the way in. Pretty congested by Avista, Ashworth, etc.....
The tent ban is making big difference. Beach isn't near as bad as it has been last few years. Did see one pop up and one canopy but by the time I turned and did home stretch they were back down.
Back at condo breakfast was being cooked. High tide in Cherry Grove is maybe hour behind Ocean Drive. No hurry to get back out. Around 11 I headed out to stake out my spot in the sand while others stayed at pool. Sat and read until sleepy.
Text on phone to return to condo. Then I saw the pic. Between sleep deprivation and colors of detergent being opposite what she uses at home. Ruann had filled dishwasher with regular dish soap. Never a dull moment with this bunch. Took several attempts throughout the day of filling and dipping out by hand but can finally run the washer again without suds pouring through the door. Hillbillies and indoor plumbing..........
Early afternoon a storm BLEW in. Sky was dark inland but not too bad over the beach. The wind was very strong. We stayed out as long as we could. First smaller rain drops weren't bad but then they became huge and driven by the wind. Painful. Headed inside.
From balcony really couldn't tell it was raining. Looking over to HOTO's the people were all huddled under umbrellas. 8-10 per umbrella. In parking lot the golf carts were lined up with people under the cart canopies. Some had umbrellas between the carts. The cart roofs plus the umbrellas made fairly decent protection.
By 3 the sun was back out. Another quick walk up to Cherry Grove Pier. The high school kids are thick up that way. Really not that bad behavior but they could do with some growing up. Back in to clean up. Dick's Last Resort for dinner. I know. I know. Not the greatest place but 9 year old Hayley ate there few years ago with us and all she wanted to do was go back to get the condom hats. She has no idea why they're called that or understands half the humor written on them but....She couldn't wait to do it again.
Couldn't ask for better timing. At 6 we went in without any wait at all. My guess is waiters tone it down for families. Ours was loud but not rude. Some humor. It was pleasant if you can say that about Dick's. Probably first meal I've had there that I could actually say was good. Steak and shrimp was good but not worth the price. Guess they have to charge more to pay for all the napkins and straws they waste by throwing them. All in all it was fun.
Walked around Barefoot. Don't know if it will be all season or what schedule is. Little British juggler does a street performance in front of tiger exhibit. Was maybe 8:30 when we caught the show. Very entertaining and comical. Lots of audience participation. Well worth the small tip he begs for........
Back to condo and walk up street to "++++++++++'s" for ice cream cones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:46 am 

Quote:
Hillbillies and indoor plumbing..........

Thanks - needed a good laugh this morning ! Great report !

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 am 
Site Admin

>...Ruann had filled dishwasher with regular dish soap.
Tell her not to feel bad. I did the same thing myself once on vacation. Beach house was split level w/kitchen on upper level. Suds gushed right down the stairs into the family room. What a mess.

Loving your trip report!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 am 

"THINK" we just passed Emmy.....Ruann and I just walked down to Ocean Drive. As we approached our building I saw head of bushy hair coming at us. Walked within few feet of her. She looked. I looked.....Ruann said it must not be her if she didn't know me.....I stopped and waited. She walked down a little farther and turned back. I stood there and looked her eye to eye. Still not sure.
HEY EMMY......You wearing flowered suit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:12 pm 

:ac41[1]:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:01 pm 

YAY!!!!! A live trip report by Alan!!! :) His reports are always my favorite ones to read! (Gee, wish I could get the dancing bananas & other cute emojis from the board on Tapatalk :( )

Karen in Upstate SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:10 pm 

Mon-Tues......
Couple slow days. Slept a little later. Ruann was up and walked with me. Down to Ocean Drive and back. Not all the way to Main but turned at first building.(Maritime).
Back to Cherry Grove where I thought I saw Emmy. Later in day when I set up camp and strolled up to end of Sea Mountain I saw her again. It was Emmy and we talked for good bit. Later that evening I was strolling up that way again just before dark looking for shark teeth. Somebody yelled from their chairs and they were still there. Well. Think they had been home to clean up and came back after dinner.
We ate in and watched soccer game on TV. I was nursing sunburn. When applying sunscreen Mon morning I grabbed bottle of 50 by mistake. Legs, arms. Ruann was standing there so had her do back. Some debate over my not getting any sun at all because of the 50........Yeah right...... Midafternoon I could tell I was getting more sun than expected. Another hour or so I remembered....... I had paid so much attention(sometimes) to Ruann's sunscreen knowledge. I forgot to finish applying it to rest of body. The 50 spf worked great. 0 spf.....Not so good.....

Tuesday.... Knew I was going to stay out of sun. Not that it hurt but didn't need to push the issue. Two of our group will be flying home on Wed. Game plan was to do waterpark on Tues anyway. Bad thing.......We were very slow getting started. High tide was around noon. We knew it was going to knock out any beach time but instead of heading south we sat on balcony watching it come in all the way before leaving.
Actually took coupons.....And of course we failed to get any use out of them. I was so proud of myself for having them. They quit accepting coupons in the afternoon when rates go down.
Left Surfside around 6. Stopped at airport for boarding passes. Back to condo for quick clean up.
Duffy Street for 8pm dinner. Good as usual. Little trouble getting in. Girl taking names couldn't understand "Smith....Party of nine..."She went and found somebody just as bad. Third person was finally able to take our name.......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:31 am 
Site Admin

So glad you got to see Emmy! I have not heard from her since they got here...Vicki either...so I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow evening.

>...0 spf.....Not so good....
LOL! The intensity of the sun often surprises our visitors, or maybe it's the breeze that fools them. But you should know better. And I know when I see Ruann she will have a perfectly gorgeous tan like she always does, and I will be jealous, like I always am!

Loving your trip report and all the smiles that go along with it. Can't understand Smith?? Your accent isn't THAT bad. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:27 am 

Alan, Enjoying the posts.. Patrish and I were out on State Park Pier Monday... I waved at you... Hope you saw us... It was a clear day and we could see all the way to Cherry Grove. Look forward to seeing everyone Thursday! Still laughing at that Dishwasher photo... :nanner: :nanner: Enjoy your day...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:18 pm 

As always, loving your trip report! Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the week...no more bubble baths in the kitchen I hope!!

Vacation pics 2014