Myrtle Beach Message Board

Welcome to the Myrtle Beach Message Board Forum
Contact me: patrish@funbeaches.com

It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sea Watch 6/14-6/21
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:09 pm 

Love those live trip reports! Keep them coming!

Karen in Upstate SC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Sea Watch 6/14-6/21
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 pm 

Day 3

If I could pick the weather for a perfect beach day, today's weather would have been it. Nothing but blue skies and sunshine all day and the temperature was in the low 80's with what felt like low humidity, which was nice. I'm from central Georgia where all you have to do is walk outside in the middle summer and you start sweating within minutes. And we don't usually have a nice breeze like they have here.

We spent most of the day on the beach and spent a little time at the pool. With the high tide this morning it was very crowded on the beach at first, but as the day went on the beach got very wide and gave everyone plenty of room. The water felt like a heated swimming pool and was pretty calm for most of the day, which did not really make for ideal boogie boarding conditions. I've noticed the last couple of days vendors selling frozen lemonade off of carts passing through the beach. I'm not sure if this is something new this year or if maybe it is only done in certain areas of the beach, but I may have to try one before the week is up.

For dinner tonight we went to Wild Wing Cafe in Barefoot Landing. I wanted to watch the USA-Ghana World Cup match and I knew that they would have it on, so that's where we ended up. I got some wings and was able to see the game on the big screen, so it worked out. And the USA won 2-1 in a exciting finish to make it even it better. After dinner, we walked around a while and went into a few shops until we decided to call it a night. We were going to stay for fireworks, but decided to head back and relax at the condo.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:34 am 
Site Admin

So glad you're having such good weather and a fun vacation!

Yes, it gets hot here in the summer, but thankfully the ocean breeze can make a huge difference. I have heard people say they wouldn't want to move here because it gets too hot. But unlike landlocked states, we always have the ocean breeze!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Myrtle-B ... 550?v=wall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:47 am 
Site Admin

Meant to mention that the beach vendors have been around as long as I can remember. I took this photo in 2009:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:39 pm 

Great report so far!!

True story about the lemon ice girls. YEARS ago, my uncle during his month long stays in the summer went and purchased all the Lemon Ice one girl had. In exchange for doing this (along with a nice tip), he pushed the cart and sold Lemon Ice all day. My uncle is really tall and does not have a care in the world so I can see him doing this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:03 am 

Thanks for info on the lemon ice girls. We have been staying at Island Vista the past several years and had just never seen them.

Day 4

Today was another great day here at Sea Watch. The weather was the same as it was on Monday, just chamber of commerce weather. After last year when it was not so great weather for much of the week, this is more like it. The waves were much better today for riding on boogie boards and of course the water was warm again.

We stayed out until about 5:00 when the life guard left his post. My kids favorite thing to do down here other than the beach is playing mini golf, so tonight we decided we would go play. Before we played, we went to eat at Ultimate California Pizza Game Zone, which is just a couple of minutes for Sea Watch. It was excellent. My wife and I both had the Monterey pizza which is spinach pizza with the red sauce and four different kinds of cheeses. It was very tasty.

We wanted to play a different mini golf course this year so drove north to see what looked interesting. We decided on Mutiny Bay in North Myrtle Beach. It wasn"t the most challenging course, but I did enjoy it. The scenery was nice with the waterfalls and the pirate ship, which was the focus of the show that happens every 30 minutes. The only negative was losing to my son my one stroke and now I have to hear it from him for another year.

On the way back we stopped in Kroger to pick up a few things and then we headed "home" for the evening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:20 am 
Site Admin

Sounds like this has been a perfect vacation for you! Thanks so much for letting us follow you around!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:26 am 

If I came across a Lemon Ice girl that looks as good as the one in the photo Patrish posted, I'd buy it all day long too! Great trip report so far. You're certainly helping to satisfy our craving. Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:53 am 

We've lost the lemon/ice girls in NMB. They were here for years and yes they made the view much more desirable. Few years back the push carts were replaced with atv's with coolers mounted on the back. They also had atv's selling sunscreen, sunglasses and other beach items you might have forgot or lost. The bikini clad gals were replaced with guys. Between the view and the constant smell of engine fumes it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Took us two days to realize there hasn't been any beach venders this year........

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:00 pm 

We stayed at the Sea WAtch 4 times but in September. BeAch was not crowded but I know at high tide not much room especially in summer. That's why we stay at a different place in mid summer

Thanks for posting

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:50 pm 

Day 5

Just like most of the previous days, it was more of the same. Another great beach day. Although this one did not go so well for my wife. At some point before we went up to go to lunch, she was complaining of her eye bothering her. She wasn't sure if maybe something had gotten in one her contact lenses and that was causing the problem. While we were eating lunch in our condo it was bothering her more so I drove over to the CVS near Sea Watch and got some eye wash and that seemed to help a little, but it still bothered here the rest of the day.

She wasn't in the water at all, so we're thinking maybe some sand got in her eye. A couple weeks ago she had elbow surgery so she cannot get in the water and I know that is killing her not to be able to get in the ocean this week and now this. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

For dinner we made the trip down to Murrells Inlet. We really enjoy the Marsh Walk and all of the scenery and all. We usually eat at Creek Ratz or Dead Dog Saloon when we go and this year we ate at Dead Dog Saloon. I had the crab sandwich which I had before and it was as good as I remember it being. And of course, the hushpuppies are awesome and I probably could have eaten the whole basket myself while we waited on our food.

We came on back a little early tonight since we had been out sort of late the last couple of nights. I think everyone was ready to just relax a little bit after today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am 

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We should be leaving this coming Saturday to head down to SW, but decided to totally gut kitchen in place of our MB trip this year…..I told the contractor it had better be worth it!!!!! :lol:

Post subject: Sea Watch 6/14-6/21
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:46 am 

Day 6

Once again it was another great day at the beach. And today I finally tried the frozen lemonade. But just my luck the day I decide to get one, a dude is pushing the cart. It was good and since it was really hot out it was even better.

Today was Thursday which means the DJ is will be in the pool area at Sea Watch. My kids seemed to enjoy the music and all of the games that they have like hula hoop, limbo, etc.

Tonight we went to the Pelicans game and it was packed. I'm pretty sure it had a lot to do with it being $1 beer night. The concession stands had long lines and I think missed three innings standing in line. I'm a huge baseball fan so I really love going when we are here. The game was good and afterward they had fireworks.

Sadly, tomorrow is our last beach day.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:50 am 
Site Admin

Quote Heath:
>...But just my luck the day I decide to get one, a dude is pushing the cart
:lol:
Again, everyone has loved reading your live trip reports! Thanks so much...your contributions to our message board are very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:08 pm 

Awsome trip report! Thank You and have a safe trip home!